Format painter

cz1992

Idea

45 replies to this idea

+1

I agree, please add this feature. It's so frustrating and time-consuming to have to format each section separately. Also, how do you vote here, I'm clicking the up arrow over 11 and it won't increase the vote count?

• Like 2

I agree.

A quick Google seems to indicate that people have been asking the same question for 9 years......I wouldn't be without Evernote and I'm happy to pay for the Premium account, but this missing feature and the fact its been requested for so long seems poor. What development are they actually spending all our premium subscriptions on? :)  

• Like 4

Dear Evernote team,

Focus on what customer wants. Not what you think is important. A similar topic is up since 2010.

If you are not going to implement a format painter then make your product right. Same font and textsize paragraphs sometimes doesn't match and most of the time format freaks out without reason.

Please, Fix it.

BR,

A paying user.

• Like 1

A format painter would be great.  FYI, in the mean time, don't forget that you can paste text only from your clipboard content with keyboard shortcut.  

For Mac it's  Command-Shift-V

It appears to use the text format at the note location where the text is pasted, as I'm trying to demonstrate below.

Here's 14 point Comic Sans Bold Italics

And here's the paste of the above line: For Mac it's Command-Shift-V

• Like 1

Agree entirely - for $90 NZD per annum for Premium, I'm very disappointed with the lack of formatting options - I often have to cut and paste into Word to edit/format and then paste back into Evernote.....

On 7/30/2017 at 3:38 PM, Potcha said:

I am quite surprised that this has yet to be implemented. I was certain I had been overlooking where to find this option when I googled it. Is there anyone here who can help me understand what the difficulties are in adding this? 

I'm guessing it's because Evernote is effectively supporting already horrendously complex HTML.  When I merge clips from multiple different websites into a single note, each with their own complex multi-level style sheets, I'm just staggered that it can make any sense of it.  So what looks easy on screen hides massive complexity under the covers.

But that doesn't mean to say I don't need it - I resort to the 'Simplify formatting' command so often that I've nearly given up trying to format anything in Evernote - that's not good for my notes, or for Evernote's long term survival.  Please do it!

• Like 1
I have posted a new request to "Change text size for selected text in an individual note" to consolidate this and similar requests into one request.
PLEASE copy this request name, search for it in the Evernote Home Page, and vote for it by clicking the up arrow in front of the request. Maybe we can get the Evernote teams attention. 

@Dave.Robinson16@Gmail.com, I really don't know why you're creating brand new entries for requests which have already been documented. If you have more specifications to add, you could just do so as an amendment to this discussion.

Just my (not so) H. O.

@Pixie8, did you VOTE on this idea? (Top of discussion, left side: up or down carat)

I am quite surprised that this has yet to be implemented. I was certain I had been overlooking where to find this option when I googled it. Is there anyone here who can help me understand what the difficulties are in adding this? 

Still no format painter after all these years and so many requests, and the reason why I left Evernote. Why?

1. My notes look a mess or I need to waste time to get paste content into the same format as the test of page.

2. It's an obvious feature gap that peeps @ Evernote should not be dependent on community to inform of need.

** But the main reason why is **

3. It's clear that Evernote doesn't listen to or care about their customers despite what they say. Actions count. Talk is cheap.

Sayonara Evernote.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Hotshoe said:

Still no format painter

You're welcome to add your vote to this request.  The vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion and there are currently 2CAB6768-3202-41A3-B0A8-CC7900F069DD.jpeg.2711db3444b935d3b7c66aa67ce667f0.jpeg user votes.

For my use, a format painter is more of a word processing tool, than a note tool.

If it's something you need, a work-around is the Evertool utility

>>and the reason why I left Evernote

And yet you're still here.  How can we miss you if you won't go away

This is a much needed feature. I use Evernote to take notes on technical articles, and often want to be able to see either specific content when I review the notes in a particular area, or see my own comments on material I have annotated...It would be sooo much faster to be able to use the paintbrush to accomplish this rhather than have to individually format each specific sub-section of a note.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware of this topic and had create one of my own.  I voted this one up as well.  I realize that some mat feel that formatting for notes isn't import but I use formatting as a form of metadata, allowing me to get more information from some verbiage than the words alone.

This is an item that needs to be addressed but is not on a check list

This item has been resolved but is not on a check list

Being able to copy the formatting would be enormously helpful

• Level 5*
On 6/4/2020 at 6:00 PM, Hy3rid said:

Title says it all. FORMAT PAINTER

Merged with an ongoing request 

To indicate your support use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

Hey, it's 2020 and Evernote still has not updated a simple format request. Something which is essential and basic i think. Please please! Add this feature! It makes life so much easier. We are paying customers, perhaps take our request into consideration? After alllll these years?

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, onlytanmoy said:

Hiya, title of this idea basically- please provide 'Format Painter' option in the notebook similar to what we find in MS Word.

Your post has been merged with a similar discussion    
To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5

You can use the text styles for exactly this:

Change the text to whatever you want

With the cursor inside of the changed text, click on the text styles button, to the left of the font name. It usually says "Normal text".

Go on the triangle behind "Normal text", select the second option from the popup menu to use the selections format to change the normal text style.

This will change all note elements formatted with "Normal text" to the new style. The change is local, will only apply to this note. To change it back, use "Reset "Normal text" to standard".

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You can use the text styles for exactly this:

Change the text to whatever you want

With the cursor inside of the changed text, click on the text styles button, to the left of the font name. It usually says "Normal text".

Go on the triangle behind "Normal text", select the second option from the popup menu to use the selections format to change the normal text style.

This will change all note elements formatted with "Normal text" to the new style. The change is local, will only apply to this note. To change it back, use "Reset "Normal text" to standard".

So Evernote has all the code to do a format painter - they just need to create a button called "format painter", and do all those complicated steps for us automatically!  Why don't they?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Probably because they decided to keep the editor simple, optimized for note taking, working the same on all devices. On mobile there is no copy format function, but the text styles work there as on desktop. Just my 5ct …

If you want an official answer, ask support.

This is a no brainer that I have been waiting for for years to become available. Now that Evernote has been sold we will be lucky if it stays around much less gets updated with new needed functionality. Pity!

• Like 1

@Evernote - Hey Product + CS Teams! - This is a feature that would make your tool super efficient and save time on customer's side. I'd love to use Evernote more because I know it would help me give life to my notes through colors and notes aesthetics. I would love to see a product for organizers that could give us more time to focus on our writing goals than on the tenuous lengthy task of changing the font format of headings, titles, and other editor features in an individual manner. 

Thank you & looking forward to seeing how Evernote becomes an essential in any writer's life for whatever purpose it is used for. ;)

On 4/23/2023 at 12:35 AM, Sheyla Palomino-Yncio said:

tenuous lengthy task of changing the font format of headings, titles, and other editor features in an individual manner. 

Have you fully explored the 4 standard styles that EN provides? These can be modified as desired and any changes are transferred to all past and future text using that format. In addition use of the #, ## and ### shortcuts (e.g. type #<space>) make it very easy to switch between styles. 

image.png.6e80f846f71a705f1658a0da43490106.png

Once you have set up the four styles as you want them you can either create a template from which to create future notes or simply save a blank note and copy it.

Since I started using these styles my notes are much more consistent. Obviously. you are limited to 4 styles. but perhaps if your formatting needs are very complicated then you would be better of using a word processor and attaching the file to an EN note.

• Like 1