Saving & Using PDFs in Evernote Premium

I am new to using Evernote, and am trying to learn using a Premium subscription on a MacBook Pro under OS X Sierra (as well as an iPad and iPhone). With the Mac, I have figured out how to save a PDF into a note on the desktop version of Evernote, and have it entirely open first and every time I use that note within the desktop version only. However, whenever I either try to download a PDF first into the web version of Evernote, or open a note with a PDF file that I had previously saved under the desktop version, all I get is a PDF icon that when clicked, allows me only to download the entire PDF to the computer and use the PDF within Adobe Acrobat. I have not yet tried to annotate PDFs within notes, but this would imply that I will only be able to annotate PDFs within either the desktop version of Evernote or within Adobe Acrobat. This is not how i thought Evernote Premium would work. From write-ups, I had understood that I should be able to attach a PDF to a note within my Evernote Premium account on one computer and be able to open it and have it appear intact within the note on another computer. What am I not understanding or doing wrong?

If I am describing accurately the way that Evernote works with PDFs, then what is the advantage to using Evernote for PDFs instead of another cloud service, such as, say Dropbox? For example, if I download a large number of professional journals within Evernote, will Evernote's OCR in fact be able to index all of that; or are there not-well-documented limitations to that feature as well?

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, graybuffalo said:

From write-ups, I had understood that I should be able to attach a PDF to a note within my Evernote Premium account on one computer and be able to open it and have it appear intact within the note on another computer. What am I not understanding or doing wrong?

The desktop platforms maintain a full copy of your notes including pdf attachments.  
There is an option on the mobile platforms (Offline Notebooks) to maintain a copy or your notes.  Otherwise, the notes are downloaded from the server as required
Using the web platform, you have no copy of the note or attached pdf on your computer.  The only way to view it is to download.

>> if I download a large number of professional journals within Evernote, will Evernote's OCR in fact be able to index all of that; or are there not-well-documented limitations to that feature as well?

Here are some links describing the imageing process.  Note there is a 100 page limit for pdf ocr

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313388-Tips-for-searching-scanned-PDFshttps://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313388-Tips-for-searching-scanned-PDFs

https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2013/07/18/how-evernotes-image-recognition-works/

• Level 5*

Hi.  What he said.  Plus - PDF files can be very large,  so where time is a factor (as in seeing a PDF file on Evernote Web) or storage space may be an issue (as on most mobile devices) the file is shown as an icon and not downloaded in full unless specifically requested.  If you have space on a mobile you can specify a notebook and its contents to be available offline.  (That's a premium feature)  Your attached PDF files will be pre-downloaded and updated if they are changed on any other connected device.

If you download journals they will often be searchable - i.e. already OCR'd - and the text content will be indexed automatically.  Given that there are some limits on what Evernote will process,  and occasionally a few small delays,  I prefer to OCR my own files as and when that is necessary.  The feature is however occasionally useful.

Archived