sort order on iOS Evernote

southernforge

Idea

Hello,

When sorting notes by date created, the newest Notes show up at the top. When sorting by title, the sort order is reversed. I would like to request that short order be customizable.  I use dates (in the format of 161203, for a note created today), in the titles of my notes, and it would be very useful to be able to see the newest notes at the top, not just the bottom. 

• Like 1

78 replies to this idea

I badly miss this feature as well! It was available in the previous version of a evernote for iOS and I don't know why it was removed with the update. I have a few diaries with hundreds of entries labelled YYYY.MMDD and having to scroll down manually to find entries of a couple of weeks ago is a drag...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
19 minutes ago, prodromus said:

To me this feels more like a bug report rather then a feature request

Regardless.  Evernote still has to prioritize the work, even if it's "fairly easy doable"

One of the decision factors is the vote count.  Please add your vote to this request
Voting buttons are in the top left corner of the discussion

Guest lulu the music man

I to need this very badly...I was recommending Evernote to all of my friends and colleagues for a solid month until I realized that there is literally no way to sort from oldest-newest unless you're on the desktop, and even then it doesn't translate to iOS.  I work in TV and if this isn't remedied soon I'll have to move on.

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, MCShults said:

I find it very difficult generally extract the information I need from the iOS app in particular.

You've tacked on to a feature request discussion for sort options.

I find data searches work the same on each platform and I use the same search shortcuts

More info on the search grammar can be viewed here     Evernote Search Grammar

I too would love to be able to sort by title in descending order (on my iPhone) as I use a YYYY-MM-DD prefix for my notes. So certainly would be nice not to not have to scroll all the way to a bottom of a notebook. 

Perhaps I am not alone in this endeavor, but I have a receipts notebook where the naming convention utilizes the YYYY-MM-DD prefix for all of those notes (where each receipt is a separate note). As you can imagine, being able to sort by title in descending order on my iPhone would be phenomenal. 

• Like 1

I too would like to add this feature. It is VERY important to me - I am setting up a Note naming convention in Evernote to turn it into a timelined project management system for a client. If it works, then I would like to roll it out for other clients, but without the iOS enabled sort ordering... Also is this the cas for Android phone too - can they sort?

+1

To me this feels more like a bug report rather then a feature request, since the other two sorting options (changed & created) will sort by putting the latest on top...

This is a well matured (9 months and counting) and fairly easy doable request.

So please Evernote...

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
20 hours ago, pallealle said:

All my archiving is done using yyyymmdd and it is a real shame it is not possible to do this with Evernote. Evernote, please make it possible to do this.

Is this still a sort issue or are you having s problem with "archiving is done using yyyymmdd"
My archiving is done by applying an Archive tag

• Level 5*
22 hours ago, pallealle said:

All my archiving is done using yyyymmdd and it is a real shame it is not possible to do this with Evernote. Evernote, please make it possible to do this.

How is it done?

How is this not implemented yet? I really wish Evernote would tackle its updates like Dave Ramsy's 'Snow Ball' debt method. Start with the fastest and easiest changes that people want and deal with them as soon as possible. It would make people happier and make the remaining pile of changes manageable. These main changes can be done when major updates occur. 

I really struggle when they implement 'new features' but fail to fix the existing ones. How many years does it take to fix these simple things?

I use the exact same system as OP, yyyy-mm-dd in the note title. Now I see the oldest notes first, not the newest and there doesn't seem to be a way to reverse this. No reason to not have this feature in Evernote for iPad.

I use Evernote on my PC and one of my iPads. I start each note with YYYY_MM_DD in the title. On my PC there is an option to sort the title in descending order. This leaves the most recent notes at the top of the stack. This is very convenient.

On my iPad Pro there is an option to sort by title, but it only works in ascending order. This puts my most recent notes at the very bottom of the stack. I have hundreds of notes in some folders making this is very inconvenient.

As you can see by the number of responses to this post, this is a very hot item. Please add this to your next release.

• Level 5*
On 3/14/2019 at 2:48 PM, TonyK728 said:

As you can see by the number of responses to this post, this is a very hot item. Please add this to your next release.

There is a feature request posted at the top of the discussions.  Current vote count is 114064827_ScreenShot2019-03-15at14_58_56.png.1e083367ea98eea9ed34a2e7148fa513.png

To indicate your support for this request, use the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion.

• Level 5*

I've merged the discussions for this request.

