Evernote v8.0 for iOS Released

cifip

Idea

• Level 5

Hi all,

We released Evernote for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch v8.0 earlier today.

Evernote 8.0 is a complete redesign emphasizing speed and simplicity. Capture your thoughts with ease, and find what you're looking for faster than ever. Bring beauty and clarity to your notes with an improved editing experience. In addition, this new app will lay the foundation for us to more easily build the features you've been requesting. We’re really excited, and we hope you are too.

What's New in Evernote 8.0:

• Quickly navigate between main sections of the app with the tab bar
    • Sections: Notes, Search, Note Creation (+), Shortcuts, and Account
    • Work Chat is now found inside the Account tab
    • Tag management has been moved into Account tab > Settings > Manage Tags
      • This is a simplified list, where you can delete tags or add a tag to Shortcuts

• Find your content more easily with the new note list
    • Browse notes and identify your images quickly with newly designed note previews
    • Switch between small, medium (default), or large previews by tapping Note List Options (in the overflow ‘…’ menu)
      • Medium and Large previews will show up to three thumbnails in the note list
      • You can still control sort order and whether or not to view images or snippet text
    • Filter a note list by pulling down slightly to expose a search box, tag filter, and reminder filter
    • Filter by tags: Tap the tag icon to select and apply tag filters
      • After selecting a tag, a filtered list of remaining tags are shown if you wish to refine further
    • Filter by reminders: Tap the reminder icon to view just your reminder notes
    • Manually sync: Pull down on the note list

• Switch between notebooks quickly
    • The notebook list is now opened from the top of the note list
    • When you first launch Evernote 8.0, you'll see All Notes at the top with a down arrow - tap that to open the notebook list including All Notes and Reminders collections
    • Tap the name of the notebook at the top of the screen to get to your notebook list
    • Swipe left on a notebook or stack to expose the settings button: use this to open notebook or stack settings to rename, add to stack, add to shortcuts, or change sharing permissions

• Create new notes with a multi-function + button
    • Tap the (+) button (aka new note skittle) to get right into the note editor
    • Long-press on the (+) button and drag to quickly create Audio, Photo, or Reminder notes
    • Or long-press on the (+) button and release to view these note creation options then tap the one you want
    • Swipe the keyboard down to save your note and enter View mode
    • Tapping Done will save and sync your note
      • If you leave your note title and note body empty, the note will be automatically removed

• Beautify your notes with a better formatting and styling options
    • On top of the keyboard, you'll see the new formatting navigation bar
      • ABC is the main keyboard
      • Next is the primary formatting button - this opens the formatting menu in the keyboard area
        • Change font style to bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, or highlight
        • Change text size to small, medium, or large
        • Change text color! (Swipe left for shades of gray)
      • The third button is for list and paragraph settings
      • The camera button launches our powerful document camera
      • The square + button will open an action sheet for other options of adding audio, sketch, files, or photos

• 2 ways to search
    • Search within a notebook by tapping in the search field at the top of the note list
    • Search your entire account from the search tab
      • See suggestions for notes, notebooks, and tags before running your search
      • Recent searches and saved searches are also on the Search tab

• Easy access to shortcuts
    • Access your shortcuts straight from the tab bar
    • Shortcuts area also shows your most recently viewed notes

• Evernote Business users - now switch between business and personal accounts
    • Evernote Business users can switch between personal and business accounts in two ways:
      • From the Account tab; just tap your name and select the account you want to view
      • Alternatively, you can long-press on the Account tab to launch the quick account switcher
    • Your notes, saved and recent searches, recent notes and shortcuts, and tags are now all separated by account within the app
    • To move a note between your personal or business accounts, within a note, tap on the notebook name and scroll to the bottom, and then tap "Move to another account" to open your business or personal notebook list.

What's coming soon:

• Context and related notes
  • 3D Touch Peek and Pop for note lists
  • Note list scrubber - ability to quickly move through long note lists
  • Enhanced (native) business card notes
  • View tags in note list - formerly on iPad only - we plan to bring the option to iPhone and iPad
  • Reminders enhancements

What's not returning:

• Home screen and home screen sections - primary navigation has been moved to the tab bar
  • Presentation mode - this will still be available on desktop clients
  • Suggested note titles
  • Note "draft" mode
    • In v7, when you created a note you needed to save it. If you tapped cancel, you'd have the option to delete or save.
    • In v8, when you create a note, you tap done to save the note. If you decided you didn't want the note, you can delete it. This should cut down in inadvertent data loss.
Read more about the Evernote 8 launch on our blog: Evernote 8.0: Organization Made Simple.

You can download the Evernote for iOS app from the App Store.

As always, please let us know what you think.

Cheers!

January 18 Update

Hi all,

Today we released v8.0.1 to address the following issues:

• Inserting multiple images into a new note with no other content drops the images from the note
    • 8.0.1 stops this behavior and repairs notes that may have encountered this issue
  • From a note list, swiping on a note and tapping the delete button resulted in the note getting expunged instead of going to the Trash
    • 8.0.1 now sends the note to the Trash

We are currently focused on fixing the following issues to be part of 8.0.2:

• From a note list, swiping on an empty note that was just created before the note is automatically removed resulted in the following note being deleted
    • Inadvertently deleted notes should be found in the Trash, but we are also fixing the initial bug
  • Top crasher
    • There is an issue with the thumbnail generation in the note list that may result in crash on launch, crash while scrolling note list, or crash on search.
    • The following have worked for users with various degrees of success: force quit and relaunch app (multiple times if necessary), rebooting device, deleting and reinstalling the app.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Gabriel L. said:

A note on Context - it seems to come back once in a while. I haven't figured it out...
With respect to your  Metadata and font sizes request, I disagree with you and I think it would be a step backward. Those are important things to be able to do, I agree, but the role Evernote plays is that of a notetaker app, not a desktop publisher/word processor. And this is what keeps Evernote as streamlined as it is (unlike the MS rival app we all know, a fantastic app but that is just too bloated for the quick use Evernote lends itself to). In fact I'm hoping for a slightly streamlined EN in the future—I feel this update is a step in the right direction. It is indeed a challenging balance to strike.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then. Many of the apps I use on a regular basis (including the browser where I am writing this now) have mastered the art of presenting a simple interface with the ability to select font sizes, styles, colors, etc. Even the plain text editors I use are more advanced in this respect. I am not requesting clutter. I'm requesting power and control over my data. All of these things can be done in an elegant manner. I recommend the developers keep a few of Edward Tufte's books on hand for inspiration. 

