Request: option to keep current notebook selection when selecting/exploring tags (rather than defaulting to always first showing tag results for "All Notebooks")

The big Discovery

Idea

Many of my tags are shared between notebooks - but I work in one notebook at a time. 

Currently, whenever I select a tag in the left navigation window, EN defaults to showing where that tag shows up in "all notebooks". 

It would be useful if EN could remember/have an option to show tag results for the current notebook selected. 

For now, I am spending extra time clicking to "unselect" the "All notebooks" default behavior, but hopefully one day soon this can change.

(PS: this request is a follow-up to a question I posed here: 

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, The big Discovery said:
Currently, whenever I select a tag in the left navigation window, EN defaults to showing where that tag shows up in "all notebooks". 

It would be useful if EN could remember/have an option to show tag results for the current notebook selected. 

Try using the tag picker: View / Search Information; the tag picker it to right side of the search information panel, or just use Alt+Shift+T. Click on the tag picker button, and select a tag (tag hierarchy is not shown, unfortunately) by scrolling and clicking, or start typing and choose the one you want, and also maintain your notebook context. The nice thing here is that the tag list in the tag picker will then filter down to tags contained in the set of notes that have the first tag.

19 hours ago, jefito said:

Try using the tag picker: View / Search Information; the tag picker it to right side of the search information panel, or just use Alt+Shift+T. Click on the tag picker button, and select a tag (tag hierarchy is not shown, unfortunately) by scrolling and clicking, or start typing and choose the one you want, and also maintain your notebook context. The nice thing here is that the tag list in the tag picker will then filter down to tags contained in the set of notes that have the first tag.

Thanks for this tip! Unfortunately all my tags are very nested (I neglected to mention), so I cannot work well with the interface you suggest. Although I'm sure your suggestion works wonders for other types of systems that people have.

21 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Select the notebook from the left panel,  and the Search Explanation bar shows:  ScreenClip [1].png

Drag a tag to the same bar and it shows: ScreenClip [2].png

Same notebook,  added tag.

Hello - this is indeed another way to start the process of exploring tags in a notebook. Unfortunately this approach doesn't help reduce the number of clicks required when you want to next explore a different tag in the same notebook (you would have to drag the new tag and then delete the previously selected tag - the dreaded extra click lingers...)

• Level 5*
On 1/25/2017 at 0:29 PM, The big Discovery said:

It would be useful if EN could remember/have an option to show tag results for the current notebook selected

Definitely not something doable in EN today, I up voted.  

In the meantime for a left panel user, x'ing out the tag from the search explanation and then Ctrl-selecting the next tag is about as quick as it is going to get, I think.  FWIW.

I know some will disagree with me on this, but my own personal feelings are that the selected notebook should never, EVER change unless I manually change it.  If I want to search "All Notebooks", then I will click on the notebook name and change it to "All Notebooks". 

No.  Although it sounds like it would.

An earlier suggestion from this thread works fine for me - ctrl-click on the Tag - so it's no longer vital, but, I'd still love to have an option to make it work "my way".

Thanks.

Archived