Using multiple notes at the same time

todd1611

I'm preparing my taxes and I'd like to enter all my utility bills onto another note. So I narrow down all my monthly invoices for the year, get the invoice amount for January, and then search for the note I just created on which to enter it (and subsequent invoices). I enter the amount and then I have to search again my monthly invoices, and the cycle repeats over and over. Is there a more efficient way for to do this? Thanks! 

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, todd1611 said:

I'm preparing my taxes and I'd like to enter all my utility bills onto another note. So I narrow down all my monthly invoices for the year, get the invoice amount for January, and then search for the note I just created on which to enter it (and subsequent invoices). I enter the amount and then I have to search again my monthly invoices, and the cycle repeats over and over. Is there a more efficient way for to do this? Thanks! 

Depends on the platform

On my Mac (2 monitors) I open notes in their own window so they're always available

My iPad/Pro has split screen mode, allowing for two windows

• Level 5*

I use the same system as @DTLow when collating information from several notes - open all the reference notes in their own window,  process and close each one in turn.  Helps to keep check on what's been dealt with and what not.  Alternatively create a new temporary notebook and add your file to that - now you have a list of notes,  and can choose them one at a time.  Tag notes (again temporarily) to show 'checked' or some such if necessary.

• Level 5*

Create the summary note and open it in it's own window.  Have that window and your EN main window both visible if you can.  Do your search and then process the list of notes.  Unless you want all those windows open.  

1 hour ago, todd1611 said:

If I understand you correctly, here's what I would do. First open the "utility bill summary" note in it's own window and position it so that you can move easily back and forth between it and your main window. Reestablish your sorted list of the "2016 monthly utility invoice" notes in the main window. Now go back and forth between the monthly utility bill notes in the main window and the summary note in the other window to enter your data. Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

Depends on the platform

On my Mac (2 monitors) I open notes in their own window so they're always available

My iPad/Pro has split screen mode, allowing for two windows

I do the same, when I'm using Evernote and when I need to reference multiple notes for several different types of information.

@todd1611

If you're on a mobile device (running Android) what you can do is run multi-window. Use the official Evernote app in one corner of the screen and then the web version on the second corner of your screen. When I needed to this this when my computer was broken, that is how I did my work. Multiwindow.

What you can also do is create a tag or saved search to quickly navigate between two more sets of notes.

For example. Use custom tags specifically for that purpose.

I'll give an example of what I do.

I sometimes write code via Evernote. Each month, I practice something new, but I will often have to refer to the tutorials I created for myself. I tag them with 

Programming-C-2016Dec2

My new Note/code will be tagged with

Programming-Java-2017Jan3

That way, I quickly have access to those tags which link to one specific document.

Or you could just go on your tablet/laptop and open each note in their own window which many people here do.

• 11 months later...

Is it possible to keep two notes open at the same time in Evernote for iPad? I use this functionality on the Evernote windows desktop platform and it works great.  On windows i can compare two open notes and even drag files inbetween.  Would love to figure out a way to do this in ipad.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, idoc said:

Is it possible to keep two notes open at the same time in Evernote for iPad?

Opening two notes is not supported with Evernote's iPad app

On my iPad Pro, I can have two windows open; Evernote/iPad  on one side Evernote/web on the other side

I was not aware that there was any such difference between the ipad pro and the ipad.  I just purchased my ipad and am now wondering if i should have gotten the ipad pro. It was only slightly more costly but i thought that the stylus was the main difference and that was of no interest to me. 

I find working with multiple notes a little cumbersome at this time on  the Windows platform. Mac app has the option to start a new tab which does help.

In your case, I would open the note where you type in the amounts per month as a new window, and hopefully you have a multi-monitor setup where you can have the Evernote app on the other screen. This way you can locate the monthly bills in the Evernote app screen, then type it in the separate window note.

The "new tab" option that is available in Mac OS X app would be nice for Windows app too. I also wish there was a nice way of working with multiple notes or the back button on your mouse worked like a browser instead of hitting the back arrow to go back a note.

Happy Friday!

1 hour ago, TK0047 said:

I find working with multiple notes a little cumbersome at this time on  the Windows platform. Mac app has the option to start a new tab which does help.

In your case, I would open the note where you type in the amounts per month as a new window, and hopefully you have a multi-monitor setup where you can have the Evernote app on the other screen. This way you can locate the monthly bills in the Evernote app screen, then type it in the separate window note.

The "new tab" option that is available in Mac OS X app would be nice for Windows app too. I also wish there was a nice way of working with multiple notes or the back button on your mouse worked like a browser instead of hitting the back arrow to go back a note.

Happy Friday!

Actually, this is exactly the way I (and all my employees) work.  We have two screens and use EN notes on both screens.  We will open one note which has multiple files within it and distribute those files to other notes in EN which are on the other screen.  Very quick and efficient workflow with no hiccups at all.  It's only on the ipad and android versions where we have trouble.  We are effectively unable to work on the go without laptops.

On 1/12/2018 at 12:29 PM, idoc said:

Actually, this is exactly the way I (and all my employees) work.  We have two screens and use EN notes on both screens.  We will open one note which has multiple files within it and distribute those files to other notes in EN which are on the other screen.  Very quick and efficient workflow with no hiccups at all.  It's only on the ipad and android versions where we have trouble.  We are effectively unable to work on the go without laptops.

Oh, misunderstood the original problem evidently.

Honestly, I use the iOS apps just to look up information on the go, I try not to use the phone or the iPad to "work". If I have to get something done while I am not in the office, I will generally pull my laptop (even in the truck) and use the desktop Evernote app. I know that will be way faster and less frustrating.

Archived