Evernote v8.0.3 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued feedback. We released v8.0.3 a short time ago to address several top issues including the crash on launch issue that many users were facing after updating from v7.x.

After v8.0.2 was released, we realized that the app was crashing before the crash data was getting to us - so while we fixed our top known crasher, we unfortunately hadn't fixed the crash on launch that was affecting many users in the Evernote Community. After getting some crash logs directly off of devices from some affected users, we have fixed an issue with upgrading from v7 to v8 that affected many users that would not happen for those who deleted and reinstalled the app. 

What's fixed in 8.0.3:

• Fix for crash on launch affecting many users
  • Note list sort by Title is now using the correct sort order
  • Notebooks in Stacks (in Shortcuts list) are now using the correct sort order
  • Tapping on a Stack in Shortcuts now opens a note list with all the notes in the Stack
  • Regular View: Tapping any note in the note list of search results no longer jumps to the first note
  • Searching from the Notes tab highlights search results in note editor
  • Searching from the Notes tab by tag no longer shows notes in the Trash
  • Duplicating notes with ink images allows modifications to the duplicated ink image
  • Updates to Reminders no longer change updated date
  • Imported file from document picker should be placed at the cursor
  • Offline notebooks progress bar is shown in recent notebooks section
  • Offline search banner disappears when connection re-established
  • Highlighted text is now synced properly
  • 'Add Notes' field of Biz Card note no longer goes away after deleting its content
  • Many other bug and crash fixes

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, hernanballesteros said:

Not even deeply drunk would update Evernote ... 

I'd hold off upgrading to version 8.0 until things are stable

For those already upgraded, I'd recomend implementing this hotfix release; but only if you're sober :)

I had V8 dot whatever running ok. Just updated to 8.0.3 after updating iOS to 10.2.1 and I have the crash on launch issue. This is hopeless. It looks like quality assurance has yet again been delegated without consent to the user community. 

9 minutes ago, Bikernz said:

I had V8 dot whatever running ok. Just updated to 8.0.3 after updating iOS to 10.2.1 and I have the crash on launch issue. This is hopeless. It looks like quality assurance has yet again been delegated without consent to the user community. 

First off, I would delete the EN app. Restart your phone/pad. Reinstall EN app. Cross your fingers.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd hold off upgrading to version 8.0 until things are stable

For those already upgraded, I'd recomend implementing this hotfix release; but only if you're sober

Really... I do not know what the REAL benefits of these "updates" are. I mean from 8.0 update. The "speed" is not as they say ... In fact, there are multiple complaints about Evernote behaving slower. The so-called "simplicity" and "quickness" to create a note, is not what they say: In Version 7.18.1, in iOS, I can create a note (audio, reminder, etc.) EVEN without entering the application (iPhone, 3D Touch); entering the application, I can also create WITH A SINGLE CLICK any type of notes. They have suppressed the Presentation option, making it HARDERLY MORE DIFFICULT to read on an iPhone without that option (when it becomes necessary to use that option); deleted the Home Screen and now, at least to me, it was difficult (with the 8.0 and following updates) to find my notes. With Home Screen, I can see ALL OPTIONS and I can decide which one to enter (Shortcuts, Notes, Notebook, Tags, etc.). Also Search (in V. 7.18.1) works PERFECTLY. Words are highlighted without problems when searching and also WITHIN the note (before the 8.0 update). In the old version (which is the one I use, since I could upgrade), I never had (nor do I have now) synchronization problems; I do not have problems regarding "disappear" notes. Finally, the so-called "simplicity", I insist, is not as they say: when I open Evernote, I have a quick overview of all my notes and all the options (as I already said). I think I would upgrade to a new version if Evernote gave me the option to have those features (Home Screen, Presentation, etc.) AGAIN, so that I can CHOOSE how I want to configure Evernote: in the "old" or in the "modern" way.

Despite all my complaints, I will continue with my Evernote subscription because I LOVE Evernote, but IN THE "OLD" version 7.18.1.

Thank you for letting me have a free opinion in this space and for not censoring my criticisms.

Shame on you. What is fixed with this update? It is impossible to scroll notes. Hangs for 30 second before you can swipe still notes. I'm sick of so much incompetence! Again shame on you. 

It is clear that you no tested the app before releasing it. You're only cheating with your adverts on how streamlined and fast is the app with this update. I feel stupid for giving you all my trust. 
You know just say delete and reinstall the app. But now many users know that you're lying. Again, the app is unusable with last update 8.0.3

Sorry cifip, but I'm tired of all this "updates" ...I'm working with EN, and because of evernote state, I lose money

EN asks on ipad and iphone everytime to sign into iTunes. Very annoying. I am about to try out the rest of fixes !  I agree with others, aside from the problems, its a lot slower, sticky slow!  I am an EN supporter. But i do keep looking at the alternatives at the moment. Am loathe to do so as i have a few evernote scanners that the business uses. I would request thet you get these deep down speed problems sorted. Also i do miss the presentation mode, and i dont like the separation of personal and business accounts for search purposes. Frustrated! 

