Left For OneNote, Now Back

macfixer

Idea

Howdy, my name is macfixer, and I have a confession: I left Evernote for a while, but then saw how bad it was and wanted to bring my stuff back.

Why is there a Evernote to OneNote converter, but no OneNote to Evernote converter? It seems you're allowing your competitors to eat your lunch but letting people leave but not come back into the fold.

In the meantime, I will be copying and pasting notes one by one back. :rolleyes:

(Yes, I know that OneNote and Apple Notes don't have export functions)

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, macfixer said:

Why is there a Evernote to OneNote converter, but no OneNote to Evernote converter? It seems you're allowing your competitors to eat your lunch but letting people leave but not come back into the fold

Good point.

I'm thinking it might because Evernote has a simple file structure, it's easy to export from it

I'm in the Mac world, and each note has a folder with files; content, attachments, thumbnail ...

OneNote's file structure seems a little more complex

• Level 5*

Because OneNote is a hot mess of text boxes and floating graphics that couldn't be exported into a sensible format. I use EN and ON every day - we are an Office 365 shop so OneNote for business stuff.

I die a little inside every time I need to do a search in OneNote. Lack of tags is absurd, and the annotation features are a joke. SOmetimes I'll annotate in Evernote the copy/paste the image back to OneNote.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

Because OneNote is a hot mess of text boxes and floating graphics that couldn't be exported into a sensible format. I use EN and ON every day - we are an Office 365 shop so OneNote for business stuff.

I die a little inside every time I need to do a search in OneNote. Lack of tags is absurd, and the annotation features are a joke. SOmetimes I'll annotate in Evernote the copy/paste the image back to OneNote.

You can quote me on this:

If you think Evernote is slow, or unresponsive - go ahead and load OneNote up with a few thousand notes and see what happens next.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, macfixer said:

You can quote me on this:

If you think Evernote is slow, or unresponsive - go ahead and load OneNote up with a few thousand notes and see what happens next.

Awesome. :(

We are pretty new to Office 365 (just over a year) so our notes are building. We might have hundreds and hundreds by now, but who knows? OneNote doesn't tell you how many you have.

It is also a hassle that every notebook is a separate file, so if you get a new PC, you have to open a few dozen files across multiple SHarepoint sites, vs just logging in to your account and seeing everything. And you can still forget a few notebooks until you need them, but until you do that, obviously you won't get search results in them.

Just now, EdH said:

Awesome. :(

We are pretty new to Office 365 (just over a year) so our notes are building. We might have hundreds and hundreds by now, but who knows? OneNote doesn't tell you how many you have.

It is also a hassle that every notebook is a separate file, so if you get a new PC, you have to open a few dozen files across multiple SHarepoint sites, vs just logging in to your account and seeing everything. And you can still forget a few notebooks until you need them, but until you do that, obviously you won't get search results in them.

There is a switch in OneNote for Mac that lets you try 'experimental features' — but the opening and closing of the notebooks is positively glacial.

On 1/18/2017 at 7:52 AM, macfixer said:

Howdy, my name is macfixer, and I have a confession: I left Evernote for a while, but then saw how bad it was and wanted to bring my stuff back.

giphy.gif

Good to have you back @macfixer !

Archived