The metadata request doesn't seem terribly burdensome or bloated. Again, other apps manage to do it. And, the inability to edit the metadata makes it impossible to do very simple things such as change the created date, change the author, or view the note history. All of these can be extremely useful, especially when you experience data loss and may not have access to your computer for days or weeks. 

I'll take streamlined, too. In fact, as I said, I think they did just fine making the app beautiful. But, having functionality and elegant simplicity are not mutually exclusive. I could list many, many apps (including competitors) who strike a very nice balance (in my opinion). 

But, fair enough. Let's agree to disagree. Let's say they streamline the app further and remove more features they deem unnecessary. OK. I'll support them. Just don't dump the app on users with no heads up. Instead of sending out marketing blurbs devoid of content ahead of a release, maybe let users know you're going to do X, Y, Z for "reasons." That'll give us time to prepare, even if we aren't too happy to be paying for an app that increasingly does less :(

I really like this update on my iPad 12.9 I really liked the UI for MacOS and the new layout reminds me of it a bit. On the phone this update really looks good, way less cluttered and easy to navigate once you get the hang of it.

One possible bug I ran into and maybe it's just me but I noticed when I went to "settings"-"notebooks"-"offline notebooks" my settings had defaulted to "Do not download notes" where as before I had several offline notebooks.

Thank you very much for fast reply.

It's was the 8.0 update that made it crash. Can't remember any other app update that made my iPad to start crash. I didnt do anything. Perhaps I shall not have the settings to automatic update of apps. 

Q: How do I avoid to loose my the content if I uninstall? Is it safe to uninstall and install?

Dont feel good that a update send my iPad into crashing mode.

Aldo

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Aldo_Swe said:

Thank you very much for fast reply.

It's was the 8.0 update that made it crash. Can't remember any other app update that made my iPad to start crash. I didnt do anything. Perhaps I shall not have the settings to automatic update of apps. 

Q: How do I avoid to loose my the content if I uninstall? Is it safe to uninstall and install?

Dont feel good that a update send my iPad into crashing mode.

Aldo

Your notes are all stored on Evernote's servers, so you could lose your ipad, get a new one, install EN, and it all comes back down. So on iOS, nothing should be lost via an uninstall/reinstall. That can be different on a PC/Mac if you have "local notebooks" only, but that is rare and you have to do it on purpose. Not even an option on iOS.

Where did "trash" go? I tried to delete a note by swiping and selecting "trash" and the app lagged and deleted the note I wanted to delete but also deleted the one beneath it.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, CVJ said:

Where did "trash" go? I tried to delete a note by swiping and selecting "trash" and the app lagged and deleted the note I wanted to delete but also deleted the one beneath it.

Go to the notebook selector and scroll to the very bottom. Trash will be the last one listed.

• Level 5*

Overall like it!  Quick thoughts.

1. Compound tag search is great.
  2. New formatting is great and seems to maintain syncing from IOS to PC.
  3. Typing lag seems to be gone from iPad, thanks for that!
  4. Lost some information density, less notes per screen.  Don't know why the propensity in today's world for additional space and flatness.... pretty but it does take longer to get things done.
  5. Will lose some productivity with the home screen gone and the one press access to tags, notebooks, searches,and recent notes.  More presses to get to the same place now.
  6. Loss in 2 should be made up in quicker path back to All Notes.

Issues.

1. Thumbnails on iPhone and iPad are upside down.
  2. Had my iPad horizontal, rotated it to vertical to view a PDF and EN crashed.  Repeated the exercise and it crashed again.  Pages 2 and 3 were showing in the PDF.  Same note works fine on iPhone.
  3. How do you get rid of the Stay up-to-date splash screen.  Maybe a Never option in addition to Not now and OK?
  4. iPad has crashed a couple of times in addition to the PDF.  Sent the reports.
8 minutes ago, EdH said:

Go to the notebook selector and scroll to the very bottom. Trash will be the last one listed.

I checked and it's not there on my iPad or my iPhone, I even tried force closing the app and the last notebook under "Notebooks" is my notebook titled "Receipts"

Just checked my wife's iPad and it's not there also

40 minutes ago, EdH said:

Your notes are all stored on Evernote's servers, so you could lose your ipad, get a new one, install EN, and it all comes back down. So on iOS, nothing should be lost via an uninstall/reinstall. That can be different on a PC/Mac if you have "local notebooks" only, but that is rare and you have to do it on purpose. Not even an option on iOS.

@EdH 

I followed your advice and now EVERYTHING IS GONE!

All notes, all,pictures etc is not to be seen

What to do?

After a quick check I feel uncomfortable. Not becouse of the look. I don't really care  the look so much but the functionality. And it seems that handling reminders are more limited in this version than earlier. For eg. after mark a reminder as Done there is no one click way to make it unclompletted again....

I like a lot of what has been done, the improved tag search is particularly great  

Very disappointed that hierarchical tags are still not available through. Alphabetical sorting doesn't work so well in my system. 

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Aldo_Swe said:

@EdH 

I followed your advice and now EVERYTHING IS GONE!

All notes, all,pictures etc is not to be seen

What to do?

