(Archived) Feature Request: Alarms, Reminders

I'm sure this is addressed someplace but I couldn't find anything...

Is there anyway to put reminders or alarms on individual notes? If not are there plans to do so? This would be a great feature!

RBSplat

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." ~Will Rogers

• 1 year later...

I have been looking around for an Android app which can provide reminders based on audio inputs, and suddendly realized Evernote already had the audio input side of the equation, all I need now is a reminder function. A combination of RTM and Evernote for example, or something simpler..

Are there any plans for such a feature?

Mvh

I think Note Everything has a reminder capability along with audio notes.

Indirectly that is.. you use the send to gCalendar so its in ur calendar ! Pretty neat - I didnt recall that !

Actually, I see that the developer has also added a connection to gDocs - if he had that when I 1st was looking - I wouldnt have used EN !!

Thanks for the tips.. I have RTM and Evernote and was really looking to make either or both of those easier to combine, using voice notes.

Guess I need to be patient until more people have a similar need.

Until then I'll continue using my old Nokia E61 which has quick to set up alarm notifications that certainly wake me up ;)

• 2 months later...

I love evernote! I do remember ton of stuff just by using it in any way possible.

But I find it hard to remember stuff specially if it in the next hour or the next minute

simply because evernote has no reminder feature.

I do think it is a reasonable feature since all of the user might have an iphone or ipad

that has link to the alerts.. and I bet I'm not the only one who wants this.

pretty please?

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I emailed your support and asked that you include popup, e-mail, and/or SMS message reminders: Like birth-dates and anniversaries. You could get around SMS costs by having the user select what carrier they're on then using that carriers email-to-sms email addresses.

Another feature I'd like to see is individual Notebook e-mail addresses so that Notebook A would have one email address and Notebook B would have another and would automatically import to the notebook based on what e-mail address I send it to.

These two features would be easy to implement and greatly expand the usefulness of Evernote.

- Paid Evernote User

These two features would be easy to implement and greatly expand the usefulness of Evernote.

Easy to implement? How so?

~Jeff

It wouldn't be hard to the developers to implement a popup/email date reminder system.

@BurgersnFries - Yes Evernote is a To-Do application, as it's advertised that it can make lists, if you don't call that a To-Do feature then defect from North Korea and "get with it".

@BurgersnFries - Yes Evernote is a To-Do application, as it's advertised that it can make lists,

No, it's not a to do application. You can make lists in Word & Excel or even Notepad. But that doesn't mean they are to do applications.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=16130#p64175

if you don't call that a To-Do feature then defect from North Korea and "get with it".

'Scuse me?

But you have to admit, that EN is often used and even advertised as a GTD application. EN could benefit a lot from some basic todo features like the reminder feature. Nobody is saying, that EN should turn in a full blown todo app.

I know what Evernotes stand is and i hope they do a little more, than just adding a few more fields to their database to save the due dates. I want Evernote to inform me, if a due date is near. It would also be ok, if Evernote would write an external notifier program like the clipper, that would handle the notifying functionality. That way Evernote would stay clean and running the notifier program would be optional.

What i don't want is software from dozens of different developers. If i install a new version of Evernote i want to be sure, that the new version of the clipper, the due date notifier and whatever other program might come in the future are tested and are compatible with each other. I'd like to have everything from one single manufacturer.

• Level 5*
I know what Evernotes stand is and i hope they do a little more, than just adding a few more fields to their database to save the due dates.

I think that that's one thing that makes it not so easy for Evernote to add this functionality, the need to add fields to their database. It's gotta be done in sync with all their other platforms. In isolation, sure, it would be pretty easy, but it's not isolated.

~Jeff

I too would love more than one Evernote email address... even if they limited us to two or three!

I have two scan to email printers (one at home and one at work).

If the work one could send to my work journal, and the home scanner could emal to my Home journal that would be awesome!!!

I know you can add a line in the subject like @journal1 but you cant really do this on scan to email printers!

Thanks

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

There is no planned due date that has been release publicly. Search the forum for "due date" or "subject date"; there's plenty of discussion thereon...

And, since EN's focus is not to be a to do/task list manager, there are no plans for adding a "completion" date. As Jeff mentioned, they've stated they will be adding a due date. No ETA on that. But when it's rolled out, you could use that as a completion date, if you wish.

• Level 5
One of the big things missing from Evernote if the ability to assign a completion date to an item that drives a reminder. When is this feature planned for release?

Until the Due Date column is released, you could use the "to-do" checkbox (Ctrl + Shft + C).

