Word/Character Count for Selection of Text

jamoiholland

Idea

I'm aware of the availability of text statistics for an entire note. However, working on CFPs and other types of documents, I want to check the number of characters or words for a specific paragraph or title section for example, not the entire note which may have revisions and buffer text. Currently I open Word, copy and paste, then get the statistics there, which is daft.

• Like 1

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
22 minutes ago, jamoiholland said:

I'm aware of the availability of text statistics for an entire note. However, working on CFPs and other types of documents, I want to check the number of characters or words for a specific paragraph or title section

On my Mac I use the WordServices free add onScreen Shot 2017-01-24 at 8.09.13 AM.png

• Like 2

Have there been any moves to add this facility to Evernote?  It's something I'd have liked on a number of occasions.  

At the moment, for example, I'm creating a review that must be <= 1000 characters.   It would be very useful to have on the fly character & word statistics displayed for a note and/or selection.   Even selecting another service to carry out this function is really more effort than it should take to get this information in a modern (ie, (late 20th to early 21st) Century) application.  I prefer to work within a single application for the most part, or have seamless integration between multiple apps ... after all, part of the computer's raison d'être is to take the repetitive drudge out of activities!  🙂

• Level 5*
On 3/30/2019 at 12:01 PM, Stuart Bruff said:

Have there been any moves to add this facility to Evernote?

As I hinted above - if you paste text into an Evernote note,  the installed desktop client will give you an automatic word count in the note stats bar.  I use that frequently either to draft a new document in a note,  or to copy and paste text (like tweets) to check on wordage...