44 minutes ago, Lesicaire said:

Just upgraded to 8.0.3

EN still asking me to enter my iTunes password. I'm on iPhone7Plus.

Same problem for my wife on iPhone6sPlus.

Same problem here - on iPad mini and iPhone6S (both latest version of the app and iOS)

In the old iOS version and also in the new version are for a long long time the Czech letters not fixed in the notes titles and list items titles. And still no fix for that so far. Just embed also a "Latin Extended" for the font you use for note titles titles (as you do for the body font). Looks really ugly in local environment. I've submitted a ticktet (ticket# 830283) in the past, bud still nothing is happening :(  See the screenshot.

Vratislav

ipad-cz-letters.png

3 hours ago, jim.g said:

First off, I would delete the EN app. Restart your phone/pad. Reinstall EN app. Cross your fingers.

Not keen on this idea. I have a large volume of offline notes and a slow rural 4G broadband connection with a data cap. What I need is for EN to stop busting things that aren't already broken. What started as an aspirational dream to create a 100-year company seems to be degenerating into the flash then crash model that we see all too often in the technology sector. Sad really, it had so much promise. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bikernz said:

Not keen on this idea. I have a large volume of offline notes and a slow rural 4G broadband connection with a data cap.

I'd back off from offline data for now.  Concentrate on getting the app stable and when that's resolved, download your notes

Just out of interest, how much data?  I'm wondering if there's a breaking point

2 hours ago, Bikernz said:

Not keen on this idea. I have a large volume of offline notes and a slow rural 4G broadband connection with a data cap. What I need is for EN to stop busting things that aren't already broken. What started as an aspirational dream to create a 100-year company seems to be degenerating into the flash then crash model that we see all too often in the technology sector. Sad really, it had so much promise. 

I agree with Bikernz. Reinstalling from scratch is not a reasonable option. First it burns any un-synced data on the device. Second it forces a reload of all that data that has been cached on the device. For metered internet users (like B and me) squandering our limited data to compensate for a clumsy update is unacceptable. For EN to suggest is inconsiderate and cavalier. Finally, if you have more than one device struggling with post-update crashes, forced downloading (times N devices) multiplies the negative impact of the upgrade (apologies to the word "upgrade").

• Level 5*
41 minutes ago, iamhondo said:

I agree with Bikernz. Reinstalling from scratch is not a reasonable option.

I don't understand your point.  
I understand why he's not keen on testing this hotfix, and why he would wait it out until version 8 is stable.

However, if he wants to get in there and test the latest release, I don't see another option.   No one is saying this is reasonable, just the only method
Do you see other options?

I have advised dropping the offline data which will eliminate the cost/time of the download

Sad 8.0 update. Sad note editor bugs on iOS/Windows/Mac apps. Not renewing my EN subscription after this month. I will spend A LOT of time to move my work to the Microsoft's note editor. More reliable and its free.

</3

OK, so like an idiot, I just updated to v8.0.3 on iPad, and now the app crashes so consistently that it can't be opened at all. I'm really trying to keep loving EN, but you guys are making it hard. Fix please?

UPDATE: I managed to solve this problem (which occured on both iPad and iPhone) by uninstalling EN and reinstalling. I'm not quite so aggro now. :-)

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, dbcerogert said:

Once you set a reminder, you will not be able to go directly to the date setting option.

Confirmed - Its a two step process

Step 1: To create Reminder notes, there are three options

1. New Note: Long press on the new note icon and select Reminder
  2. Existing Note: Click on the ... then Set a Reminder
  3. Widget (currently broken)

Step 2: To set a date, Click on the reminder icon, then click on Set a Date

When things settle down with version 8,
if its still this way you could create a feature request to make it a one step process
You'd get my vote

Come on, EN, this cannot be serious - 8.0.2 worked, I tried to update to 0.3 on one of my Ipads, and - surprise!!! - it is crashing at startup again.

Please refrain from rolling out what is not rolling, or worse, stopping a rolling system (8.0.2).

Pity.

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

I understand why he's not keen on testing this hotfix, and why he would wait it out until version 8 is stable.

