Restored topic from history not syncing across devices

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I've successfully restored a lost topic from Evernote history on my computer but the topic does not show up as restored on my iPad or other devices. How do I make this restored topic available so it will show across my devices?

The correct terminology is Note; not topic

When you restored the note, there was a dialog as in

Your notes have been placed into a local notebook named 'Import -Project Reading List'.  The total size of the imported notes is 1.6 KB.  Would you like these notes placed into a synchronized notebook?

So your note was restored to notebook    Import xxxxxx
If you chose the Local Notebook option, Your note will be on your computer, but not synced anywhere

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When syncing, the Evernote servers are the hub.  So     device  <>  Servers  <>  device

The first place I'd check is the www.evernote.com to confirm if the Note was synced to the server

This will tell you if the problem is with your computer or with your other devices

I have no idea what to do at this point, except that I need to confirm if my note was synced to the server... so I am posting a picture of my screen, blurred info, but can you tell me which button I need to click on to get to the place where I can see if the note was synced to the server? I have downloaded the history for that note over and over so now all I have is repeated instances of the same notes (did not help anything) which I can delete once I find out if it has synced to the server.

evernote_screen.jpg

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I need to confirm if my note was synced to the server

Can we focus back on your desktop computer

When you did the restore, your note was downloaded and assigned to Notebook: Import xxxx, which may be a local notebook
The first thing you want to do is clean that up.
- probably delete the bad note version
- move the note from this temporary notebook to one of your notebooks

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I am posting a picture of my screen, blurred info, but can you tell me which button I need to click on to get to the place where I can see if the note was synced to the server?

Welcome to the web version and the new user interface standards
We're also seeing this in the new IOS release

You can get an idea of the icons on the left panel by hovering over them
The first icon Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 11.38.55 AM.png is to create a new note

The second Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 11.39.04 AM.png is to do a search

I would use this to search for your note.  Type some text that you know is in the note and the middle panel will show a list of all the notes that match

Okay, I did the search while on my computer and it found all seven of my imports... The problem is, when I go to any other device, the actual content of all seven of the notes is not there but the seven copies of the notes 'tagline' or 'heading' is there but nothing inside, just blank and the line that says 'start writing.' ... same problem I had that originated these discussions. There is nothing in any of my devices for that note, all other notes are fine. Is there a limit as to how many words can be in a note? I think I had maybe 800 words total in the note... it is my longest notes. That is all I can think of that might be a reason that this note's content was deleted off of my devices. I was able to restore from history on my computer, but that is all.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

there are no controls showing where I can delete the bad empty note from history.

On my Mac, to delete a note I right click in the Note List, and select deleteScreen Shot 2017-01-29 at 5.17.33 AM.png

Evernote has no restriction on note titles; you can have multiple versions of a note and it is up to you to rename or delete

>>'tagline' or 'heading' is there but nothing inside, just blank and the line that says 'start writing.' ... same problem I had that originated these discussions.

The Macs have a bug where there's a delay in rendering notes
They show as empty at first and if we start typing we will lose our content
I give it time to finish rendering and my note contents appear

>>I was able to restore from history on my computer, but that is all.

When you look at your note it will show the Notebook being used
When you did your restore, this was set to a temporary Local Notebook
By clicking on the notebook, you can move the note to your usual notebook where it will be synced to other devices

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 5.27.22 AM.png     Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 5.45.19 AM.png

DTLow, You are really good at this... I tried right-clicking on the history list items, to no avail of course, but didn't think to click on the header... I'll try that... I'm still so far away from getting my notes back. After almost 4 days now without my notes and no closer to ever getting them back that I can see... I'm wondering what my other options are... 3-ring binder looks pretty good right now...

Fortunately, I never did try to write anything in the notes, but I did wait for several minutes... nothing came through.... I believe nothing is there, just the note heading.

I tried clicking on my notebooks, mine or what must have been the temporary, but still, note has no content...

I'm ready to throw in the towel on this...