To see the items, click on >Attributes >Contains >Unfinished to-do items

When I complete a task, I fill in the checkbox and date/time stamp the completion with the Windows short cut [Ctrl + ; ]

• 3 weeks later...
One of the big things missing from Evernote if the ability to assign a completion date to an item that drives a reminder. When is this feature planned for release?

Fully agree. A simple way to add "as another note" a reminder, evernote helps to "remember" so I need a reminder!. A note that says something like "pay rent, remind me on date..." this can send me an email automatically, if I am using a computer at that time it can "ring" me, if I am using an iPhone it can send me a message... come on! A calendar entry for reminder would be appreciated.

Pleasepleaseplease!!!

• Level 5
come on! A calendar entry for reminder would be appreciated.

A calendar entry for reminders is not in the cards for Evernote.

The closest you can expect is the Due Date column which has been confirmed by both the Evernote CEO and CTO.

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=20798&p=110899&hilit=Libin+Twitter#p110899

• Level 5*

What might be interesting would be when the Due Date does arrive if a 3rd part developer then builds an app that 'talks' to the Reminder functionality that is being built into iOS5 and Lion........

• 2 months later...

Hello,

what I really miss as feature are location based reminders with wifi/3G/GPS location recognition.

Goal is that you get a certain notes pop up when you reach a specific location in a definable radius.

I think it is kinda ridiculous that this feature is not already availabe =)

In my opinion this is one of the killer features these days.

Many types of notes are useless when they are just "dead notes". Also time based notes are most times not really useful.

The key is that the necessary information pops up when you are at the right place!

This can be easily extended with features like way prediction.

Please think about it =)

This would be the feature that would make me buy Evernote Premium!

Greetings

Hyper

• Level 5*

I doubt that this would be a "killer" feature for most people, though useful for some. As it is, Evernote doesn't really have notifications of any kind, as far as I know, though maybe the mobile apps do. I'm thinking of Due Date reminders that so many seem to be dying for...

I had a program (back before we started calling them Apps) on my old Nokia NGage that could set profiles, sound alarms, send texts, dial numbers, run other programs and quite a few other actions whenever you entered or left specific geographical locales defined either by GPS (either onboard or via bluetooth) or network cell tower.

I had it set to automatically switch the phone to Silent when I entered a cinema. Switch the phone to "Work" mode when I was in the office (reduced ringer volume and set it to a "professional" sounding ringtone) and then switch it back to General when I left.

It was really a nifty piece of software with a heck of a lot of rules and conditions that you could use to set up specific actions depending on location and/or time. This was back in 2003 so its hardly a new idea.

I'm sure there are apps available for most major mobile OSs that do similar functions although I doubt there are any that would integrate with Evernote in any meaningful way.

I'm sure there are apps available for most major mobile OSs that do similar functions although I doubt there are any that would integrate with Evernote in any meaningful way.

For Android, I know of Tasker and Locale. However, nothing like that would be possible on iOS as Apple doesn't allow 3rd party apps that kind of access to system functions.

Doesn't Remember The Milk have this kind of functionality?

And I agree, this is not really a "killer feature" - I use Evernote to store notes and a reminder app (like RTM) to store reminders...

I doubt that this would be a "killer" feature for most people, though useful for some. As it is, Evernote doesn't really have notifications of any kind, as far as I know, though maybe the mobile apps do. I'm thinking of Due Date reminders that so many seem to be dying for...

thanks................

Hi there,

i am happy with Evernote - That´s it !

But i miss one important option: A good Memory / Reminder Option - like as a calender / diary !

So i can set ( for example ) a date / an appointment with Evernote !

I hope, you understand what i mean !

Greez and best Regards :)

• Level 5*

Yes, it's understood. Please search the forum for "reminder", "due date", "notification", etc. There's plenty of prior discussion on the topic; bottom line is that Evernote doesn't really seem interested in delivering that functionality at this time. That could always change, though.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Why can I see JB being projected into the sky batman style?

The DueDate-Man is getting tired of waiting. It might be time for the Tony Stark and the Avengers to jump in.

Apr 5, 2010 - Phil Libin: "All notes will get a "due date" field in the
next
couple of versions."

Apr 9, 2010 - Dave Engberg: "We plan to add the ability to specify a due date for a note, to sort the note list by due dates, and to be able to search for notes within a range of due dates."

Sep 7, 2010 - Dave Engberg: "We are adding support for a 'Due Date' field on each note, which you could set to an appropriate date."