Are you sure you are logging in with the same user ID? Log into the web site to see your notes there. Uninstalling the app WILL NOT DELETE ANYTHING, anymore than uninstalling your email app will delete your emails from an email server.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:51 AM, Socca said:

Sorry to say that ... I've been waiting for a fix to V8 user interface on IOS. Current functions are really not satisfactory to me. How can I switch back to V7 .... it was great! In the mean time I want my money back  for the period EVENOTE has been significantly below expectations.

• Level 5*
On 2017-04-03 at 2:51 AM, Socca said:

How can I switch back to V7

To control the IOS version, I use iTunes on my Mac.

btw  You're posting in the v8.0 discussion.  Current version is 8.1

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, TokoyoRose said:

I was converting all my EN data to Microsoft One Note

I'd be concerned about how to convert out of One Note - they don't seem to have an easy export.  I wouldn't want be locked in an app.

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Is is possible there is something in this version that is causing the prompt to come up for me to sign into my iTunes account when I launch the app

It's a known issue, and they're looking into fixing it

I've just been hitting cancel. 

Is is possible there is something in this version that is causing the prompt to come up for me to sign into my iTunes account when I launch the app? I'm getting this prompt a lot, and it is only happening when I launch Evernote, and I am definitely already logged in (I've not only logged in several times, but my apps update without me having to log in). I feel like it is something with the Evernote app that is causing this to pop up repeatedly for me. Is this possible?

AppleID.png.da01b3179a78b25aa4fb151808bf93e0.png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, arochefor said:

In fact, it's three clicks on iPad: "+", "hide keyboard", and "handwriting". It is not a drastic issue but just less efficient than previous version.

I  agree; That big long empty bar across the bottom, and I have to drop the keyboard to access the drawing icon.

I have a premium account on Evernote and I was very satisfied with the product until this update. On iOS (iPad pro) I found the home page too rigid in the presentation, I preferred the previous one where the choices were more complete. More importantly, it is much longer to see the content of the notes I wrote with my pencil when I pressed on left tab and the format showing my hand writing notes (on the right) is just too small. And for the first time with Evernote, I have lost parts of my notes, apparently not saved along my writings. This is quite annoying. Finally, a feature I liked much was the suggested titles for my notes which were mostly based on my calendar, I do not know why this feature was just removed, maybe just give options for it ? As opposed to what it is claimed, I do not find the top page more convenient, when you are taking hand writing notes you need to press several keys before starting to write down your notes. In summary, if i could return to the previous iOS version, I would have to hesitation to downgrade.

Bring back presentation mode on iOS! I need a way to scroll through my notes on my iPad/iPhone without the chance of getting into edit mode.  I use this feature almost daily in speaking and teaching.  Not cool to take it away.

For three years I never had to speak to Evernote customer service. I have had to speak with them five times in the past two weeks.  Crashes, missing functionality, etc.  This is the third "feature" I have been told is available works on the mac/windows platforms but not on iOS. You are going to lose your market if you drive everything to only being available on desktops/laptops, and taking things away from mobile users.

11 hours ago, Hadley said:

Can anyone explain why Presentation mode has gone from App?

can anyone suggest a plugin, or alternative which will do that function for me? 

Lost without it, it was so good. Unlikely to keep subscription without that functionality which will be a real shame.

Downgrade to the last functional version of Evernote before 8. 

I looked for alternative other than EN, and I found a useful one that integrates Google Keep with Google Drive.

As I'm already paying for 1 TB of Drive, I spent this weekend testing this combo.

It's good, but there is always something missing.
Furthermore you need more passages for what you can accomplish with just one tap on EN.

What I find really good about EN is that I can store text, images and PDFs (and other attachments) in the same note, where with Drive it's all about folders and subfolders.
i.e.: think about a PDF you want to keep the link of. With EN you create a new note where you put the PDF, plus links as text, along with some comments.
You cannot do this with Drive, and Keep is too basic for this.

So I opted to give EN Premium another year, as my annual subscription ends on April.

PS: with the 8.0.2 update it seems I'm able to annotate PDFs again.

Just updated the latest version today, still can't see the improvements for below two issues, which used to work perfectly from the previous v7.

• Reminder Notes sorting by Upcoming and Overdue in each notebook.
  • Attached files from Dropbox in a note always go to the very bottom, which are not supposed to happen in v7, Dropbox files should be attached any places in a note.

Please fix!!!

Had to delete and re-install the app on my iPad for the update, so at least now it opens. Next problem, choosing which two devices to use Evernote on. Problem is that the app identifies my iPad (current device) as an iPhone 6. So I select my current iPhone 6 and iPad, and it says I'll be signed out of my current device. Anyone know of this is an app issue or an issue in my Apple account?

Workaround for inability to select note in search (where selection changes to top or higher note):

1. Tap and drag desired note in the list to top of screen -- high enough so the date but not the border around note disappears.
  2. Tap the note.

Or do in reverse order (in which case, note will be downloaded twice).

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, ryanhanly said:

the item is still listed because of the tag, but in the Trash instead fo the original folder. Is there a way to stop including the Trash folder as part of the tag search in thew iOS version?

This was already posted.  We don't know if search including Trash was intentended or is getting fixed.  
A suggestion was to empty the trash frequently

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, tassiecelt said:

So I guess we are now at Apples pleasure, waiting to approve 8.02 this may or may not fix the disastrous update. Either way, my confidence is evernote has taken a beating. 

I wasn't aware that version 8.0.2 had been completed.  Last I heard, it was still being worked on at Evernote  

Edited: Confirmed, we're now waiting on Apple; 

Edited: I installed 8.0.2 - solved my PDF annotation problem

Users may want to hold off upgrading to version 8 until it is more stable.  

12 minutes ago, Lesicaire said:

I have the same problem here on my iPhone7s+ and my wife as the same on her iPhone6s+. It keeps asking us to enter our iTunes password. And you're right when you wrote that hitting on "cancel" doesn't make any difference.

can this being fixed asap please??

