Still no Contacts support (for email addresses) in iOS app?

When I email a note from my iPhone or iPad, why is there no connection to the native Contacts app, whereby we can simply type recipients' names and have their addresses pop up? Instead, I have to go and manually find each recipient's email address, then type them in manually!

In 2017, this is simply mind-boggling.

Part of the problem is that instead of using iOS built-in extensions for sharing via email, Evernote for iOS uses a proprietary email system, which is greatly lacking in functionality, such as the built-in connection to our Contacts list.

My first screenshot below shows the standard iOS extensions (in a different app), the first of which is the blue email extension. Every iOS app that supports sharing via email (except Evernote) uses that blue icon for sharing via email—and by doing so, we have automatic access to our Contacts.

But instead of using the built-in email extension, Evernote for iOS uses a proprietary email method (2nd screenshot), which is accessed via a white icon that's simply labeled "Mail." That brings up a completely different email window which does NOT provide access to our contacts and which forces us to manually locate and type each recipient's email address!

Why, why, why are you using this antiquated method which makes such a basic feature so difficult for users to employ?

IMG_4524 2.png

IMG_4525 2.png

• Level 5*

Works fine here. The first time you try using the gray email icon, it asks for permission to use contacts. Worked that way in 7.x, and still does in 8.x. You must have either told it no, so you don't have access to contacts when emailing, or there is something else going on with how you have permissions on your iOS device.

Once working correctly, it will help autocomplete the email address as you start typing names.

If you use the default app (never tried, this is how it works in Gmail so assuming the same for mail.app) it will offer to create a public link to share with someone as email apps cannot possibly retain the formatting Evernote supports, so the end user will see your note as a web page properly formatted like your note.

On 1/18/2017 at 6:44 PM, EdH said:

Works fine here. The first time you try using the gray email icon, it asks for permission to use contacts. Worked that way in 7.x, and still does in 8.x. You must have either told it no, so you don't have access to contacts when emailing, or there is something else going on with how you have permissions on your iOS device.

Once working correctly, it will help autocomplete the email address as you start typing names.

If you use the default app (never tried, this is how it works in Gmail so assuming the same for mail.app) it will offer to create a public link to share with someone as email apps cannot possibly retain the formatting Evernote supports, so the end user will see your note as a web page properly formatted like your note.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that it's at least supposed to work as expected. :)

I wouldn't have denied access to my contacts. I've had Evernote on my phone(s) for many years and through many updates. So, I wonder if some code got corrupted at some point. I'll try deleting and reinstalling the app in hopes of forcing it to ask me for Contacts access again.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, soundsgoodtome said:

I wouldn't have denied access to my contacts. I've had Evernote on my phone(s) for many years and through many updates. So, I wonder if some code got corrupted at some point. I'll try deleting and reinstalling the app in hopes of forcing it to ask me for Contacts access again.

You can go into Settings, scroll down to the Evernote app and check the settings.  One of the switches is for Contacts

36 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can go into Settings, scroll down to the Evernote app and check the settings.  One of the switches is for Contacts

Toggle switch will not appear if you have not given EN permission to access your contacts.

On 1/18/2017 at 8:44 PM, EdH said:

I had not given EN permission to access my Contacts or Calendar. I did exactly what @EdH described, and now Mail will autocomplete my email addresses.

Archived