Thoughts on Evernote 8.0

JasonEvernote

Idea

Thank you Evernote for the update. I saw all the marketing regarding this new update, but I must be missing something. The only iOS device I own is a iPad Pro 9.7 and on this version, why would someone want their screen real estate taken up by this left-margin gray bar that only holds five icons. Is it not possible to hide this bar and just drag it out when needed? 

Secondly, the list of notes is now way too large. At least for me, it takes up way too much horizontal room and doesn't leave as much room to view the actual note content. 

I've been a premium user for many years and just understand the reasoning behind a solid bar. I believe I saw a screenshot that at least with the iPhone, this permanent gray bar is at the bottom. 

I'm just wondering what others think about this much-discussed upgrade. 

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I actually like the sidebar, but think it should contain more icons;  Tag Management, Notebook, Sync ...

I opted for the small version of the Note List

• Level 5*

Agree with moving the tab bar to the bottom of the iPad version.  The bottom of the note panel already has a tab bar which is pretty much a duplicate of the add note icon in the side tab.   If the real estate is already lost why not stretch it across the bottom add icons for tags and notebooks to it.  

What happened to Dark Mode? I'm a premium user and this was one of my favourite paid features. And to make matters worse, the App doesn't launch on my iPad (yes, I've seen the other thread so am reinstalling).

Not happy at all and now seriously considering the jump to OneNote, especially given the hike in pricing and the loss of privacy now that staff can view my personal notes.

I was an avid Evernote user, but I am disappointed in the 8.0 update. Some important features are missing:

1. View all notes in a stack. I found this feature helpful, because I organize many of my notes in stacks, and sometimes I just want to browse all notes within a stack, regardless of the exact notebook.
  2. Browse notes quickly by date in list view. Before the update, I could close the current note and view a list of notes. This would allow me to scroll on the right-hand side to go to a specific month. I have hundreds of notes, so scrolling through them without this shortcut is irritating, to say the least.
  3. Quickly add bullet-point lists. Now it takes two taps to add a bullet-point list, once to bring up the list menu, and another to specify the style of list. The bar that has these buttons above the keyboard uses space very inefficiently. There is too much empty space in the middle of this bar. Instead, most of the style/list buttons could be added here for quick access, instead of having to tap twice to access these options. Evernote is suddenly becoming harder to use...

To me, it seems the update changed only the style/layout with no new features--and indeed removed a few features I had found to be indispensable.

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

I actually like the sidebar, but think it should contain more icons;  Tag Management, Notebook, Sync ...

I opted for the small version of the Note List

I have done the same, but it does nothing for the horizontal view.

20 hours ago, csihilling said:

Agree with moving the tab bar to the bottom of the iPad version.  The bottom of the note panel already has a tab bar which is pretty much a duplicate of the add note icon in the side tab.   If the real estate is already lost why not stretch it across the bottom add icons for tags and notebooks to it.  

Totally agree. I just don't understand why the left bar can't pop-out when pulled from the left or moved to the bottom. I very much dislike much of 8.0. 

1 hour ago, Zach127 said:

I was an avid Evernote user, but I am disappointed in the 8.0 update. Some important features are missing:

1. View all notes in a stack. I found this feature helpful, because I organize many of my notes in stacks, and sometimes I just want to browse all notes within a stack, regardless of the exact notebook.
  2. Browse notes quickly by date in list view. Before the update, I could close the current note and view a list of notes. This would allow me to scroll on the right-hand side to go to a specific month. I have hundreds of notes, so scrolling through them without this shortcut is irritating, to say the least.
  3. Quickly add bullet-point lists. Now it takes two taps to add a bullet-point list, once to bring up the list menu, and another to specify the style of list. The bar that has these buttons above the keyboard uses space very inefficiently. There is too much empty space in the middle of this bar. Instead, most of the style/list buttons could be added here for quick access, instead of having to tap twice to access these options. Evernote is suddenly becoming harder to use...

To me, it seems the update changed only the style/layout with no new features--and indeed removed a few features I had found to be indispensable.

I very much agree with what you stated. After the "privacy" issue a few weeks ago, I was intent on moving to OneNote since we are Office 365 users and very much Microsoft Office centered in our office, but wanted to give this another shot. I think the interface is a bit cleaner and could be argued that it is more "2017," but I very much dislike the addition of the left bar and how it is structured. 

iPhone App Feedback: 

Please, please, please do not force me to only view "All Notes" by default, with the only other option being one notebook at a time. Being able to view notebooks and folders is much much easier  

The "Notes" button at the bottom is very much unnecessary, considering that all your notes are shown by default. 

Please provide an option to remove "Recent Notebooks" from all places it's shown in the app. Or just remove it completely. 

I understand the need to update the interface and keep the look modernized, but this new interface is awful. 

50 minutes ago, Tyler R said:

iPhone App Feedback: 

Please, please, please do not force me to only view "All Notes" by default, with the only other option being one notebook at a time. Being able to view notebooks and folders is much much easier  

The "Notes" button at the bottom is very much unnecessary, considering that all your notes are shown by default. 

Please provide an option to remove "Recent Notebooks" from all places it's shown in the app. Or just remove it completely. 

I understand the need to update the interface and keep the look modernized, but this new interface is awful. 

I really scratch my head at many of the "design" choices with this update, the Notes button being one of them. I'm already (forced) to be looking at my notes with the removal of the main menu. Touching the Notes button just brings me to the top of the notes list, but so does tapping the top of the screen. This is moronic and a complete waste.

I'm just so pissed with this update after advocating for Evernote for so long.  The price hike didn't cause me to even flinch, but there is no excuse for this complete and seemingly random redesign, not to mention the removal of features that people actually used. I went from loving Evernote since 2009 to despising it overnight with this update. 

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, Dusan said:

So many + reviews, i guess i am the only one who does not like new version at all...

It doesn't have to be all bad

Can you except there are good points, along with the bad points.

Archived