+1 - a nuisance!

4 hours ago, whitakerwritings said:

I downloaded 8.0 and it would not even start up - it just crashed every time. Deleted...re-downloaded...and better. Then 8.0.1 came out. Problems seemed to be solved, but now it asks for my iTunes password EVERY TIME I open Evernote (though not as often if I keep the app constantly open). There doesn't seem to be much difference between entering my password or just hitting cancel (please tell me if I'm mistaken). No matter what, please fix this bug.

I have the same problem here on my iPhone7s+ and my wife as the same on her iPhone6s+. It keeps asking us to enter our iTunes password. And you're right when you wrote that hitting on "cancel" doesn't make any difference.

can this being fixed asap please??

I downloaded 8.0 and it would not even start up - it just crashed every time. Deleted...re-downloaded...and better. Then 8.0.1 came out. Problems seemed to be solved, but now it asks for my iTunes password EVERY TIME I open Evernote (though not as often if I keep the app constantly open). There doesn't seem to be much difference between entering my password or just hitting cancel (please tell me if I'm mistaken). No matter what, please fix this bug.

I installed evernote to my new iphone and the notes under my offline notebooks contain empty or incorrect contents. I think you messed up my notes, evernote. So what to do now? How can I recover my old notes? ;( I am currently looking for OneNote as alternative now until you fix this mess. Im disappointed because I have been loyal to you guys. Please fix this! 

The major issue I have is with the Outline function.  Burying the ability to change levels and indent a screen deep and then on a widely spaced out sparse area and then needing to switch back into ABC mode for each line of an outline is ridiculous.  I have thousands of meeting notes in outline format and this is nearly a deal breaker.  I often use an apple pencil and a handwriting conversion app on an iPad Pro and this has turned smooth outlining into a rewardless distracting minigame.

Please enhance the Edit Bar with More features instead of dumbing it down and hiding features that should be "one-click".  Please. 

After writing last week that I was so frustrated with this recent abrupt and seemingly thoughtless update that I was converting all my EN data to Microsoft One Note I did just that.  The actual conversion took very little time.  Spent the next several days working to wrap my head around One Note's methodologies and learning how to work with my existing data structure within that system.  I must say, I have become very impressed with One Note as a result of this experience.  I used to say the reason I was so loyal to Apple was that all their products simply "worked" and worked with elegant form and function.  Well, I can't go so far as to say that One Note is completely Applelike in terms of form and function, but it is a very feature filled product that appears to have a whole lot more going for it than Evernote does.  I'm moving forward and not looking back.  Like I said in my previous post, I was forced into this act by the rule of unintended consequences.  I wasn't looking to make a switch but the necessity of doing so was pressed upon me by the absolute absurdity of the complete disembodiment of some of the crucial features that had become essential to using EN prior to this last update.  

There is one obvious solution here. Especially for premium members : PUT THE OLD VERSION BACK ON UNTIL THIS 8Th VERSION IS STABLE, FAST, AND OPERATING. 

We are all loosing time at work, study and at home.

Be pragmatic about the work you did and accept to take a step backward...

Thank you in advance

There are som nice and cool stuff to the update! And as a user primarily using evernote on iPhone and iPad mini for capturing simple stuff and recalling notes, I like the simplicity. However, it might be different for users with big iPad (pro) users e.g.

Bugs at the moment: (excuse me, but there are way too many, and I rely on evernote for iOS for being productive, efficient and creative - bugs diminishes all of these)

• Accessing a tag-based note list through the shortcut view apparently finds all notes (including from the trash) with the tag - I don't want to be bogged down by something I want to forget.
  • When searching for my notes..
    • I see "no results for [search term]" - but after some seconds (sometimes five) results come up. This is however misinformation, since Evernote is actually searching and I should wait!?
    • When results are displayed, I am though only allowed to view the first note. no matter which one I choose, it jumps to and displays the first!?
21 hours ago, Stacey said:

Is is possible there is something in this version that is causing the prompt to come up for me to sign into my iTunes account when I launch the app? I'm getting this prompt a lot, and it is only happening when I launch Evernote, and I am definitely already logged in (I've not only logged in several times, but my apps update without me having to log in). I feel like it is something with the Evernote app that is causing this to pop up repeatedly for me. Is this possible?

AppleID.png.da01b3179a78b25aa4fb151808bf93e0.png

Stacy,

many many people are complaining about experiencing this prompt. 

Without providing any personal details, im wondering:

1. What type of EN account donyou have (Free or paid), and

2. If you have a paid account, do you pay through iTunes or directly to EN?

the reason I ask is im presently using premium paid for by EN points (?) and I'm wondering it we can narrow down and connecting to why the prompt is happening. 

52 minutes ago, jacobberger said:

If you didn't update the App in Itunes on your computer. It's easy to switch back : 

Delete Evernote on your phone.

Plug it to your computer, open Itunes.

Search Evernote in your Apps library. Check the version (7.xx)

Drag and drop the Icon of Evernote on the Icon of your phone. The app will be installed on the phone.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

The badge count is now all outstanding reminders
Previously it was ...... Well...I never really understood what it meant

I actually use reminder for task due dates, so now the badge shows my current task count
I don't need this, and its distracting

At least you can disable it, in the overal options in iOS, and that is what I just did.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, jimNH said:

evernote 8 shows 1 notification; How do I tell what the notification is??? Overall not liking this update at all...crashed on install had to redo it.........

well, in fairness, 7.x didn't tell you either, nor does the Mac version, nor does the Windows version. Reminder notifications are one big batch of mystery meat. Get a notification and play "find the reason I have a badge indicator" in the app. It might be a reminder, it might be a work chat, and good luck finding it!

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-17 at 10:10 AM, cifip said:

We are currently focused on fixing the following issues to be part of 8.0.2:

It would help if you also add a list of issues you are following up on
There are quite a few posts in this discussion and we'd like to see that they are acknowledged

Just noticed Evernote is still deleting the note below a new note you deleted. 