However, if he wants to get in there and test the latest release, I don't see another option.   No one is saying this is reasonable, just the only method

Well, unlike DTLow, I understand the point of not being enthusiastic about re-installing.  It doesn't feel right that users have to perform a hotfix on a formerly working app and to name this "the only method" (basically wasting the time of x-thousand users times (say) 15 minutes until all preferences are set again).

20 minutes ago, Crowbar said:

Well, unlike DTLow, I understand the point of not being enthusiastic about re-installing.  It doesn't feel right that users have to perform a hotfix on a formerly working app and to name this "the only method" (basically wasting the time of x-thousand users times (say) 15 minutes until all preferences are set again).

I know that DTLow understands completely why there is no enthusiasm for a reinstallation, and I don't see anything in his comments that implies otherwise. But once one decides to install the latest update, and problems still exist, then one is faced with the possibility of needing to perform a reinstall in hopes that it might fix the problem. As DTLow said "no one is saying this is reasonable" but it may if fact be "the only method". Look, we're all fed up with this whole mess. It's caused untold man hours to be wasted and blood pressures to shoot through the roof. Unfortunately, the way I see it, once we updated to 8.0 we got stuck on the EN roller coaster, and we're not going to be able to get off until EN figures out how to stop the ride.

I have 2 Notebooks. One for Offline access and one with everything else. All is Organised by Tags.I feel Tags are a bit slow to navigate in the new version

What I'm missing are the saved Searches,  i saved searches with multiple tags i regularly use. 

Sort by tag should be possible, and a possibility to inverse the sort order

Reminders on the other hand work much better in the new version, I love the Badge on the Icon

On 1/27/2017 at 6:37, jim.g dijo:

I know that DTLow understands completely why there is no enthusiasm for a reinstallation, and I don't see anything in his comments that implies otherwise. But once one decides to install the latest update, and problems still exist, then one is faced with the possibility of needing to perform a reinstall in hopes that it might fix the problem. As DTLow said "no one is saying this is reasonable" but it may if fact be "the only method". Look, we're all fed up with this whole mess. It's caused untold man hours to be wasted and blood pressures to shoot through the roof. Unfortunately, the way I see it, once we updated to 8.0 we got stuck on the EN roller coaster, and we're not going to be able to get off until EN figures out how to stop the ride.

I think there is an alternative. I think you should consider downgrading to an earlier version than 8.0. Unless you strongly prefer the changes made since version 8.0, user jacobberger posted a 4-minute video, in which he indicates how to upgrade to a version prior to version 8.0. The other option, I think is to expand the complaints not only to the Evernote Twitter accounts (all of them) but, as I was doing, to the accounts of those who have decision-making power in Evernote. For example, Nathan Fortin @nfortin That option I tend to think can lead to at least they stop publishing the "wonderful" that is the new Evernote and that they (and others) CLEARLY know the multitude of problems with updates. Here I leave the post where jacobberger puts his video: https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/103411-somebody-please-post-evernote-7181-ipa-file/

47 minutes ago, gilbycoyote said:

What I'm missing are the saved Searches,  i saved searches with multiple tags i regularly use. 

When you press the magnifying glass icon at the bottom of the screen you should see your saved searchs.

11 minutes ago, gilbycoyote said:

Strange, I can only see recent searches...

I think I had that same situation when I first installed 8.0, and I believe an app delete/reinstall fixed it. I'm assuming since you posted in this forum that you're on 8.0.3. If you aren't having any of the issues that have been described elsewhere in these forums, then you may not want to do a delete/reinstall. I can think of two things to try to maybe force the saved searches to show. First, save a new search on your idevice and see if your old saved searches appear. If not, from the web or a desktop/laptop version, save a new search. Make sure you've done a manual sync on all devices. If they still don't show, restart your device.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Crowbar said:

It doesn't feel right that users have to perform a hotfix on a formerly working app

We all wish there were no issues with the release
However, we have to deal with the reality, and this is the solution for continuing with version 8

If wishes were horses....

>>Well, unlike DTLow, I understand the point of not being enthusiastic about re-installing.

Did you miss the part where I said I understand.  I'm not entusiastic either - I just see no alternative

17 hours ago, Shawn Callahan said:

8.0.3 crashes on startup on both iPhone and iPad. I'm on the latest iOS and iPhone 7 and latest iPad. This should not be happening. 

Same here, I'm not able to run this version!

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, hernanballesteros said:

I think there is an alternative. I think you should consider upgrading to an earlier version than 8.0.

You're right, I missed downgrading as an alternative to the reinstalling

There are several processes described in the posts.
They require the use of a desktop computer and iTunes

And of course you can hold off completely from version 8 until it becomes more stable.
Unfortunately, once you've upgraded to 8, your options are limited

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Curado Kev said:

2) I can't stand the "red indicators" but the new Evernote has 1 indicator "red circle" - been trying to get rid of it for 5 days - HOW !!! ??

