Evernote v8.0.2 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

Thank you for your feedback - both positive as well as constructive. We're listening and continue working on fixing critical issues as fast as we can. 8.0 is just the beginning - there will be lots of great updates coming throughout the year, and your feedback is both essential and welcome.

We released Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch v8.0.2 earlier today.

What's fixed in 8.0.2:

• Fixed our top crasher - related to thumbnail generation in note list snippets
    • This surfaced as crash on launch, crash when scrolling a note list, or crash on search
  • Swiping to delete a newly created empty note will no longer move another note to Trash
  • Audio, ink, & file attachments are now inserted at the cursor position when editing a note
  • PDF annotation (Premium feature) is no longer disabled for some PDFs
  • Zooming in on an image in annotation no longer resets the size of the image on that screen
  • The app UI no longer gets stuck in an odd view when partially swiping back in Settings

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, SteveHoughton said:

I would like to see a statement from Evernote about these problems

22 minutes ago, AntoineG said:

+1

Just wondering what kind of statement you're looking for?

In the release notes at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/103190-evernote-v80-for-ios-released/?do=findComment&comment=447989
the development team documented what problems they solved and are focusing on

I would have liked the post to include a complete list of outstanding problems to date

And perhaps a warning like
This version is in the early stages and could have issues - Be aware of the risk

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

Just wondering what kind of statement you're looking for?

In the release notes at https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/103190-evernote-v80-for-ios-released/?do=findComment&comment=447989
the development team documented what problems they solved and are focusing on

I would have liked the post to include a complete list of outstanding problems to date

And perhaps a warning like
This version is in the early stages and could have issues - Be aware of the risk

What kind of statement ? Let's say : "Please excuse us, we fucked up." Something like that, more or less.

1 hour ago, Mercuria Finance said:

New release does not work on my iPad Pro.  Launches the app but then keeps it in the background.  Cannot bring it to the foreground.  Rebooted, etc.  to no avail.  This is ridiculous.  You want us to make this product a core part of our life then it becomes completely unavailable!

I think that's why I'm so angry. This app. contains a lot of my life and now it's useless.

On 1/24/2017 at 10:58 PM, DTLow said:

This isn't pertinent to the release and we should be discussing this in a new topic

The conventional answer to preventing conflicts is to make sure you sync on both devices when switching to a new device.  This is  particularly important when you're updating the same note

It is actually a severe bug. The Windows client isn't being used to modify the note in any way. The original notes contain a number of ink/handwriting images, no text other than some white space to separate the ink.

The synchronization code is making the following errors:

1. incorrectly converting the ink images to ordinary images (after which it become impossible to continue editing them on the iOS client). [Edit: This actually only happens if the note is duplicated.]
  2. Duplicating ink images. Often the duplicate is an earlier version of the ink image.
  3. Re-inserting ink images that were deleted from the note.
  4. Losing ink image edits. This is the most severe issue as it is non-recoverable. The edits are just gone.

EDIT: Given #4 above, I'm now using a competing note taking app as it is impossible to use Evernote if it doesn't preserve my changes. My earliest Evernote notes date from 2007-12-29. Can we count on you to protect and secure our content or not?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, cargoblues said:

What kind of statement ? Let's say : "Please excuse us, we fucked up." Something like that, more or less.

I understood the OPs request for an apology 

I was commenting on their other request for a statement and the items to be included.
I also pointed them to the release notes

18 hours ago, SteveHoughton said:

I would like to see a statement from Evernote about these problems and an apology to the thousands of paying customers who have lost access to a once perfect product. 

Also are the Mac and Windows versions going to have the IOS restyle?

I am tired for waiting for Evernote team to fix bugs with crashing at startup and reinstall iOS app. Now it is launching. Wow! (sarcasm). But I discovered that search is not working, I can not find my often used notes via the search in iOS app. Then I starred these notes in the desktop client. Then I can open it in iOS app. GUI rendering is buggy. Previous version of Evernote client for iOS (7.x I suppose) was beautiful. It was comfortable. Search was worked always and search was fast. 

17 hours ago, cargoblues said:

As for me, I expect from Evernote team to rollback to previous version in iOS client (besides of excuses)

6 hours ago, osya said:

As for me, I expect from Evernote team to rollback to previous version in iOS client (besides of excuses)

Yes you're right but I think it's in our dreams. It would show humility and intelligence from the people who made this stupid version. Humility begins with apologies.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, osya said:

As for me, I expect from Evernote team to rollback to previous version in iOS client

It may happen, but I'd look more on the self help solutions - suggestions have been posted in these discussions

If you're staying with V8, I'd recommend staying with the hot fix releases being posted

5 minutes ago, cargoblues said:

Yes you're right but I think it's in our dreams. It would show humility and intelligence from the people who made this stupid version. Humility begins with apologies.