At least it goes to the trash and you can access it but for now be careful deleting anything and also review your trash folder before emptying it.

edit: ok I better make myself clearer.

1. Let's say you create a new note by accident because you are trying out the new user interface.

2. You exit the note and there is a green up arrow meaning it is syncing.

3. If you swipe to delete the note before the sync finishes Evernote will delete the new note but also grab the one immediately below it and send it to your Trash folder 

23 hours ago, DTLow said:

Repeating an earlier comment, you may want to not jump into upgrades.
Holdback and review the comments from other users

On my Mac, the upgrades have a specific beta option to chose or reject

So, instead of Evernote streamlining it's beta testing and giving users a warning (like so many of the best companies in the industry do, including Apple) you want the user to manage the beta testing process, by behaving as if every evernote version that comes up as an extensively tested (supposedly) update to actually be an ill tested beta version. You want the user to keep track of the updates, even when iOS is designed to be the exact opposite of that. That's sick! A normal user (let alone a premium one) is not a beta tester and beta testing cannot be imposed on users without offering a choice and a proper warning, like Apple does with their updating process. Moreover most users have their devices set up to auto update the apps. And for the most part and for most of the apps, it works as expected. No other major company does this kind of a disastrous update that is beta but is presented as a tested final release. And a user cannot be expected to put the auto updates to the switched off mode just for the sake of Evernote. So what do you want the users to do? Maintain a log of updates and research on each and every update besides turning off the auto update?  Or maybe you expect users  to create an evernote notebook specially for tracking every update and user reviews, and then do extensive research and stuffs before taking the plunge. Seriously? 

Premium customers pay evernote because they trust it. They trust evernote of all things, at least to be able to manage these software releases, so that their productivity is not hampered. They trust the app to be reliable and free of productivity-hampering bugs and bugs that tend to get their vital data lost into thin air, before they have the time to understand what's actually going around. 

It's evernote that has to change it's way of doing things, and not us, the users! Premium users like me, pay to evernote to be able to use it, and evernote doesn't pay us to be beta testers! 

So, my advice would be to not try to put the blame upon users, specially for the blames, the cause of which lies in evernote's processes and the way it handles it. 

Nothing personal with you, but I am very very very pissed off with all of this. Like really pissed off. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Anime.sh said:

you want the user to manage the beta testing process, by behaving as if every evernote version that comes up as an extensively tested

I'm advising users to understand that new releases are not extensively tested

I'm advising users to hold back from jumping into a new release until the bugs have been identified and cleaned up

>>Moreover most users have their devices set up to auto update the apps.

Not a good idea - I would advise against this

>>my advice would be to not try to put the blame upon users

I'm not interested in the blame pointing
Just trying to help users on surviving the software upgrade process

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

Downgrade to the last functional version of Evernote before 8. 

Not upgrading to v8 would be my solution if I needed Presentation mode

It buys you some time, but in the long run you may run into compatibility issues. Also you're blocked off from fixes and new features

What happened to the "cards" view?  Very difficult to navigate iPad version in vertical orientation, which is how I like to type and read.  Too much wasted white space--the notes list only holds a few previews, causing major scrolling headaches through recent notes.  You must "expand" a note to add a few words because the note list takes up half the horizontal space.  The "action" buttons add another stripe of stolen space--these should go along the top.  Do you think we all have giant fingers?  There should be a more compact "compact" view at the very least.  Resizeable preview pane would be great. Even AOL webmail has that!

A feature I'd like to see on EN:

when I read a PDF, EN keeps memory of the last page, so that when I come back it opens up at the last page I read before.

I store in EN PDFs with many pages, even 300 pages, and I always have to put a mark on the last page, and I have to search for that page when I go back to the PDF.

Such a feature would be very comfortable.

Items in Trash, with Tags, is listed when searching or using a Tag In the Shortlist.

I use Tags on my notes, and then some of those tags are used in my Shortcut list on my iPhone. This is handy because I can list all things related to the Tag ".Monday" or things I need to shop for with".shopping-list". When that action or item is not required, I can ten simply swipe and delete. Now, with the upgrade, I can swipe and delete, but then the item is still listed because of the tag, but in the Trash instead fo the original folder. Is there a way to stop including the Trash folder as part of the tag search in thew iOS version?

On 1/30/2017 at 7:51 PM, Ken Nielsen said:

My note data has disappeared, numerous back and forth testing and does not transfer back to my devices... serious problems with this.. appears that the transfer process is ailing and definitely not working properly... I filed a support ticket and have not heard back one peep from Evernote on that.

Ken,

I experienced a similar problem with the release of v8 where I had a single note where the title, tags and date were available but nothing else. I managed to find I could view my missing table/data in the web and Mac versions. As of today, miraculously I can se the table/data in iOS. This was after I also submitted a trouble ticket and received zero feedback.

Have you tried the web version on a different computer?

On 1/21/2017 at 11:16 PM, GrumpyMonkey said:

I think we'll have to agree to disagree then. Many of the apps I use on a regular basis (including the browser where I am writing this now) have mastered the art of presenting a simple interface with the ability to select font sizes, styles, colors, etc. Even the plain text editors I use are more advanced in this respect. I am not requesting clutter. I'm requesting power and control over my data. All of these things can be done in an elegant manner. I recommend the developers keep a few of Edward Tufte's books on hand for inspiration. 

The metadata request doesn't seem terribly burdensome or bloated. Again, other apps manage to do it. And, the inability to edit the metadata makes it impossible to do very simple things such as change the created date, change the author, or view the note history. All of these can be extremely useful, especially when you experience data loss and may not have access to your computer for days or weeks. 

I'll take streamlined, too. In fact, as I said, I think they did just fine making the app beautiful. But, having functionality and elegant simplicity are not mutually exclusive. I could list many, many apps (including competitors) who strike a very nice balance (in my opinion). 