I went into reminder view (All Notes > Reminders) and closed all my open reminders

The other option is to turn off the badge notification in settings

10 小時前, DTLow說:

Confirmed - Its a two step process

Step 1: To create Reminder notes, there are three options

1. New Note: Long press on the new note icon and select Reminder
  2. Existing Note: Click on the ... then Set a Reminder
  3. Widget (currently broken)

Step 2: To set a date, Click on the reminder icon, then click on Set a Date

When things settle down with version 8,
if its still this way you could create a feature request to make it a one step process
You'd get my vote

If you set the reminder there is one more step, not to increase distress, can be set directly before

Severe bug in synchronization. Notes edited on iOS client. Windows client is idle, not being used to modify the note in any way. The original notes contain a number of ink/handwriting images, no text other than some white space to separate the ink.

The synchronization code is making the following errors:

1. Duplicating ink images. Often the duplicate is an earlier version of the ink image.
  2. Re-inserting ink images that were deleted from the note.
  3. Losing ink image edits. This is the most severe issue as it is non-recoverable. The edits are just gone.

In additition, duplicating the note makes the following error:

1. Incorrectly converting the ink images to ordinary images (after which it become impossible to continue editing them on the iOS client).
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

We all wish there were no issues with the release
However, we have to deal with the reality, and this is the solution for continuing with version 8

If wishes were horses....

>>Well, unlike DTLow, I understand the point of not being enthusiastic about re-installing.

Did you miss the part where I said I understand.  I'm not entusiastic either - I just see no alternative

Downgrading... My fault...

"Brilliant". Until 8.0.3 I was at least able to run it on the iPhone (while the iPad was constantly crashing on startup). Now with 8.0.3 even that is gone. Shame on you, Evernote! This is a disaster.

22 hours ago, Shawn Callahan said:

8.0.3 crashes on startup on both iPhone and iPad. I'm on the latest iOS and iPhone 7 and latest iPad. This should not be happening. 

Same issue. Embarrassed at a meeting when was unable to access any meeting materials via iPad Pro 9.7" or iPhone 7+ both on latest iOS after updating this morning to 8.03. Just told my IT director to nix looking at EN for enterprise.

Restarted both devices. Issues remain. Uninstall and reinstall is a next step but really, anyone who has a job and depends on your product cannot make that the standard.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, alanfurst said:

Can I get an older version until 8 is fixed? 

There are a few posts in the forums with suggestions for downgrading

Sitting out is a good idea.

19 hours ago, DTLow said:

I have advised dropping the offline data which will eliminate the cost/time of the download

I said "reasonable option" but "reasonable blanket prescription" would have been better wording. Many civilian and EN folks have said, "just reinstall from scratch" without pointing out the loss of un-synced data and without pointing out the need for re-downloading data. Not all users are savvy enough to recognize when a workaround option will cause data loss or waste valuable data usage.

FWIW, I was one of the "crash-on-start" victims of 8.0.0, 8.0.1, and 8.0.2. Finally, 8.0.3 (mostly) worked on my iPad. It gave a popup about EN crashing. But after I send the error report it behaved ok. 8.0.3 even (mostly) worked on my de-phoned iPhone 4S. It had been failing with all previous 8.0.x releases on the 4S.

So I've graduated to the "not completely failing every launch" group to the "launching but failing but mostly working" group.

But I'm really getting tired of the whole repeated Apple login bit. I haven't seen an explanation of why EN is demanding that. The stumbling launch bit isn't very enjoyable, either.

Is there any light at the end of this tunnel? So far, I've just seen difference shades of black.

hace 6 horas, PC00 dijo:

Just adding my voice to the frustrated masses of people here doing likewise. I don't know what has happened at Evernote HQ but the company has really lost its way. Premium member for 4 years but about to say f**k it and move everything to one of your competitors. 

Endless crashes, App store login request pop-ups, blank ios notes (that are fine on mac and the note is there in ios because it shows up in the preview but when you click into the note itself... blank), awful awful awful UI/UX (seriously, fire your entire graphic design team immediately and start from scratch).

Endless frustration.

Don't get me started on the 8.0 redesign. Whoever signed off on that is a complete moron. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it's true.

Awful use of space, icon positioning, the entire UI is just atrocious. Just objectively bad design choices and lack of attention to detail.

Ultimately it's the CEO who is signing off on this stuff so they should get the blame but I've no doubt there's some lower level managers and engineers who are clueless too. It's astonishing to say, but both the ios and mac apps from 4 years ago were superior in every way.