Jan 27, 2011 - Dave Engberg: "We're planning to replace the name of the "subject date" field (which was confusing for most new users) with "due date" instead."

Feb 15, 2011 - Phil Libin: Due Dates are
"Definitely coming soon"
via Twitter

Sep 29, 2011 - Phil Dean: Thanks for the reminder [Due Date]. I have made a note to bring this up as a gentle reminder to the team on Monday. No promises mind you

Nov 15, 2011 - Phil Constantinou: I promise good stuff is happening with Due dates and to dos. It has been too long but hopefully it'll be worth it.

(sigh)

post-53124-0-51394500-1322754523_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Is there no native way we can set reminders to our notes, both on the mobile and desktop versions of Evernote? This seems like such a basic function that should have been included with this a long time ago. The "Alarms" version which you have to pay for is not an option.

Thanks!

This has been discussed a lot. Evernote's stance is they are not a task/project manager. No plans for adding reminders. However, there is supposed to eventually be a due date. Please search the board if you want more info, since it's been discussed already. And please do not double/cross post.

I wish evernote had a notification system that ties into a note, in order to remind you to do things at certain times (by phone/android notification or by text message perhaps). I think calendars are overkill for this. For example, "pick up landry after work" isn't suitable for a calendar event, but would fit in nicely with evernote's mobile capabilities.

• Level 5*

Please. Search the forums for "reminder". Plenty of discussion on the topic. It's not Evernote's primary focus now, might be added later. Reminders are perfect for calendars; I use Google Calendar for this, works well enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

In the Evernote Blog just published Send Email Reminders About Shared Notebooks , it states:

Sharing notebooks is a great way to work together with your friends, colleagues and classmates. We’ve added a reminder email feature that addresses two needs. First, it allows you to easily alert people to changes in your notebook.

The blog provided instructions on how to send a general reminder, but not how to setup auto-reminders that are sent when changes are made.

I'm running EN Mac 3.0.5, and I don't see any way to do this.

Someone also posted the same question in the Blog comments.

Can someone please provide detailed instructions?

Thanks.

• Level 5

Thanks for posting the link. The reminder email is a nice feature. I share the Family address book with my extended family and now I can ask them to check it for accuracy each January 1st.

I did not see any mention of an automatic reminder in the blog, so I am assuming it is not available.

• Level 5*

JB, I suppose you are right! The way I interpreted the blog was that it would automatically send a reminder whenever you made a change to a shared NB.

If it doesn't do this, then, to me, it is of limited value. I can just as easily send a email reminder manually from Outlook. In fact, it takes fewer clicks to send from Outlook. Plus Outlook records the email in my Sent Msg folder.

Oh well. I was very excited about this new feature for a brief moment.

I have tried to use evernote (and I searched the forum but couldnt find anything) but there is no way to set a reminder? If I have all these "note" Ill never remember to look at any of them at the specific times. Ill look at my notes and go, oh man I completely forgot about that, oh well, too late. I have been using GTasks but obviously that is no where what evernote is, but reminders, seems so simple and I cant live without it. Anyone have an thoughts?

• Level 5*

...er, to expand on that last comment a little - Evernote doesn't claim anywhere that it's a replacement for "to-do" or "calendar" -style apps. If you want to remember something, Evernote's your app; if you want to be reminded, save a shortcut to a note in your external app-of-choice, or subscribe to one of the applications that sets out to add reminder functionality to EN.

There's one called TuskTools forinstance that can pull dates out of notes and show them in calendar format. A search around the forum should find you some other suggestions. If you're into mind mapping, Mind on Track will deal with project planning and link to EN for more information. (Google either, or the general subject for more info.)

There's been a "bit" of chatter about this general topic in the Forum (!) and the fact that Evernote has Created and Updated Dates, but no Due Date (did I get in the first New Year's mention of Due Dates? :( ) but Ever (we don't give ETAs) note doesn't seem to have a due date it wants to share for Due Dates.

Meantime however some of us change the Created Date to a future time and sort the note list by created date, which will give you a list of notes in chrono order that you can use to plan for a future event. There are no alarms or other bells and whistles however. Evernote will probably welcome developers using their API to build something fancier, but meantime they're stubbornly - and IMO correctly - sticking to their "remembering stuff" guns.