But, fair enough. Let's agree to disagree. Let's say they streamline the app further and remove more features they deem unnecessary. OK. I'll support them. Just don't dump the app on users with no heads up. Instead of sending out marketing blurbs devoid of content ahead of a release, maybe let users know you're going to do X, Y, Z for "reasons." That'll give us time to prepare, even if we aren't too happy to be paying for an app that increasingly does less :(

Wow, Thanks, again, GrumpyMonkey!!! Amazing! Your clear thinking about these Evernote challenges, and your ability, and willingness to articulate thinks in clear, succinct, and cogent fashion are SO appreciated.

What happened to the alpha column on the right side of the All Notes screen?  I used to be able to tap on "T" to jump down the list of notes.  Now I'm forever scrolling or searching.   That's the biggest slow down of the new version.

Microsoft provides a Evernote to Onenote converter, it is quite straightforward to use. I did the transfer without a flaw. For sure, onenote and evernote have a

completely different philosophy in classifying notes. So, the organization of imported notes are a bit messy. I feel the organization of notes in Onenote a little rigid, but the easy mixing of text and handwriting in notes, and the possibility of annoting any files in Onenote is quite attractive to me. 

I hate your crappy update. You removed the versatility and customization options. 

I hate the way it works. I hate the view you gave me. I don't use the online version because you neutered it. I will be changing to OneNote and cancelling my subscription unless you get your act together and give us the alternate home page and colors we used to have before you screwed over your customers. 

The inability to sort in reverse order for notes is a really big pain in the a _ _.  I name my notes with the date first, using the ISO date format (yyyy-mm-dd).  This enables me to sort the notes quickly by date of the meeting.

BUT, your app now puts all those notes at the bottom and it is really painful to scroll all the way down there to see recent meeting notes.

Please endeavour to address this soon.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

Also, Sync Now can be accessed from the Account icon.

or by pulling down on the note list if you are at the top, which is how many iOS handle a manual refresh. But you do have to be at the top. Double-tapping on "Notes" icon in toolbar will zip you to the top though.

Returning to Evernote as my primary note taking app. Please eliminate the delay between taping trash and the note disappearing from the list; it is rather irritating. Would like if the mac app also took cues from the web version; also, going all in with AI is the future - if DevonThink can do it you can do it also. The iPhone app begs for more 3d touch actions, on notes for example.

Nice work. Hopefully you'll keep up with this general direction. 

50 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I export my notes in HTML format to a cloud drive
This runs automatically each night for notes changed during the day
If Evernote ever suddenly goes dark; I can still access my notes.
That's both backup and exit planning

Applescript? Automator? Please advise, oh wise one. :)

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, PaperQueen said:

With a couple thousand notes in my Notes list, that equates to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll....sync. :::ugh:::

Also, Sync Now can be accessed from the Account icon.

I am pretty upset about the new 8.0 release.  The business card functionality has been severely crippled in iOS.  

1) I can no longer add the back of a card

2) Can no longer crop/edit and image

3) All the cards I scanned in today are not searchable outside of the text fields.  There seems to be no more OCR search on newly scanned cards. Really!!??  That functionality was HUGE!

If all 3 of those functions are indeed gone and never to return that would be a deal breaker for me and I will have to stop using EN and find a new solution. Had I known, I would have kept the old version, NOT COOL!

13 minutes ago, righteousdork said:

Hey PaperQueen, try grabbing the note list and pulling down to sync.

With a couple thousand notes in my Notes list, that equates to scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll....sync. :::ugh:::

• Level 5*
21 minutes ago, mdk1 said:

At what point to the "gurus" and "evangelists" feel betrayed enough to stop defending Evernote?  I saw that GrumpyMonkey might be jumping ship and that's one of the most loyal Evernote users I've seen in these forums. 

I truly loved and paid for Evernote for years, but I'm done. It's just sad I have so few decent alternatives. 

I have decided to stop using Evernote in my classes; I really like it for the sharing options (more a potential benefit of the service than an actual one, because the emails won't even work properly, but that is something for another thread) and one of the main justifications for the premium subscription (in my case) was its classroom potential. This isn't the first time Evernote has removed a feature without notice (presentation mode), but I think it is the last time I am willing to let it affect my classes. If Evernote wants to make an app for professionals to rely upon, then they need to treat their users as professionals instead of infants who cannot handle complex user interfaces (actually, kids do well with pretty much any cluttered interface these days), and they need to be a lot more careful about meddling with peoples' workflows.

I've been beating this drum for a few years, so many of my criticisms are nothing new. Why the decision to cut it out of classes now, when we have such a beautiful interface? It's simple. They shifted away from developing to increase the user base (the main focus now for eight years), asked us all to pay if we wanted to support development, and this is their first major release since the summer. It should be something that plants a flag in the ground and says this is how things are going to be at the newly slimmed down (they cut a bunch of staff and servers) company with a new focus. They're repeating the same mistakes again, though, by continuing to fiddle with the form rather than improving the function, and (yet again) unexpectedly removing features. Why they keep abandoning things without giving us a heads up is a mystery to me, but clearly (in this respect, at least) nothing has changed at the company, and it is business as usual. It's a shame, because they clearly did a lot of work, and all of that (for me) is wasted with a single surprise decision to remove a feature. When it just affects me, I suppose I have more patience for it (and, I can just decide not to update), but when it affects the classroom, it is a different story. 

I hope they get this stuff sorted, and I wish them well. Evernote is still a great app with tremendous potential. I am sure that it meets the needs of many individual users, I hope people really enjoy the new interface, and I am thrilled to see some good news for a change. I'll be sticking around as an individual user -- it does some things I really like, especially with searching. But, I'd say an update that makes me use the app less is probably not a huge success. Another unforced error, in my opinion. They spent time on that marketing blog post sent out a while back excitedly telling us about this app, but they didn't have the time (or interest), in telling us what features would (and wouldn't) be included. I guess they like surprises more than I do.