Here's a tip for the current management: every new product idea you have plans for? Scrap it. At least shelve it indefinitely. Every single one. You need to get back to basics. Your flagship product, a simple note taking app, is a shambles. You're lucky you have a product where moving to another platform is such a pain in the ass to do because I guarantee you a lot  more people would jump ship if it were easier to do so. 

????????????

I am joining the party as EN user since 2009.
I seem to have caught every possible 8.0.x-bug possible...

After installing 8.0.x the app crashed. Installed anew.
EN slower than before (both on iPhone 7 Plus and iPad 2).
Asking for iTunes Store login each time.
Stupid red 1 on appsymbol.
The new layout feels counterintuitive, but that may be because I am to old fashioned.

I just react here because you have pushed out three updates that are quite buggy.
Have you not tested before releasing?

On 1/26/2017 at 9:49 PM, Crowbar said:

For me the app was working ok under 8.0.2.  Now it is crashing on start.

Furthermore, I don't have all my saved searches available in the app.

And once a day it asks me for my Apple Password.

Overall not happy.

My problem and sentiments exactly.  The only question I have as a paying customer is WHEN is this problem going to be fixed so I can access my data?  If you can't fix it, cancel version 8 and roll us back to version 7.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, iKyrre said:

Stupid red 1 on appsymbol

One problem easily fixed

You are seeing a count badge of all the outstanding reminders.

Clear the reminders, or turn the feature off in Settings > Notifications > Evernote

I actually like the new design - seems more intuitive now. What I can't abide, though, are the numerous bugs that should have been caught in QA. You can't possibly be testing in-house without using actual iPhones, yet some of the more egregious errors (crashing, iTunes prompt) are still here. Perhaps you should rethink your quality control process, and not bow to pressure to release something that obviously isn't ready.

• Level 5*
48 minutes ago, tserio2k9 said:

What I can't abide, though, are the numerous bugs that should have been caught in QA.

I can abide the bugs if they can be worked around

The one where Evernote won't launch is a stopper, and my only solution is to downgrade to the previous version.

In a perfect world, there would be no bugs.  If Evernote did an extra n hours testing maybe they would have caught the bugs; maybe not

The reality is, you-know-what happens; you have to make sure you are able to recover from these things

4 hours ago, DTLow said:

The reality is, you-know-what happens; you have to make sure you are able to recover from these things

Right -- Evernote should have a strategy to recover from this disaster such as the one offered on this forum: relabel the last v. 7.x as 8.04 and reissue immediately.

• Level 5*
55 minutes ago, humanengr said:

Evernote should have a strategy to recover from this disaster

I can think of various disasters but software bugs aren't in the list

I was more concerned about the first release because it was losing data

hace 26 minutos, humanengr dijo:

Right -- Evernote should have a strategy to recover from this disaster such as the one offered on this forum: relabel the last v. 7.x as 8.04 and reissue immediately.

If at any time the Evernote development team gets to disable any version prior to version 8.0; Or Apple's development team, when upgrading iOS, will determine that versions prior to 8.0 were unusable, as there are several alternatives: 1) Try to hold those versions of Evernote earlier than versions 8.0, in some way; 2) If that is not possible in any way, since those who prefer the versions prior to 8.x, we could migrate to another application without canceling the Evernote subscription; 3) Do the same as in option 2) and cancel the subscription; 4) Make that policy change to disable an application on the part of Evernote and Apple (when updating iOS, that can happen at any time), because that policy has no practical sense and still commercial sense. Companies do not lose money if users keep an old version of an application, as that would cause us to continue (in the case of Evernote, for example) with the subscription without migrating to another application. Otherwise, at least in my personal case, if I can not use the version of Evernote that I want to continue using and I CAN NEVER have the option to CHOOSE all the options I want to configure (my home screen in Evernote , Present mode, etc.) or retain the option I want for my UI, I have no other alternative than to cancel my subscription. I do not know if this option is the one that is best for Evernote SHAREHOLDERS if this becomes more widespread ... I think they should think about it, do not they?

hace 37 minutos, DTLow dijo:

True ... but I suppose a massive migration of non-conforming Evernote users NOT ONLY with the user interface or the options of the old versions of Evernote that have been dropped, but with the CURRENT PERFORMANCE of ALL versions subsequent to the 8.0, I think it could be described as a disaster for THEY. Anyway, with this user interface, there are better applications than Evernote. For example, Bear, which I am already using and to which I am subscribed and whose subscription is cheaper than subscribing to Evernote, with a difference: WORKS CORRECTLY.

