Search Functionality for the User

JDEvolutionist

Idea

The Search option should include an options box that allows the user to directly select how a search is to be carried out. This would be done in addition to the ability to specify an operator within a search and could perhaps be best done by allowing the user to first enter a general search and then to fine tune the results of that search by selecting a specific operator from a menu list to narrow the search results if the first search was not specific enough. It would draw a user's attention to the fact that searches can incorporate operators and would potentially simplify their usage. 

8 replies to this idea

On 10/02/2015 Gazumped posted the following comment which gives reference for Evernote Search functionality. I found it very useful. The URLs takes you to a straightforward explanation of the use of 'operators' related to search operations. There is a further URL (Search Grammar) at the end of this explanation that takes you to a more detailed account of searching. All this may be well known by many but I was basically ignorant of the features!!

"Hi.  There has been a lot of discussion about notebooks v tags v titles in the forums.  The general consensus seems to be users should go with whatever suits their own particular needs and wishes - there's no 'right' way to do things.  The search function however isn't as limited as you've found so far.  You can use quotes to search for strings of words forinstance,  and there a bunch of special operators to help you manipulate dates,  sources of information and 'to-do' checkboxes.  Personally I rely on titles rather than tags,  and use the "intitle:<term>" search to look for the hits I need,  rather than trigger on the content of all the OCR'd cuttings and pictures I've accumulated over the years...

Using Evernote's advanced search syntax - https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23245321

However you need to know that there's a LOT of technology behind the scenes.  Have a look at Evernote's search grammar for the full details."

My apologies to Gazumped for just copying his post - I don't know how to quote a post into another post not specifically related to its original source!!

Is there any other post discussing advanced search? I was looking for one before posting my question. This was like the closest.

The question is: How do I search with strings that NOT to be searched.

e.g.

apple -ios

should search all notes with apple but not ios.

8 minutes ago, Sanjay65 said:

Functionality proposed by @JDEvolutionist is not clear. Can you give a few examples, please? I think what you say is already there.

Hi Sanjay65 to a degree some of the functionality is there but I think it could be enhanced. For example you can use the 'intitle:' operator to limit a seach to the contents of the note title only but you can't select this operator from the current search options facility in the search field. What I am after is the option to select one of the given operators without having to specify it in the search input field i.e. if you are looking for the occurrence of 'abcde' in the title of a note you currently have to type in 'intitle:abcde' in the search box. What I would like would be to type in 'abcde' and then have an option box allowing me to specify the operator I want to use. Hope that clarifies what I'm talking about, I don't think the current version of the app gives that functionality.

Incidentally the '-tag:' operator goes some way towards your desire to be able to search for things not including a specific string but is for use with tags only. 

3 hours ago, Sanjay65 said:

Is there any other post discussing advanced search? I was looking for one before posting my question. This was like the closest.

e.g.

apple -ios

Have a look at this, not sure if it goes all the way but the use of '-' prior to a search goes some way towards your goals i.e. think you can search for e.g. 'intitle:"Donald Trump" -Pence'. Assuming you had two notes one with 'Donald Trump' in the title and the other with 'Donald Trump and Pence' in the title - just going to try it!!

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php#Search_Terms

3 hours ago, Sanjay65 said:

e.g.

apple -ios

Just tried it - it works!! i.e. in your case typing apple -ios should do 'just what it says on the tin'

Archived