I recently updated to Evernote v8.0, after immediately opening the app on my iPhone and editing a note, the note disappeared.  I can't find the note in Trash and even after searching for it, still can't find any trace of it.  I've even checked my activity log, with no luck.  Anyone have any ideas?

Support was able to help me find my note. Here are the steps they recommended. This requires that you also had the Evernote desktop client and may be Mac specific. I'm not sure if a different purgatory folder exists in the Windows folder structure. 

1. Open Evernote
  2. Click on Evernote in the top left menu bar
  3. Click on 'About Evernote'
  4. Hold down the 'Option' key
  5. Click on the blue link 'Open Database Folder'
  6. Locate the 'Purgatory' folder and double click to open it
  7. Click on 'Date Modified' to sort the most recent changes to the top of the list
  8. Open the first folder, it will be a mix of capital letters and number
  9. Click on the 'content.enml' file and copy it to your desktop
  10. Rename the 'content.enml' file to 'content.html'
  11. Double click on the 'content.html' file to open it in your web browser.
  12. You should now see the content of that one note.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who lost a note. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
13 hours ago, Lost Note - what happened? said:

I lost a note on Evernote. I tried to share it and I think I entered the wrong email address. I have the link to the note but the it says that I don't have access to it (which is funny because I created the note). Can someone help me with this?

Hi.  If you shared a note from your account by email,  the original should still be in your account whether or not the email address was correct.  Can you describe the exact process you went through to share the note?  I assume you're using Evernote for iOS 8.0/x?

While inside the note I selected the share icon. I window opened for me to enter an email address which I did (the email address was my own). I then went to my email inbox to look for the note and it was not there.    So I tried to reshare the note and the email address that automatically populated had a letter wrong in it. So I assumed that I had entered the wrong email address. I went to my settings to correct and update my email address with the correct email. However the settings said it already had the right email address. I then received and automated message from EVERNOTE saying what you see below. My correct email address is meikoandthedish@gmail.com. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Hello Evernote User.

You recently attempted to send an email message from your Evernote account.

Unfortunately, we are unable to deliver the email to your intended recipient(s).

The email was returned to us as undeliverable and no further delivery attempts are possible.

Please verify the email address(es) you used. Some ideas:

• Check for typos
  • Check for extra spaces

Details on the undeliverable email message:

Subject: 
meikoandthedish@gmail.com has requested access to your notebook,

Recipient(s): 
meikaondthedish@gmail.com

Thank you,

- The Evernote Team

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  OK the email wasn't sent,  but none of that means the original note has been lost or moved.  If you open the app on your device can you still see the note?  How about if you sign in to Evernote.com via a browser on a desktop?

• Level 5*

That last message suggests that you're not logged into the desktop application,  and you're using the public link of a note which is 'owned' by another account.  Do you get the same error if you log into the Evernote app and then try to click on that link?

Just to confirm - was this note one that you created originally?  It wasn't a note that someone else created and sent you the link?

Archived