Move notes in shared notebooks

DvF

Here is our setup (we all use evernote on our MAC):

• My boss has a business account
  • My account and all the other accounts are just free accounts
  • My boss has created multiple business notebooks and shared them via email (workchat?) with us (highest permission)
  • He, and also we create notes in that notebooks
  • When I want to move a note from one notebook he created to another notebook he created, two things can happen:
  1. nothing – literally nothing happens and the note just stays where it is
  2. I get the information that some of the selected notes are not part of my notebooks – I agree to move them anyway
    1. The note gets moved to the selected notebook
    2. The note disappears from that notebook and appears in my default notebook
    3. I get a little red bubble on my sync icon
  • If i want to delete a note from a notebook then it disappears but reappears after a short time

So we also tried if this whole setup also happens if I invite him to a normal notebook I created. He also cannot move notes between my notebook eventhough I gave him the highest permission.

What can we do?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, DvF said:

When I want to move a note from one notebook he created to another notebook he created

What is the method you're using to do this move?
There is a "duplicate to Notebook" that might be safer

• Level 5*

I was able to reproduce this issue - I get your outcome #2 - i.e. the note get moved to my default notebook and I get the red ! on Sync.  Additionally I can see this error in my Activity Log which is consistent with the other behaviors:

Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-2000 "Unable to save note \U201cA test note!\U201d in notebook \U201cNB Shared\U201d. A copy of this note has been placed in your default notebook." 

However, if I then right-click the note in my default notebook, there is a "Move to [name of target notebook] Again" option - if I select that, it successfully moves the note from my default notebook to the correct destination!  Try that and see if you get the same behavior.  If so, it's an extra step but at least does allow you to perform the move.

Having provided that workaround, this looks like a bug in the Mac client to me, and I would suggest you use your boss' Business account to report it.

P.S.  The situation is actually worse than the above - after the first Move attempt, when I look at the initial notebook that contained the note on my Mac client, that note is no longer showing as being in that notebook.  However, when I look at that notebook on my Windows client, the note is still there!  That's a bug for sure, that the Windows and Mac clients differ in what they show as being in a notebook.

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

What is the method you're using to do this move?
There is a "duplicate to Notebook" that might be safer

I used several methods:

1. Drag on Notebook in Quick Access List
  2. Click on notebook in the top left of the note -> move to notebook
  3. Right-click on the note in the note list -> move to notebook
  4. Right-click on the note in reminder list -> move to notebook

Our notes contain lots of data. Large image files, ZIP Files and stuff and they usually contain a lot of Text. And on top of that we move them around quite often. Meaning I move the note to a notebook, we discuss about it, and a few minutes later it gets moved to another notebook. We work very dynamic with this. Also when wo do a planning it can happen that the notes get moved around multiple times in a minute.

11 hours ago, phils said:

I was able to reproduce this issue - I get your outcome #2 - i.e. the note get moved to my default notebook and I get the red ! on Sync.  Additionally I can see this error in my Activity Log which is consistent with the other behaviors:

Error Domain=ENSyncEngineErrorDomain Code=-2000 "Unable to save note \U201cA test note!\U201d in notebook \U201cNB Shared\U201d. A copy of this note has been placed in your default notebook." 

However, if I then right-click the note in my default notebook, there is a "Move to [name of target notebook] Again" option - if I select that, it successfully moves the note from my default notebook to the correct destination!  Try that and see if you get the same behavior.  If so, it's an extra step but at least does allow you to perform the move.

Having provided that workaround, this looks like a bug in the Mac client to me, and I would suggest you use your boss' Business account to report it.

P.S.  The situation is actually worse than the above - after the first Move attempt, when I look at the initial notebook that contained the note on my Mac client, that note is no longer showing as being in that notebook.  However, when I look at that notebook on my Windows client, the note is still there!  That's a bug for sure, that the Windows and Mac clients differ in what they show as being in a notebook.

Yes, the workaround with the default notebook is how we currently avoid this problem. But as you can see in my description above I am moving notes quite often. We noticed quite a few possible bugs like if you "heavy use" for example the reminder list. But all of the bugs so far have been things we could handle one or the other way. But this ... good to know it is really a bug and not just us. Good for us that we use only Mac.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, phils said:

That is definetly something that can be followed up on
I agree with you that the best solution is to open a support ticket

6 hours ago, DvF said:

Our notes contain lots of data. Large image files, ZIP Files and stuff and they usually contain a lot of Text.

I wouldn't think size is a factor
In reality, there is very little actual "moving"
There is a field on the note that says Notebook xxxx
- you are changing that field to Notebook yyyy

>>I used several methods
Except for the dragging, the methods look safe
Sometimes when I drag items, they get dropped in the wron place

9 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I wouldn't think size is a factor
In reality, there is very little actual "moving"
There is a field on the note that says Notebook xxxx
- you are changing that field to Notebook yyyy

I am not so sure about this. All the files that are in a note need to be duplicated, synchronized and moved. And for the move only: All those notes also have a reminder set and are in a special position in the remider list.

I surely will create a support ticket out of this issue with a reference to this dicussion here. Thanks to you both for your responses.

Archived