Thanks for the reply, but its kinda like a play on the Seinfeld episode, it can MAKE the note, it just cant REMEMBER you have the note (the rental car episode if you watched). Id rather not have to check my evernote list/program several times a day thinking, was there something I noted earlier? yesterday? I found notes from weeks prior that I wish I would have remembered. Thanks anyway...guess ill use GTasks (as basic as it is) and wait for "due dates"

it can MAKE the note, it just cant REMEMBER you have the note

It REMEMBERS you have the note just fine. Reminders are a whole other ball of wax & EN has chosen to remain focused on collecting/organizing/retrieving information & having that information available across ~14 platforms. As has been mentioned before, there are many, good to do/task list managers already out there.

• Level 5

Ever (we don't give ETAs) note doesn't seem to have a due date it wants to share for Due Dates.

Heh heh. That's a good one! Over the past 3 years, Evernote has toned down their Due Date statements dramatically. Now, they won't even use the non-descript term "soon" anymore.

I also modify the Created Date to get around the reminder / appointment / task restriction. (sort of jailbraking Evernote)

The problem this presents is there is no easy way to find today's tasks because they are listed a few screens down after all the future appointments and reminders.

My solution is to use the Snippet view with a special "Stuff in the Future" note (with an easily spotted photo).

This special note separates past notes from future notes. Just before shutting down my computer at night, I change the note's Created date to tomorrow. The note link is in the Favorites Bar, so with one click, I can re-center all my notes with new ones above and old ones below.

post-53124-0-46547400-1325437146_thumb.p

it can MAKE the note, it just cant REMEMBER you have the note

It REMEMBERS you have the note just fine. Reminders are a whole other ball of wax & EN has chosen to remain focused on collecting/organizing/retrieving information & having that information available across ~14 platforms. As has been mentioned before, there are many, good to do/task list managers already out there.

True, "IT" remembers it just fine, but "I" dont remember its in there, thats the issue. Reminders arent that complicated, other more less complex programs do it. Its ok, for ME, the more complicated evernote is actually makes it less functional (I like something I can quickly add ideas, thoughts and reminders). Great community though you all have here.

Ever (we don't give ETAs) note doesn't seem to have a due date it wants to share for Due Dates.

Heh heh. That's a good one! Over the past 3 years, Evernote has toned down their Due Date statements dramatically. Now, they won't even use the non-descript term "soon" anymore.

I also modify the Created Date to get around the reminder / appointment / task restriction. (sort of jailbraking Evernote)

The problem this presents is there is no easy way to find today's tasks because they are listed a few screens down after all the future appointments and reminders.

My solution is to use the Snippet view with a special "Stuff in the Future" note (with an easily spotted photo).

This special note separates past notes from future notes. Just before shutting down my computer at night, I change the note's Created date to tomorrow. The note link is in the Favorites Bar, so with one click, I can re-center all my notes with new ones above and old ones below.

Thanks, but seems way to complicated for a simple issue, thanks though

Reminders arent that complicated, other more less complex programs do it.

The issue is not the complexity. It's a conscious choice by Evernote. Their company, their choice. (shrug)

Oh I agree, If Mcdonalds doesnt want to sell nuggets anymore, thats their prerogative. Ill complain, but in the end, Ill just go eat at wendys.

• Level 5*

Eating at Wendys is of course your prerogative. You'll have to admit, though, that even without reminders, Evernote has done pretty well. Its selling points are obviously a different set of features.

However, for reminders, there are options with respect to Evernote: you should probably check out TuskTools. You can find out more about it here: http://www.moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html. There's also a longish forum thread on TuskTools that's here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/19556-calendaring-appointments-and-reminders-for-evernote/. Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion.

Eating at Wendys is of course your prerogative. You'll have to admit, though, that even without reminders, Evernote has done pretty well. Its selling points are obviously a different set of features.

However, for reminders, there are options with respect to Evernote: you should probably check out TuskTools. You can find out more about it here: http://www.moreprodu...m/evernote.html. There's also a longish forum thread on TuskTools that's here: http://discussion.ev...s-for-evernote/. Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion.

Dont get me wrong, evernote is a great app. But for me, if I dont have some way of remembering I made a note, its all for not.

Looks like a great program, but I only use these apps on my android device. thanks though

• Level 5*

Android user here - I've been trying various options for mobile integration; best I've found so far is called SnapCal which interacts with Evernote, Twitter, Google Calendar, Facebook and Android Calendar. No connection and no recommendations, but it works..

• Level 5

If you are referring to an audible alarm, there is nothing in Evernote.

If you are referring to a visual reminder, there are some internal solutions using Evernote only, but they tend to be difficult to implement.