Don't know what to do, It was just deleted and now I'm having a hard time thinking why I would ever trust Evernote again... It was such a great program for these past 3-4 years and now this... I just don't understand, but I do know computers and I do know that backups are the key to survival for any app on any computer.

I must re-think my strategy....

I can see content in the note on my computer as the restored from history note is there and has the content... but does not show up on my devices, all wifi connected, clicked on import word when I came across it and still nothing after the last 3 days of messing with this... I leave the devices with the note open, not writing on it or anything, just waiting... nothing has come through.

• Level 5*
16 minutes ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I can see content in the note on my computer as the restored from history note is there and has the content... but does not show up on my devices

Maybe we can see something if you post screenshots of your note similar to the one I posted

the screenshot I posted above shows the note (I've blurred because of confidential information) and it was in a temporary import notebook (if that's the right word) and I somehow moved it to the notebook which has my name which is the only notebook I use. Either way I can read the content of the note in both notebook places but nothing shows up in my devices other than the name of the note and containing the prompt: start writing... 

So, the note is now in my default main notebook but is still empty on my devices.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

So, the note is now in my default main notebook but is still empty on my devices.

The note image you posted had content but the wrong notebook
Can you go back to that note; make sure the notebook is valid, and change the title to "My fixed note"
This way, you can differentiate the note from all the duplicates and check if its beeing synced
First, check the web (www.evernote.com), then check your devices

Okay, That is a good test, but yields the same result really: I changed the name of the note on my computer version of Evernote, where it can be seen and is fixed... and, with the new name, it does not show up on my devices... So, and this is funny, because I could see multiple copies of the note I created on the computer version, but none had any content... ALSO, just in passing, I notice that the small preview of the note has the content showing for just the first few lines, like it should, on all devices, but inside the note there is no text... just the 'start writing' prompt.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Ken Nielsen said:

with the new name, it does not show up on my devices

Does the renamed note get synced to the web platform (www.evernote.com)

i seem to be having the same problem. some of my notes show up fine on my macbook and on evernote.com, but on my iphone 5, despite looking good in the note preview, when i go into the note all i see is the note title and the words 'start writing'. the problem has persisted for at least a full day. what's going on?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ken Nielsen said:

Yes it does, It took a while, I did not time so might have only taken minutes, but not instant... Yes, It is there.

Good.  That is the master version of your data

Its not critical if some of your devices are failing

btw  If you have paid status, you might want to open a support ticket

Contact Evernote Support Twitter @evernotehelps

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, wmharv said:

i seem to be having the same problem. some of my notes show up fine on my macbook and on evernote.com, but on my iphone 5, despite looking good in the note preview, when i go into the note all i see is the note title and the words 'start writing'. the problem has persisted for at least a full day. what's going on?

There's a new IOS version being implemented (version 8)

They're clearing up some issues with it

It will get sorted out in the long run - it would be a good idea to sit it out

I've now tried the 'Revers Whammy' approach: I created a new note on my external device away from my computer, and, beautifully that new note shows up on my computer at the evernote dot com site. At least this shows that the internet is working and traffic is flowing one way at least. Next, I should create a new note on the computer and see if that transfers over to my devices... be right back... hold my beer...

Whoops... spoke too soon, I went back to my computer and the new note created on the external device has now disappeared from the computer, BUT, the new note remains on my external device... There is something fishy going on...

Glad I tried this as a test because now I know I actually saw the note transferred, almost instantly, from my external device to the computer. This deserves to be looked into by the higher-ups at Evernote. 

I am on California time so we shall see... I'm wondering if there are other note-taking apps out there that I should be considering, I got into Evernote because the Apple Note app was so unreliable... It's like... Here we go again...

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I'm wondering if there are other note-taking apps out there that I should be considering

If you're looking strictly for a note taking app, there are many alternatives out there.