@longbranch  Evernote has not indicated an interest in expanding the IOS sort options.

To indicate support for this request use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

• Level 5*

Hi.  The sort works in both directions - one click on Created Date sorts ascending,  another click changes to descending.  Same for titles and all the other sort options.

Sorry: just saw the client involved here.  This is how sort works on (Windows) desktops.  YMMV!

Hi, I have a Evernote notebook with entries named with a specific datestamp as first word (e. g. 2016-09-21) and want to see last entries first so on desktop I set reverse alphabetical order. On desktop there is this option and it works. But on iOS I have to scroll down the whole list because there is no reverse order option?!?!
Regards Ernst

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
On 2017-01-22 at 11:06 PM, ernstMreicher said:

But on iOS I have to scroll down the whole list because there is no reverse order option?!?!

3 hours ago, PFO said:

I have this very same problem!! Is there a solution on the way?

Evernote has given no indication of an intention to add reverse alphabetical order to the sort options

One alternative I use is to add a prefix to the title to control the sequence
If you add a "-" to the title, that note will show at the top of the list

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-05 at 0:14 AM, gilbycoyote said:

Also sort by tag should be available.

On other platforms (Mac), I can display a tag column and actually sort by it
It's not too useful with notes having multiple tags: the sort is only applied to the first tag

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

On my Mac, I can display a tag column and actually sort by it
It's not too useful with notes having multiple tags: the sort is only applied to the first tag

If i'm not mistaken, tags are sorted by alphabetical order multiple tags are as well sorted alphabeticaly Inside a note

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-05 at 6:52 AM, gilbycoyote said:

If i'm not mistaken, tags are sorted by alphabetical order multiple tags are as well sorted alphabeticaly Inside a note

That is correct.  My comment related to sorting notes into tag sequence

The note order only applies to the first tag

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DTLow said:

That is correct.  My comment related to sorting notes into tag sequence

I can do that on my Mac, but the order only applies to the first tag

But this is an IOS forum....  

and on the Mac doesn't it sort by the second tag as well if multiple tags in a note?

• Level 5*
On 2017-02-05 at 10:16 AM, csihilling said:

doesn't it sort by the second tag as well if multiple tags in a note?

For multi-tag notes, sorting by tags gives you something like
a  a   a,b  a,x  a,x,z  b  b,x  c  c  x  z
It works for the first tag; all the a's are together
Falls apart for the second tag - you can see the b's and x's are spaced apart
Then when you create a new tag like !Now, the a's are no longer together

• Level 5*

Not sure it falls apart per se.  It sorts by tag1, then by tag2 within tag1, then tag3 within tag2.  There is order to the chaos.  ;)

If you want the b's together they have to be the high/low tag in the set of notes.  Which is why we sometimes preface tags with ! or _ or = so as to force them to the front of a tag sort.

I rue being UNable to set the sort order (in the iOS app) so as to show my latest journal entries first, which notes I (for this very reason) title for this very purpose (e.g. 20170503 DAILY JOURNAL).

Having to scroll down through dozens, hundreds, or thousands of entries on an iPhone is prohibitive; and because I have lots of other things going on in Evernote, using the "most recently updated" sort still leaves things disorganized and hard to find when you're trying to pop something up quickly in front of a group of people, say, in a meeting.

I bought on the promise that Evernote works across platforms, and have invested a great deal of data into Evernote in hopes of being able to quickly and conveniently access the information I need "on the hoof" from my hand-held iOS "phablet", and for that matter, my take-it-on-the-plane iPad PRO. Isn't that pretty much along the lines of what they tell us when they're asking us to commit to that monthly (or yearly) payment?

In practice, and without specifically enumerating issues off the sort-order topic here, I have been disappointed at finding the Evernote iOS app not-so-ready-for-prime-time-really. It's relatively difficult to extract complex information from a small device in any case, so in that sense the iOS app really needs to be better; --and not just a abridged-afterthought redheaded-stepchild version of the PC app.

I HOPE AND ASK that Evernote beef up the iOS app. I think they should start from a blank slate and build a new iOS / mobile app from scratch. It's that clumsy and ungainly as it is. I think that, at the very least, paying customers who need to access Evernote via iOS deserve better than what they're getting!

17 hours ago, DTLow said:

You've tacked on to a feature request discussion for sort options.