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, PaperQueen said:

Applescript? Automator?

It can be done manually but I use Applescript on my Mac (documented here)
I use the OS LaunchAgents feature for scheduling 

Since we're in the IOS forum; cloudHQ can be used as an export service

EN on my iPad mini2 is now unusable.

ive deleted and reinstalled TWICE, and still EN crashes withi g two seconds. Done all th reboot, soft boot, reinstall to no avail.

it worked out on my iPhone 6s, after one reinstall it seems fine.

i hope this is fixed soon, the iPad is my primary device for EN.

• Level 5*

The Trash bug has been resolved in version 8.0.1

Deleted notes now appear in the Trash folder

edited: From Release Notes

• From a note list, swiping on a note and tapping the delete button resulted in the note getting expunged instead of going to the Trash
    • 8.0.1 now sends the note to the Trash

Just to let you know that version 8.0 crashes on launch on my iPhone 6. I have force quit and restarted the iPhone. Still crashes. Will now delete EN from my iPhone and reinstall. A real pain!! Not a good experience. I have used EN for years, installing every update, and this is the first time this has happened.

1 hour ago, jbarnabasl said:

OK, have just reinstalled EN on my iPhone and it is still crashing as it downloads my notes from the EN servers. I shall stick to EN 7 on my iPad until this problem is sorted.

I do the same. It would have spared EN some bad comments and us users some time and frustration if this update had been communicated as still beta.

I would add a caveat to the update information until 8.0.1. is released ...

16 hours ago, Aldo_Swe said:

I just downloaded last version 8.0 and the new version just krasch at start. I tried to do several restarts but a second after launch it has a nasty crash.

I rum iOS 10.2 on iPad Air with A7/M7 1GB

How can I retrieve my information. Can't reach any of my information now.

Place my ask for help because you appsupport loops back to evernote that ....crash 

Anyone know what to do? 

Aldo

Same.

I wonder why they got rid of the presentation mode on iOS...  Having it on mobile devices makes sense the most – it's much easier to carry a tablet than a laptop to do presentations.  As a teacher, I can honestly say it will be sadly missed.

Any reason why it's no longer available?

Note creation and searching is somewhat better, note typing and editing is definitely a step back, unless you use an external keyboard.  Last year basic markdown was hinted at as a soon-to-be-released feature, but it's still not there, nor do we access to any sort of styles...  

Business card scanner option for "saving to contacts" has now disappeared, which is the main reason for using this feature... 

I assume that this is an omission that will be corrected rapidly?

Luckily I only "up"graded my iPhone 7 and left my iPad alone. Next time I'll do it the other way around....

Hi !

I've been using Evernote for 3 years now, and loved it so far. I'm in medical school and this app is now in the center of my study habits.

Unfortunately this update really is the worst one I've seen in terms of productivity, which is what Evernote is about...

• The app is globally so slow now (iPad mini retina, never lagging before this update...). Really slow, even when you are juste writing stuff, note even talking about loading notes...
  • all the option about writing are hidden and you have to tape many time to get one option (highlighting for example)
  • again, to set up a reminder... you guys need to put the logo back on so we can just tape on it directly : and this goes for the writing option
  • scrolling down note's list is lagging now... Evernote doesn't need to be graphically heavy to be productive
  • an idea : when you have a lot of reminder it is long to look for one especially now that the app is slow. Wouldn't be possible to have an option to look for an note by date of reminder ? Like a calendar or search option ?
  • also when you create a new note, the writing point (I don't know how to say it in English sorry) shouldn't be in the main writing section but in the title so we can type the title first and then the body of the note.

So basically the app is beautiful and more enjoyable to read but mainly less productive to my opinion. The thing is this should be the priority...

Thanks in advance

For the Widget, if I change my in-app settings to not show notes, then I don't want to see the 'notes will appear here text'. I'd love the widget to simply show only the icons for creating more notes. This would save widget screen real-estate and negate the need for a 'show more' option (although maybe that could be used in reverse - to show any new notes, as an extra option in settings, i.e. 'show notes last').

And please, please give premium users back their Dark Mode!

• Level 5*

Hi. The new version of the iOS app looks really nice. I thought the old version looked nice, though. And, the version before that was nice too. So, my advice would be to stop fiddling with how it looks, because I don't think this is the best use of the developers' time. I think you want to be evaluated on how well you have cleaned up the UI, and I wish I could spend time here gushing over the changes, but the truth is that I pay for the app because I want to use it for productivity and as a part of the classes that I teach (Evernote has some nice sharing features that make it quite useful for collaboration on research). Given a choice, I would much rather see current features improved, or new ones added.

1. Stop Removing Features

I am more concerned about getting stuff done, and I expect features you put into the app to stick around. There are many requests I have had over the last few years, a few of which have been implemented, so I really appreciate that you listen to user feedback. However, I think in all of my years here, I have never heard any users request the removal of a feature. Sure, I don't want to see some stuff on the screen, and maybe I'll ask to have it moved, or ask for the option to customize the UI. But, every time you remove a feature (something that often happens) it throws a grenade into our workflows and makes us wonder why in the world we are using the app. 

2. Presentation Mode

I don't like presentation mode very much (my list of complaints / requests for improvement have been communicated many times in these forums ever since its introduction), BUT my students have been using it in class, and they have found it useful. Now, I guess they cannot give their presentations tomorrow in class if they have downloaded the app? This is the same old story (how many times do we have to go through this song and dance?) of Evernote failing to communicate changes. I don't agree with the change, I wish you'd stop nerfing the app, but if you are going to do it, give us a heads up. This isn't a feature request, by the way. Don't bother putting it back. It's the end of the semester, this is the last presentation, so you'll be too late anyhow. All you do when you make mistakes like this (removing features without notice or introducing major bugs) is create resentment, and there is no going back once you have done something like ruin someone's presentation. Instead of treating the app as a beta to be tossed out into the wild, or something you can fiddle around with whenever you feel like it, I suggest you think about this as a critical part of someone's workflow -- any unexpected changes will disrupt people's work and make the productivity app wildly UNproductive. 