• Level 5*
37 minutes ago, hernanballesteros said:

1) Try to hold those versions of Evernote earlier than versions 8.0, in some way;

Thats possible for those of us using iTunes on desktop computers.  
I have every version in my Mac Time Machine backups

P. S. Still using Bear occasionally, just as a "training" for a hypothetical migration, I still use Evernote on 99% of the occasions and I still LOVE Evernote UNCONDITIONALLY. That's why I'm still subscribed to Evernote. I would really like to know what are the technical, practical and commercial reasons why Evernote (essentially Evernote) does not enable the OPTION to use the updated application and, at the same time, to choose to use the previous versions to the updated version (I think when updating iOS, companies that have their applications on the iTunes Store, are not in serious trouble if they support the old versions of their applications, even if those old versions may lack technical support). For the same reason, is it technically complicated to enable those options that have been dropped and to be able to configure "old-fashioned" Evernote in an updated version? Would that be commercially damaging to the company? Would that be technically harmful to the application or too cumbersome to do? Truly, I would like to know the answers to those questions.

3 小時前, cameronreilly說:

Yeah 8.0.3 crashed on start for me this morning, even after a reboot. I had to delete, reinstall, and then re-sync my 9000 notes. Yay. 

confirmed, 8.0.3 also crashed instantly on my iPhone6S+, hope these bugs fixed asap.

12 hours ago, DTLow said:

I was more concerned about the first release because it was losing data

Again, Evernote should have a strategy to recover from this.

On 26/1/2017 at 10:28 PM, Shawn Callahan said:

Yeps, same for me - a fix to the fix to the fix is needed; now!

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, humanengr said:

So inability to access data is not a concern.

My fallback is my backups, or the web platform

There are various concerns with these releases, varying from annoying to critical

35 minutes ago, DTLow said:

My fallback is my backups, or the web platform

There are various concerns with these releases, varying from annoying to critical

Only a fraction have backups or easy access to them. Web not available on iOS.

So access to data is not critical?

Evernote doesn't need a strategy to recover from this?

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-29 at 7:28 AM, humanengr said:

So access to data is not critical?

Its critical for me.  
If I only had access to one single device/platform, I'd hold off on the upgrade until things shake out

>>Web not available on iOS

I access the web platform on my iPad; as I said, it's my fallback solution
Its not optimized for IOS, but mostly workable

>>Evernote doesn't need a strategy to recover from this?

My understanding is that Evernote is working on resolving issues
They are issuing hot fixes; we're currently at 8.0.3

I'm a EVERNOTE user since 2012, Premium (costing $$$) for 3-4 years and I have more then 5,000 notes. Using iPad Pro and iPhone 5S. So, I'm using EVERNOTE quite a lot !
But since the release of version 8 things are really going down hill to say the least. Like many, many, many other customers I'm experiencing lag, lost notes, lag, problems with search, lag, creating a reminder from ToDay widget not working, lag, creating a reminder from the "+" button on main window opens a note with the clock (reminder) set but need to click in note to start typing, lag,  any many other "little" annoying problems. And did I mention LAG ?

Now I have two "silly" questions:
A) does anybody at EVERNOTE reading our comments ?
B) does anybody at EVERNOTE "really" using Evernote on a daily basis like us, customers ?

For the second question I'm really not sure that anybody is doing it, because they would have noticed all the problems. The problems people are reporting are just plain everyday usage of Evernote, not anything exotic or special, just plain normal usage.

They dont even post (or I should say rarely) anything on the forum to explain, to say the take notice or anything. They dont even apologize for releasing a version that was broken from day one. Even with the latest version (8.03) we are experiencing problems, and did I mention LAG ?

Anyways, we can read some customers looking for something to go to and delete EVERNOTE. The company is making a big mistake right now, IMHO ! Maybe the should release a NEW version 8.1 that would revert back to the last version of Evernote (7) that was working, and work honestly before releasing version 8.2 without too many bugs !

Hopefully we, customers, will get a working version soon or the company will lose many users of EVERNOTE. 

Just my opinion !

Robert

• Level 5*
19 minutes ago, rpigeon said:

A) does anybody at EVERNOTE reading our comments ?

They dont even post (or I should say rarely) anything on the forum to explain, to say the take notice or anything.

You're posting in a discussion started by the Evernote team asking for feedback
Its a good guess theyre reading the replies

I'm seeing that they are taking notice of the issues, following up on them, and issuing fixes

>>They dont even apologize

Others have mentioned the need for an apology 
I don't have the need, and consider it a meaningless PR excercise 

Just my opinion

Wow, I really find this latest version for iPhone a lot slower. It takes a little bit longer for the home screen to become navigable and the notes to become accessible. It is definitely not faster. I love this product but when you are capturing ideas or photos, seconds matter. I'm in this app many, many times a day and this new delay is really annoying.