I find data searches work the same on each platform and I use the same search shortcuts

More info on the search grammar can be viewed here     Evernote Search Grammar

DT - You're quite right. I was quite unclear; so based on your courteous suggestion, I have hopefully made my meaning and it's pertinence to the topic at hand, more comprehensible. Thank you for your kind notice.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Zeleny said:

the newer ones end up at the bottom when sorted alphabetically

the newer ones end up at the top when sorted by date

My default sort sequence is modification date

4 hours ago, Guest lulu the music man said:

I to need this very badly...I was recommending Evernote to all of my friends and colleagues for a solid month until I realized that there is literally no way to sort from oldest-newest unless you're on the desktop, and even then it doesn't translate to iOS.  I work in TV and if this isn't remedied soon I'll have to move on.

Interesting...I just realized I’ve stopped recommending Evernote. I still use it and I’ll tell people when I talk about going paperless and they ask. I guess I’m just not seeing any fixes that matter to me (I’m also having an issue with attachments reverting to the original name after I rename them...that’s been going on for a while).

So...Evernote, the iOS sort order issue is starting to matter. I think it needs to be implemented/fixed. Also, can you run up the attachment renaming bug up the priority ladder? It’s starting to waste a lot of time

• Sad 1
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, SMCB said:

I use my iPad when I go to doctor appointments and it just takes too long to find things.

Additional sort options would be useful.  I added my vote to the request.

In the meantime, how about a table of contents note.  You can control that sort sequence.  Also, it gets rid of the clutter to only show the important stuff.

On 1/23/2017 at 2:06 AM, ernstMreicher said:

Hi, I have a Evernote notebook with entries named with a specific datestamp as first word (e. g. 2016-09-21) and want to see last entries first so on desktop I set reverse alphabetical order. On desktop there is this option and it works. But on iOS I have to scroll down the whole list because there is no reverse order option?!?!
Regards Ernst

I would love to see the ability to reverse the sort order in the IOS apps.

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I've merged the discussions for this request.

@longbranch  Evernote has not indicated an interest in expanding the IOS sort options.

To indicate support for this request use the voting buttons in the top left corner of the discussion.

Thanks. I hope consolidating the discussions increases the exposure this request is getting but I'm also aware that users have been asking for this for years.

I've upvoted but don't seem to see much interest either.

Seems simple to me, too...three sort options (already there) and the reverse sort option of all three.

HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM...

Happy Birthday!  (...well tomorrow) this issue is now a Toddler

The statement , “I contacted the support and they gave me the advice to post it here so they can see if more users ’have the same problem’ “ - ernstMreicher

Please elevate this huge inconvenience! Obviously this is a tougher programming issue than we users understand but maybe there should be a maturation process brought to the feature enhancements? 
Let’s hope this issue does not see it’s teenager years it’s time to kill it off. 

Hi all,

my first idea in this forum.

Currently, it is not possible to define the sorting direction (ascending / descending). This would be a big help, I think for anyone and I would like to ask to realize this feature in one of the next version.

Thxs,

Hi!

I would just like to say I love this app.  I'm working on becoming paper free in my house scanning everything into it.  When I use the program on my desktop I can go into "List Note Options" and have the choice to reverse the sort order of the notes.  This feature isn't available when I use Evernote on my iPad Air 2.  Is there a reason this can't be done or could you please, please pretty please make a change so it does work on IOS?

As well as all of my documents I also use Evernote to track all of my medical history which is quite extensive and is filed by date.  When I need to find out something in a hurry I have to scroll through to the very bottom of the Notebook to get the most recent note.  Right now that's around 500 entries.   I use my iPad when I go to doctor appointments and it just takes too long to find things.

I hope this is something that you can fix.  I'm sure I can't be the only one that has this problem!

Thanks,

Sue

• Level 5*
53 minutes ago, SMCB said:

I also use Evernote to track all of my medical history which is quite extensive and is filed by date.  When I need to find out something in a hurry I have to scroll through to the very bottom of the Notebook to get the most recent note.  Right now that's around 500 entries.   I use my iPad when I go to doctor appointments and it just takes too long to find things.

I hope this is something that you can fix.  I'm sure I can't be the only one that has this problem!

Hi.  Why not use a specific notebook for your medical history,  and save each day's (or hour's) notes as separate notes with the date (and time,  if it's significant) in the title?  Sort that notebook by title and the latest note will be at the top.

Tip:  use yyyymmdd format for the date,  as in 20190412 1807 to correctly sort into a timeline.