3. Rethink Your Strategy

I'll go one step further and say that if you want users to take you seriously and keep paying for the app, it's time to listen to our feature requests, make some promises, and start delivering. The secret roadmap approach you've been following so far  is fine in theory, but in practice you are tearing up the road as you go forward, so it results in a very unreliable experience for users. This is great for the beta released by some startup, but a truly awful strategy if you want people to buy into your vision. This advice is coming from a paying user, and one who has been around here a long time. I've tried really hard to keep using the app in my classes despite your best efforts to undermine my lessons, but I think it's about time to throw in the towel. I've got to submit my syllabi for classes in a few days, and I don't see the point in designing things to include an unreliable app. \

4. Stop the Nagging

First, there were the initial annoying messages about how to use the app, as if I am some idiot who cannot use his phone. This approach was adopted years ago and never seems to go away. Every time I have to reinstall the app on my phone, every time I get a new phone, every time you do a major update I have to suffer through the nagging. Please just stop. I am paying for a professional productivity app. I think it is time that you started treating us as professionals instead of incompetent noobs.

Second, I now get this message every time I open the app -- a perfectly wonderful way to ruin all of the productivity improvements you have tried to make: "Stay up-to-date" [Not now] / [OK]. No. I don't want to do push notifications. And, your nagging isn't going to make me press OK. I was planning to use the app in class tomorrow (the same one where I expect students are in for an unwelcome surprise when they try to use presentation mode), but I think I'll use another device that is still running the old version of the app in order to avoid any unexpected nagging. The fact that I am avoiding the new app I consider to be a failure in the testing process. But, this is what happens with every update. Please test more, and when you do it, whenever you have the urge to add a nagging message, resist it. 

5. Title?

Where is the title of the note? Now, it is indistinguishable from the note. OK. It's an interesting design choice, and actually could work out, but since it is different than the body (you cannot add styles, for example), I'd say some indication of its status as the title would help. 

Usability of UI is way better, just great - bravo. 
But: 
1. Interface elements are too bold 
2. Give me back presentation mode 
3. It's slow - I want to open the app, click + and star writing. Now I have to wait for the app as it's unusable for few first seconds 
4. Weird gray  - big nono 
6. Where are interface themes?

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, arochefor said:

Microsoft provides a Evernote to Onenote converter, it is quite straightforward to use. I did the transfer without a flaw. For sure, onenote and evernote have a

completely different philosophy in classifying notes. So, the organization of imported notes are a bit messy. I feel the organization of notes in Onenote a little rigid, but the easy mixing of text and handwriting in notes, and the possibility of annoting any files in Onenote is quite attractive to me. 

Try annotating something in OneNote with arrows, circles, and stuff. Then insert stuff above the section you annotated.

I use ON *EVERY* day at work as part of our Office 365 account, but I use Evernote to annotate then stick the final image in OneNote, and I just suck it up that my work notes are not taggable where you can filter/search by tags, you cannot sort notes, and about 20 other issues.

2 minutes ago, kevoh said:

But what about encryption Evernote?

So @kevoh, from your reaction to @DTLow's post, I assume that you were already unhappy that the iOS version of EN has never had encryption, and are now furious that the latest release does not include it either. From reviewing your post history, I don't see that you've ever posted anything expressing your strong views on this subject. Why the apparent outrage at this point in time?

9 hours ago, DTLow said:

This is very poor advice

I've been advising users to hold off on version 8 until it becomes stable,
but for those stuck in version 8 hell, you should upgrade to the most current release
(unless serious concerns have been identified)

The latest release notes are here

What's fixed in 8.0.2:

• Fixed our top crasher - related to thumbnail generation in note list snippets
    • This surfaced as crash on launch, crash when scrolling a note list, or crash on search
  • Swiping to delete a newly created empty note will no longer move another note to Trash
  • Audio, ink, & file attachments are now inserted at the cursor position when editing a note
  • PDF annotation (Premium feature) is no longer disabled for some PDFs
  • Zooming in on an image in annotation no longer resets the size of the image on that screen
  • The app UI no longer gets stuck in an odd view when partially swiping back in Settings
  •  

Not poor advice for me, 8.02 has fixed nothing for me. The iPad is usable as far as Evernote is concerned, after two more upgrades, 5 reinstalls it still crashes seconds after opening.

totally and utterly useless.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, Quentin L. said:

There is one obvious solution here. Especially for premium members : PUT THE OLD VERSION BACK ON UNTIL THIS 8Th VERSION IS STABLE, FAST, AND OPERATING

A self help solution

Generally much more nimble but I'm really missing the Note Card view from the old version, esp on my iPad.  I don't want nor need a full preview on the right (it's also a security risk for over-the-shoulder peekers).  I'd rather have the option to turn off the full preview and use the screen space to display more note cards.

I'm a Premium User.

Please bring back the presentation mode!

Please give us back an easy tag management!

Please give us a way to switch back to version 7!

Interface in this application is vital. The choice of using the program largely depends on that.

• Level 5*
On 1/17/2017 at 11:10 AM, cifip said:

Evernote 8.0 is a complete redesign emphasizing speed....

Will you guys be making a statement re this?  For me the iPhone smokes, but the iPad takes so long I forget what I trying to do.  What is the difference in the two apps?

• Level 5*
17 minutes ago, jimNH said:

evernote 8 shows 1 notification

The badge count is now all outstanding reminders
Previously it was ...... Well...I never really understood what it meant

I actually use reminder for task due dates, so now the badge shows my current task count
I don't need this, and its distracting

Archived