12 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I agree with DTLow on this. But I understand why most want an apology. I think psychologically it's a normal reaction. It helps put salve on the wound. And the magnitude of the reaction seems proportional to the length of time one's been a premium member, the greater the number of notes, and the criticality of the loss of usability of the app, among other things. For all our sakes, I hope a new release is out soon that, at a minimum, fixes all the significant problems affecting usability. 

31 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You're posting in a discussion started by the Evernote team asking for feedback
Its a good guess theyre reading the replies

I'm seeing that they are taking notice of the issues, following up on them, and issuing fixes

>>They dont even apologize

Just my opinion

:)

As I ended my post : "Just my opinion"

I may add also : a bit of frustration on my part. But I'm staying with EVERNOTE (not moving to OneNote :wacko: ) as I'm sure they will come up with a fix, soon !

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Robert

14 minutes ago, humanengr said:

https://www.evernote.com/MobileBrowserSupportAlert.action yields 

Sorry, Evernote Web is not supported on iPad browsers

You are right Evernote Web is not supported on iPad browser. But, try CHROME (for iPad in App Store) and use the pull down menu (right top corner) and you'll see that you can open a Desktop session. Then Evernote Web will open on your iPad (mine is Pro). Not very friendly, but a good work around, better then nothing I guess.

Robert

• Level 5*

38 minutes ago, humanengr said:

Sorry, Evernote Web is not supported on iPad browsers

Looks like the Mobile website, which I guess the browser delivers because.....mobile device

I switch to the Desktop website by long pressing the refresh button; arrow thing at the end of the address

IMG_1533.PNG

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, rpigeon said:

as I'm sure they will come up with a fix, soon !

I'm optimistic, but I prepare for the worst

First, delay upgrading until all the info is in and the bugs are shaken out

Second, we don't have to upgrade to this release
Issues aside, there are reasons not to
- loss of presentation mode
- don't like the new UI

The app not starting was a stopper and is a good reason for downgrading

As to bugs, there are serious bugs, and others I can live with or work around

Until this is all fixed, can we please have the option to return to v7. It was stable and worked just fine. Personally I don't much care for the new UI so for the sake of an interface change I didn't need or ask for, I get an app that not only continually keeps asking for an Apple login, but every time I go back to EN on my iPad, it tells me the app crashed and would I like to send the report to EN!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

(Just posted this in the App Store - reproducing here)

Hi all,

This is my 7th year using Evernote and my loyalty is flagging fast - I'm ready to bail.

In the past I've raised issues regarding the editor, it's strange behavior such as typing off screen, odd line spacing at times, appalling table function, constant hanging when pasting from innocuous sources like Outlook email, lack of fundament functionality such as format painting or paragraph markers  all of which others must experience as well and more - *but* everything else seems to get an overhaul except the core of the application.

I've recently been using One Note for work and the editor in One Note  is a polished piece of work compared to Evernote.

This afternoon, the Evernote app upgraded on the iPad & iPhone and the User Interface has changed - apparently for the better but right now a piece of information I need can't be accessed - on the iPad or iPhone. I had to go to the PC to find it. I can no longer tell if a sync is in progress. Why a note shows up in the left pane but is blank in the right pane needs me to stop what I'm trying to do and figure out the new UI.

If I didn't have so many notes, many of them  with encrypted parts and hyperlinks, it'd be in the bin by now.

For this type of change to be a priority over a total rework of the core note editor seems to highlight that the Marketing/Product Dev people have a very strange set of priorities. If they disagree, put out an honest survey asking Evernote users what they love/hate/want regarding the editor *and* if the UI really needs to be tweaked as a priority over the editor.

I'll go for a walk around the block before I see what's going on with the new UI but I'm *really* disappointed with the Evernote team responsible for the UI changes and management's lack of vision in sorting out the editor. 

Wrong direction folks - totally.

Bart

17 hours ago, rpigeon said:

You are right Evernote Web is not supported on iPad browser. But, try CHROME (for iPad in App Store) and use the pull down menu (right top corner) and you'll see that you can open a Desktop session. Then Evernote Web will open on your iPad (mine is Pro). Not very friendly, but a good work around, better then nothing I guess.

Robert

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

Looks like the Mobile website, which I guess the browser delivers because.....mobile device

I switch to the Desktop website by long pressing the refresh button; arrow thing at the end of the address

IMG_1533.PNG

Thanks to both. Yes, it is better than nothing and because of that 

Evernote should provide easy direct visible access to it at http://evernote.com on all browsers.

That and cifip's postings here for these 8.0.x releases should point to the browser alternative for those experiencing difficulty.