My preference is that Evernote concentrate on getting V8 stable

I don't need th PR apology stuff

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It may happen, but I'd look more on the self help solutions - suggestions have been posted in these discussions

If you're staying with V8, I'd recommend staying with the hot fix releases being posted

My preference is that Evernote concentrate on getting V8 stable

I don't need th PR apology stuff

My preference is to get what I paid for : A perfect app with an elegant and convenient UI. I don't want this new version, so as soon as the older version will have somme compatibility issue. I'll go somewhere else and get an other app. And I'm not happy because of this contingency.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, cargoblues said:

My preference is to get what I paid for : A perfect app with an elegant and convenient UI.

I don't know of any "perfect" apps; please let us know if you find one

>>I don't want this new version

You can stay with the version you prefer.  No one is forcing this upgrade on you (yet)

11 minutes ago, cargoblues said:

My preference is to get what I paid for : A perfect app with an elegant and convenient UI. I don't want this new version, so as soon as the older version will have somme compatibility issue. I'll go somewhere else and get an other app. And I'm not happy because of this contingency.

Everything you say seems perfectly reasonable from your perspective. No one, from Basics to Premium subscribers, is pleased with this fiasco. We all want a perfect app. But in the real world that's never going to happen. There will always be some glitches. What you hope for is that they'll never reach the magnitude that we've seen here.

You apparently are on 7.0 because you either never updated to 8.0 or you used the techniques discussed in the forums to revert back to 7.0. If I was in your shoes, I'd sit tight too. But to never update and go elsewhere when your ver. 7.0 app stops functioning adequately, I'm not so sure I'd commit to that just yet.

As far as DTLow's comments that you quoted, I agree with him completely. I want EN totally focused on getting 8.0 completely stable and any explanation they choose to give can come later. Anything they say will just be lipstick on the pig anyway.

4 minutes ago, jim.g said:

Everything you say seems perfectly reasonable from your perspective. No one, from Basics to Premium subscribers, is pleased with this fiasco. We all want a perfect app. But in the real world that's never going to happen. There will always be some glitches. What you hope for is that they'll never reach the magnitude that we've seen here.

You apparently are on 7.0 because you either never updated to 8.0 or you used the techniques discussed in the forums to revert back to 7.0. If I was in your shoes, I'd sit tight too. But to never update and go elsewhere when your ver. 7.0 app stops functioning adequately, I'm not so sure I'd commit to that just yet.

As far as DTLow's comments that you quoted, I agree with him completely. I want EN totally focused on getting 8.0 completely stable and any explanation they choose to give can come later. Anything they say will just be lipstick on the pig anyway.

The question is : "Is Evernote unavoidable ? The answer is no, I can tell you. A perfect app doesn't exist : true. An unavoidable app doesn't exist : true.

Stick to the 8.0 version if you are satisfied with it. I'm a Premium member since 2010 and if I can't get what I paid for I'll go elsewhere. And I will not pay for something I dislike so much.

If you are so happy, please tell me what are the improvements in this 8.0 version ? I'd be very curious to know one. Except if I buy the Evernote announcement of this fabulous new version with a splendid new UI, etc... But I don't buy it. And I'm just lucky enough to have been able to downgrade.

• Level 5*
20 minutes ago, jim.g said:

It would be nice to have the capability to revert to v7 pending the fixing of v8 added to the list of options.  Just sayin'....  

I'm about to go down the dark path of reverting my iPad since it is basically unusable at this point.  My iPhone, though less productive from a "press" basis, is still responsive and quick. Go figure.

EDIT:  And frankly, if I were the EN product manager and these forums are representative of the overall experience of all EN customers, I would pull v8.  Do a Johnson & Johnson on it.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, cargoblues said:

If you are so happy, please tell me what are the improvements in this 8.0 version ?

I'm just a happy person :)
I also got missed on the problems other users are experiencing - I don't know why

There were UI changes, but I can't say they're improvements.  
- There are changes I like, but its subjective
- How about font sizes and colours

Also, there were features removed , like Presentation Mode
I can certainly understand some users not upgrading

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, cargoblues said:

If you are so happy, please tell me what are the improvements in this 8.0 version ?

From the forums, you might hear the sound of crickets on this one.

2 hours ago, cargoblues said:

How in the world could you have read into what I said that I was happy. Scratching my head on that one.

This app has stopped working on my iPad since the upgrade. This is very very frustrating to say the least. When will this be fixed.

The problem is I have so many notes and now the thing crashes all the time and shuts down when I want to add a note. Why did you mess with such a great app, it worked great previous to this new "great" upgrade. Does anyone know of an app like this that actually does what it promises.

On 4/1/2017 at 5:49 PM, G-nmg said:

This app has stopped working on my iPad since the upgrade. This is very very frustrating to say the least. When will this be fixed.

The problem is I have so many notes and now the thing crashes all the time and shuts down when I want to add a note. Why did you mess with such a great app, it worked great previous to this new "great" upgrade. Does anyone know of an app like this that actually does what it promises.

Have you deleted the app and reinstalled since upgrading. It's simple but fixed the issues you are having for many. 

Archived