They lack the featureset of Evernote, but not everyone needs the filing/syncing/backup options

>>Apple Note app was so unreliable

Not sure what your issue was. I wasn't aware of reliability issues

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

There's a new IOS version being implemented (version 8)

They're clearing up some issues with it

It will get sorted out in the long run - it would be a good idea to sit it out

i have evernote premium. evernote on my iPhone 5 was last updated to version 8.0.3 on january 27, 2017. my sense is that my issue, as previously reported in this thread, started with the update. DTLow, did you mean that the issue started with evernote 8.0 and the company is clearing up my issue (among others) and will eventually release an update with a fix? 

i don't use a lot of the evernote functionality. i mostly keep lists which i can conveniently update on either my iPhone 5 or my MacBook. as a result of this issue there are some notes which i can't update on my iPhone because i no longer see the note there, just the preview of it. i don't know why some notes and not others. is this a known bug? if so, is anyone trying to repair the program?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, wmharv said:

did you mean that the issue started with evernote 8.0 and the company is clearing up my issue (among others) and will eventually release an update with a fix?

There are quite a few issues and Evernote is releasing hot fix patches.  We're currently at 8.0.3, and I'm expecting more patches

>>Apple Note app was so unreliable

At the time, I was not able to back up the notes, so would lose notes with no backup for no apparent reason other than changing phones.

All I want is reliability, Evernote was perfect until now this, and they still have not contacted me for almost the full second day of waiting...

I wouldn't even care about service if the app was not causing problems...

wmharv - "i don't use a lot of the evernote functionality. i mostly keep lists which i can conveniently update on either my iPhone 5 or my MacBook. as a result of this issue there are some notes which i can't update on my iPhone because i no longer see the note there, just the preview of it. i don't know why some notes and not others. is this a known bug? if so, is anyone trying to repair the program?"

Sounds like my same problem. I have all fairly new devices and computer, but there is a problem with Evernote... Several days of hacking away at it, with the great help of DTLow, have proven to me, this problem is beyond local to me...

I don't want fancy features, I want fancy reliability... data that does not disappear unannounced...

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I was not able to back up the notes, so would lose notes with no backup

Backups are extremely important to me.  Regardless of what happens in Evernote, corrupted data or even if the service goes dark; I have continued access to my notes.

Thats one of my reasons for using Evernote.  Redundancy in platform access and data export being two key points

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Backups are extremely important to me. ... Redundancy in platform access and data export being two key points

Lots to be said for making backups primary importance. I wish Evernote had more options built in: Print notes individually, print all notes for hard copy archive... I realize notes are always changing and being modified but to capture any given time in hard copy may be a life saver down the road. As it is, the export feature seems to be fine, but like you said, there is some way to export PDF or text format so that it can be read in any reader or text program would be great too. I'm not sure yet how to get a PDF or text copy of my notes other than to do screen shots.

I think I will try emailing my notes to myself so I can copy and paste the content to my notes on my devices, would that be advised? or would that be a conflict if Evernote ever decides to 'kick in' again?

• Level 5*
46 minutes ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I'm not sure yet how to get a PDF or text copy of my notes other than to do screen shots.

PDF operations are extremely easy on a Mac for individual notes

Im sticking with HTML exports.  They're more flexible and closer to the native format I'm using in Evernote.

>>I realize notes are always changing and being modified but to capture any given time

I just keep mutiple backup copies.  Sometimes it's wasted space, but it means I can retrieve previous version of notes

>>to capture any given time in hard copy may be a life saver down the road.

I'm happy with my digital backups; I don't want hard copy 

On 1/28/2017 at 0:29 AM, Ken Nielsen said:

I've successfully restored a lost topic from Evernote history on my computer but the topic does not show up as restored on my iPad or other devices. How do I make this restored topic available so it will show across my devices?

This is now SOLVED! - Evernote support came up with the idea to trash the Evernote on my iPhone, the only device that was not updating properly, and to re-download Evernote to my iPhone - THAT DID IT and all is well... all devices in sync now... Thanks to all here, DTLow in particular, for very good help and education in what to do for backups, the key to every woe being fixed... I'm a happy Evernote user again... Peace

Archived