[humanengr posting as alter-ego]

The release notes indicate that Evernote for iOS 8.0.3 fixes a crash at startup. But for me this problem actually started with version 8.0.3, while I didn't suffered from this problem in previous versions. The Evernote app is now broken; it crashes every time I tap on the app icon. Even after a restart of my phone. I didn't yet try to complete delete the app and reinstall it. 

I own an iPhone 6 running on iOS 10.2.1.
If the Evernote staff needs additional information from my side to troubleshoot, just let me know. 

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, Rexus said:

can we please have the option to return to v7

You can review the posts - some users have suggested the process to downgrade their IOS version
Its not a feature offered by Evernote or IOS

On 27/01/2017 at 3:07 PM, iamhondo said:

FWIW, I was one of the "crash-on-start" victims of 8.0.0, 8.0.1, and 8.0.2. Finally, 8.0.3 (mostly) worked on my iPad. It gave a popup about EN crashing. But after I send the error report it behaved ok. 8.0.3 even (mostly) worked on my de-phoned iPhone 4S. It had been failing with all previous 8.0.x releases on the 4S.

So I've graduated to the "not completely failing every launch" group to the "launching but failing but mostly working" group.

But I'm really getting tired of the whole repeated Apple login bit. I haven't seen an explanation of why EN is demanding that. The stumbling launch bit isn't very enjoyable, either.

Is there any light at the end of this tunnel? So far, I've just seen difference shades of black.

Same issues...this stinks. and Noevernote will not respond. 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, FireManTTSOM said:

Does anyone know why it constantly ask me to log-in every day???? 

and Noevernote will not respond. 

I'm seeing a request from Apple for userid/password - no pattern as to when/why
It happens about twice a week
I just hit cancel and carry on with no problem

So far Evernote responded with three hot fixes.  
I trust they are following up and we'll see more patches.

I'm waiting it out and continuing my testing

Although I do not suffer much from this version, the app does become slower and slower until I delete and reinstall it.

Although I have complained that Evernote 8.0 should be launched, I don't expect the new design should be introduced in a hurry, at least, to avoid the killer bug like the crash.

I suggest the company can tell us that they are working hard on the new version, but not that 'coming soon' marketing strategy! You can explain that redesign needs time, although this can be risky in terms  of competition, but I'm sure your reputation can be saved.

Dear Evernote Team

I noticed a sharp performance drop when writing with the apple pen or scrolling up and down -- on the iPad Pro. Is there any way you can bring the app to the performance levels of version 7 again? In the past, it "felt" like using a paper and pen; this feeling is lost now with the performance drop. 

Please help!

Kind regards, Martin

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Alvin C said:

I suggest the company can tell us that they are working hard on the new version

I've seen no indication or need for a "new version"

I know Evernote is issuing patches to resolve issues with this version (v8)

10 分鐘前, DTLow說:

I've seen no indication or need for a "new version"

I know Evernote is issuing patches to resolve issues with this version (v8)

I'm referring to the circumstance which was before the v8.0 was launched.

I don't know why I still check in on this forum, maybe I am the type that likes watching a train wreck.

8.0.3 fixed the search problem but it was a week too late. I have moved on to Bear. I don't like it as much as I liked Evernote 7, but it works and it's faster than Evernote 8 which has glacial performance on the latest hardware. The downside is that it is apple only, so if you aren't all in on that ecosystem, it's not a suitable replacement. But it's way better than one note at managing notes. 

Utterly baffled by the 8 release. It feels like it was pushed out months too soon with no understanding of how the customers actually use the product.

When you build a product that is meant to be the core of people's workflow, you can't push out a release that doesn't work. They needed to pull the 8.0 release immediately and revert to 7. Astonished they have not yet done so. This is affirming my decision to move on. 

Hi, i use Evernote religiously everyday! One of the most beloved features for me is SEARCH. With each iOS update, it seems like the ease and functionality of the Search feature diminishes more and more. I would like to see the Search feature improve, please! Before, searching would jump to the result, it no longer does this. Please bring back this feature! It is very difficult to scroll through miles of notes while scanning for a highlighted result. Also, I have been asking for a 'find next' option within the Search feature. To my surprise, this is a hidden feature of the Desktop application, so I see that it's totally possible with Evernote. Would be nice to see this implemented throughtout all Search features on all platforms, not just hidden. PLEASE!! &thank you!

On 1/29/2017 at 0:43 PM, rpigeon said:

Robert

Great tip! I will give it a try, thanks so much!

On 1/26/2017 at 0:35 PM, Bikernz said:

Same here. 

Was running fine until 8.0.3 

Now can't open or use it. 

Archived