Evernote generally works best with short notes - they're easier to manage,  and - should the worst happen,  and you lose or corrupt a note - all you lose is one event,  not an entire year of history!  (That doesn't replace keeping regular backups too,  though)  

Thanks for responding!

I have a separate notebook set up for medical and I name the notes with the date format yyyymmdd.  When I open the notebook the oldest entry is first all of the time.  I can switch the order of notes on my pc with no problem but my iPad doesn’t have an option to reverse the order.

Anymore ideas? 🙂

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, SMCB said:

Anymore ideas? 🙂

Assuming that you still have access to searches,  what about a saved search for notebook:<medical> created:day-5 to get the last few days of notes in one screen?  The number of days is optional,  of course.

12 hours ago, gazumped said:

Assuming that you still have access to searches,  what about a saved search for notebook:<medical> created:day-5 to get the last few days of notes in one screen?  The number of days is optional,  of course.

I can still do searches but I’m not sure how to do what you are telling me.  Could you tell me the procedure so I can try it?

Thanks so much!

11 hours ago, DTLow said:

Additional sort options would be useful.  I added my vote to the request.

In the meantime, how about a table of contents note.  You can control that sort sequence.  Also, it gets rid of the clutter to only show the important stuff.

Thank you for your support on this!  Could you explain how to do this?

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, SMCB said:

I can still do searches but I’m not sure how to do what you are telling me.  Could you tell me the procedure so I can try it?

Thanks so much!

Literally you create a saved search containing the bolded text from my previous post - which is more easily done in my Windows desktop account - and save it as a shortcut.  When I open my Android app the shortcuts are still visible and usable.  Your mileage may vary in iOS,  but I can run a saved search and see a list of results on my mobile any time.  You can vary the minus number to change the previous period being looked for.  My current choices say:  "show me the notes from the notebook <medical> that were created in the past 5 days".

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, SMCB said:

Thank you for your support on this!  Could you explain how to do this?

2008717417_ScreenShot2019-04-13at17_17_05.png.58a44aa24ad110b1068176538996a439.pngThe screenshot is a ToC note showing my daily jounal notes
It's just a list of links to notes

I can manually add entries one by one
Using my Mac, I can generate the entire list with a few clicks

----------------

Following up on @gazumped's date created search, my note list would be as shown below.  Still in the wrong sequence, but less notes to scroll through

1632939969_ScreenShot2019-04-13at19_58_47.png.40866d2831910d39a797b546045db6ac.png

All:

This has been requested for years.......there is no indication that it will adopted anytime soon.

Seems pretty simple...maybe that's why it is overlooked. Customers too.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, KWR said:

Seems pretty simple...maybe that's why it is overlooked. Customers too.

Not much user support on the; only 31 votes
To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

>>Perhaps the “Voting Process” could itself be better distributed to us users. 

I don't have all the details.  The one thing I know is; to indicate support for a request, click on the vote button

Note: the forum post lists are sorted by # of votes by default
7F69B4B1-C0E7-49E0-B2E2-93DED1C17874.thumb.png.90130c1e32af3e68a7ba8bbbe4ed5274.png

With all due respect. (I’ve been reading your helpful and thoughtful suggestions and fixes for years). Perhaps the “Voting Process” could itself be better distributed to us users. 

I have a feeling that just because we don’t ‘vote’ for a suggestion, but merely ask for one, the suggestion - and appropriate response - is lost. 

thank you for helping me understand how to communicate better with the user base and Evernote Staff.

• Like 1

Merge on order selected makes the most sense to me, then your merged note should look like you need it to. Better yet, make the merged note editable...reorder combined notes after merge. It would make the merge feature SO much better and productive.

• Level 5*
45 minutes ago, Dave L said:

Merge on order selected makes the most sense to me, then your merged note should look like you need it to. Better yet, make the merged note editable...reorder combined notes after merge. It would make the merge feature SO much better and productive.

Where are you seeing a merge function in IOS?

• Level 5*
On 12/3/2016 at 9:29 AM, southernforge said:

When sorting notes by date created, the newest Notes show up at the top. When sorting by title, the sort order is reversed.

The latest version (10.0) supports ascending or descending sort sequence

Hey! Thanks for putting the word out on this. This is exactly what I've been waiting for. In my case, I wanted to be able to sort by title with the latest notes (by date e.g. 20201005 note name) at the top.

Better very late than never! Thanks Evernote.