Entire section of notes disappeared!

Ken Nielsen

This is an emergency, I had notes collected over the past three years in one topic and now it has disappeared, the topic is there but there is nothing in the body of text that I have worked for years on. I need help desperately as this is business information that I need today and it is gone...

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Ken Nielsen said:

This is an emergency, I had notes collected over the past three years in one topic and now it has disappeared

Notes don't just disappear

If deleted, they are moved to the Trash folder and can be restored

In case it's just a device problem, you might check the master version of your notes at www.evernote.com

When you say "the topic is there", do you mean a Notebook?

Finally, you might do a search for some known content.  The notes may have just been misplaced.

btw   Which platforms do you use? 

I'm all Apple, iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro Retina. I'll go to the trash folder, I didn't make any moves to anything, all of my other content is there, I guess what I mean, without knowing the proper vernacular, is that a subject was started, not a notebook or folder, I just have one folder and various topics inside, what I mean is that the topic heading is there but no content. I will start as you recommend, look in the trash....

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I just have one folder and various topics inside, what I mean is that the topic heading is there but no content.

Evernote doesn't have folders: just Stacks, Notebooks, Notes and Tags

Are we talking about a Note, with the topic heading but the rest of the content missing?

I'm not nit picking (disgusting reference); just trying to nail down what's missing so we can get it back

If it's the contents of a note, my process would be to retrieve it from backups.

If no personal backups, Evernote has a Note History feature where they've backed up versions of your notes several times a day.  It's a paid feature, but you can subscribe for a single month

I guess I need to know then, The notes are not in the trash as the note topic heading is still there in my notes, but no content below.

How do I get to the history backup? I thought since everything was on the cloud and referenced across devices that it was safe. Doesn't Evernote backup their customer files?

Okay Dear DTLow, You know what is going on, I'm just a lowly simple user and think this may have just been a 'ploy' to get me to sign up for a premium membership, which I did now so I could get my notes back. Backups are the key to life in the computer world. So now I have backups but i know there used to be another ways to save a backup to your computer, but this way, it is live. If the world blows up we are still going to lose our backups, so nothing is secure at any price. I feel duped, but at least I am saved thanks to your perfect knowledge of how Evernote works. 

Now, a question, if I ever lose everything again and even the premium membership does not work... (end of world scenario) Is there a convenient way that I can back up all of my Evernote content to my computer, so at least I would have a 'hard copy' outside of evernote that I could access? That would be appreciated to know.... I feel I am still responsible for making backups that I can trust.

Thank You,

Ken

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, Ken Nielsen said:

Is there a convenient way that I can back up all of my Evernote content to my computer, so at least I would have a 'hard copy' outside of evernote that I could access?

I trust Evernote with my data....and I back up my data

Just in using Evernote, we've implemented levels of backup

• My notes are synced to the Evernote Servers, My Mac, My iPad
    I'm confident Evernote has backup procedures in place to protect the data on their servers
  • I have access to Evernote's Note History

I also implemented my personal backups,

• The foundation of this is the Evernote export feature in html format to a cloud drive
    Its a simple Evernote process, just select the notes and File > Export Notes
  • This gives me access to my notes completely independent of Evernote
  • I've automated the process with Mac AppleScript and scheduled daily with Mac LaunchAgents
    This is documented at https://www.evernote.com/l/AApZRcHcdB1LxrHPvsvpz-OG-sSx6loyBwc

>>this may have just been a 'ploy' to get me to sign up for a premium membership, which I did now so I could get my notes back.

I don't feel that way
When my note contents get messed up (infrequently), I don't spend time trying to figure if it's the gremlins in my computer, or at Evernote (it couldn't possibly be me)
I simply go the backups and restore the data
I accept that:   you-know-what happens
The important thing is that Im covered so the impact is minimal

So, I can backup Evernote to my computer? That would be best as I can apply those backups to my entrenched Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather drives in my location and in bank vaults for safekeeping.
I gather I can just export note... which will export all of my notes? or just the one that is highlighted? - It says 'note' singular, so I don't know if it backs up all of my notes.

Is there a way to export notes to PDF so I can print them out for an added level of security?

I chose Evernote because the default 'notes' application on my iPhone was not able to be backed up. Evernote is a better idea, but this has been a serious road bump in the note-taking business for me. I will try to adopt your careful handling of notes, I place a lot, maybe too much, store in the note-taking app, it does important work for me.

Thanks for your help DTLow by the way, I was able to get my notes back, it cost $70 to do that, which I would have rather handed to you, but this is the way it is for now. I'm very glad to have my important notes now, and an education where I will proceed with making backups also to my hard drive on a regular basis now... just to be sure. plus, print-outs of screen shots the only way I know unless Evernote has a print function I'm not aware...

Thank You,

Ken

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

I gather I can just export note... which will export all of my notes? or just the one that is highlighted? - It says 'note' singular, so I don't know if it backs up all of my notes.

Only selected notes are exported
A single note, or you can do a "select all"

>>Is there a way to export notes to PDF so I can print them out for an added level of security?

There are only two export options, html and xml

There are third party apps that do pdf conversion, or you can just manually do the conversion on your Mac
- Evernote has a "Convert to pdf" option on the Mac
I actually convert most of my notes to pdf format if the data is static

>>What is the routine for making a retrievable backup to my computer? Then I would be covered for backups. 

The enex (xml) ecport option can be used as turn-around import to Evernote
This has some serious limitations, and is not something I make use of
I'm comfortable with my html backup

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Ken Nielsen said:

it cost $70 to do that

Now that you're a premium member, you have advanced support :)

You could open a support ticket asking for a refund
- you made a mistake in the full year subscription; you only meant to do a single month

Whew, I'm thankful for your help Guru, Every move I make is a mistake with Evernote over the past few days. I've had no trouble with Evernote for years now, so never learned anything about it other than to use it to take and save my notes. Notes are such a valuable thing... Now I have reason to learn more. I've lost quite a bit of time also, did not complete work yesterday because of losing my notes.  Very serious business here so I will adopt a more rational approach from what I am learning here from you, the experts. I appreciate your help.

On 1/27/2017 at 4:29 PM, Ken Nielsen said:

This is an emergency, I had notes collected over the past three years in one topic and now it has disappeared, the topic is there but there is nothing in the body of text that I have worked for years on. I need help desperately as this is business information that I need today and it is gone...

Same here. I'm missing 80 percent of my notebooks.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, mrgwordgirl said:

Same here. I'm missing 80 percent of my notebooks.

Notes don't usually go "missing"
Any chance you've accidently used multiple accounts; it's easy to do

To eliminate any device issues; I would check for my notes on the web platform at www.evernote.com

It's the second week now, Ticket opened with Evernote support and no response yet. I've tried sending an email to myself so I could copy the text of the note on my iPhone and place it in a new note or try to paste it into the note that exists that has no text in it using the 'start writing' prompt... but alas, no luck as the text copied to the clipboard on the iPhone will not transfer over and paste into Evernote... any reason why this would not work? or, Is it possible that the clipboard on the iPhone only works 'within' one app and is not carried over so text can be pasted into another app?

A Hair-Raising Experience!

Archived