Here is an interesting link with some examples of GTD:

And some additional links:

Five Links

Discussion

#1 - Evernote and GTD

#2 - Advanced Topics

#3 - More Advanced Topics

#4 - Tying it all together

You could check out the third-party application Tusk Tools: http://www.moreprodu...m/evernote.html

TuskTools is Windows only & this is the Mac section. :)

Do you have any suggestions on how to do?

Well, since EN doesn't have alarms & AFAIK, there is no Mac option, I'd suggest you take a look at true to do/task manager apps like Toodledo, RTM, etc.

...er, to expand on that last comment a little - Evernote doesn't claim anywhere that it's a replacement for "to-do" or "calendar" -style apps. If you want to remember something, Evernote's your app; if you want to be reminded, save a shortcut to a note in your external app-of-choice, or subscribe to one of the applications that sets out to add reminder functionality to EN.

Very nice suggestion as this same point has been in my mind for some time, used to copy and paste over to GTask (via Laptop) those items needing reminders, never thought of shortcut (URL) - thanks

Hello my fellow Evernote users.

I am a newbie and before asking stupid questions of the regular forum users, I always endeavour to do a search to try to answer my questions however couldn't find a satisfactory answer.

I know Evernote is not a reminder service as per the terse comments directed at people who have asked this question. But there only seems to be a few programs that people use as a reminder service which are over complicated or just don't work properly aka followupthen.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the next step from using an information bucket like Evernote comes refinement and then action items. e.g. you have taken a photograph of a bill due in two weeks, so you want to be reminded of that - now what?

So what do people use? appigo todo, toodledo, RTM, google calendars etc.....

Any suggestions for a simple, effective reminder with Evernote would be greatly appreciated!

Your solution is here:

http://www.moreproductivenow.com/

Tusk Tools Calendar imports Evernote data, and once you use certain keywords you will get reminders. In TTC or, if you wish so, via Google Calendar in the whole big software world, even in Outlook 2010, if you provide the necessary connection.

I do not really need reminders, but it works.

Plus: With TTC you have a variation of the old, fine timeline view.

Good luck, EvB.

Your solution is here:

Tusk Tools Calendar imports Evernote data, and once you use certain keywords you will get reminders. In TTC or, if you wish so, via Google Calendar in the whole big software world, even in Outlook 2010, if you provide the necessary connection.

Good luck, EvB.

Tusk tools is Windows only. This is the Mac section.

Your solution is here:

Good luck, EvB.

Tusk tools is Windows only. This is the Mac section.

Uuups - did not notice that, sorry!! EvB.

Thanks for the reply.

So I am guessing you recommend the app 'due' - hows that going for you?

No, I have been using Toodledo for several years. I'm not Mac.

I use Toodledo with appigo todo its good its just there is allot of inputting. If your not a mac you're missing out :)

I agree that evernote should have due date functionality across all platforms from Android to Windows, even if it is rudimentary.

For some notes a due date can be a more important trait or characteristic than it's creation or edited date and evernote already includes these so why note due dates?

• Level 5*

Hi,

I usually work with "to do" lists in Evernote.

Is there any way to put the alarm on the notes?

Best regards

L G

You could use either an Outlook Calendar item or Mac iCal.

Create a calendar item, set the reminder date/time, and paste the Evernote Note link into the Calendar item body.

Depending on your setup, the calendar items can also sync to your iPhone/iPad.

If using Outlook with Exchange Server, then it can also sync with other smartphones and PCs.

• 3 weeks later...

As far as I know there is no way to do that with EN.

It would be a great feature, if there were a way to put an reminder to a note. For example: Send email to my email-Account at a specific date/time or put a reminder to outlook/google etc.

To the creators of Evernote: please put this on your [Feature Request]-List ;-))

Thanks!

Olli

• 2 weeks later...

I needed reminders/due dates as well. Springpad is a good option for some, including me. I have tested it out for a few months with good results. My first preference would have been to continue using Evernote. Springpad allows you to embed reminders/due dates at the note level and gives you a view into all of your current alerts that need attention.

This must be a religious issue with Evernote. Someone, like a Springpad, will get market share from Evernote just because of this. Companies fail when their vision tramples mass client requests. It didn't have to be this way. Evernote was my favorite app at one point. I feel better now. :)

Here's a fairly constructive discussion on the subject:

Due dates, aka reminders, aka alarms, etc, in general, are an oft-requested feature for Evernote. It's not presently in our core functionality, but there are workarounds available.

Archived