Unable to highlight or select text within a PDF

Hi everyone,

For those of you who have experienced this issue, the fix will be included in beta 2 of Evernote Mac version 6.11. You can update to the beta track using the steps here:

For those of you that do not want to update to the beta, the recommended workaround is to right click on the PDF in the note, select Open with... > Preview, then select and copy your desired text from the PDF.

Feel free to let me know here if you have any questions!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Em 30/01/2017 at 11:48, caledavis disse:

Are you referring to the problem of Sierra insisting a copy be made of any PDF document opened through Evernote into Preview and then edited?

I used Evernote to manage my research, and this problem has effectively put a stop to my work until it is fixed.

Same problem here. This is really annoying. Need to save the copy, delete the old PDF and reattach the edited one. 

Is this bug being handled?

On 1/30/2017 at 7:48 AM, caledavis said:

Are you referring to the problem of Sierra insisting a copy be made of any PDF document opened through Evernote into Preview and then edited?

I used Evernote to manage my research, and this problem has effectively put a stop to my work until it is fixed.

Hi @caledavis, that's correct.

@Eduardo Estefano - please see my original post in this thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue as @zonderkoolzuur. Cannot edit the document on preview and have to create a copy. It is really uncomfortable to have to delete and upload an attachment everytime i want to highlight something....

Is there an estimated date for fixing this issue? I can tell i'm not the only one with this problem but maybe it's not high priority at the moment...

Em 16/03/2017 at 12:54, jfsabando disse:

I have the same issue as @zonderkoolzuur. Cannot edit the document on preview and have to create a copy. It is really uncomfortable to have to delete and upload an attachment everytime i want to highlight something....

Is there an estimated date for fixing this issue? I can tell i'm not the only one with this problem but maybe it's not high priority at the moment...

This is fixed on Beta 2. If you are not on beta testing you will have to wait for the 6.11 release. Hopefully available very soon. 

• 4 weeks later...

I refer to the attached post by Evernote employee @BSR.

@BSR  told us that the problem of being unable to highlight text in a PDF would be fixed in 6.11 beta 2.

It was not. Nor was it fixed in the final release of 6.11.

When will it be fixed? This problem has been persisting for far too long.

I am not interested in workarounds.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 20.48.19.png

• BSR unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 7 months later...
17 minutes ago, askielboe said:

Stil not working on a clean install of Evernote 6.13 on High Sierra 10.13.1.

Just got off Evernote Support Chat and they instructed me to install the latest version 6.13.1 (not in AppStore yet, but available from the website).

That seems to have fixed the problem for me for now.

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jmadamslaw said:

Hey all.  Super simple fix.  Right click the the .pdf within EN, open with Acrobat Reader and highlight the text.  When you save it, it updates in EN without creating a copy like Preview!

This is an old discussion about a bug in the Evernote app.   The bug was fixed for recent versions.

The Evernote app includes a pdf annotation feature with basic functions

• 1 year later...

I don't want to use the built-in Evernote/Skitch app to annotate PDFs. I'm running Version 7.9.1 (457703 App Store) on Mojave and I have this same problem with having to make a copy every time. Did this bug just come back? Or maybe it's a limitation of the App Store version?

• Level 5

From another thread in this forum it seems that indeed the App Store version is  handicapped when trying to annotate a pdf using PREVIEW. I have installed from the App Store under Mojave, and can reproduce the issue. I just don’t care because I use EN/Skitch to make annotations, or better I do it under iOS on my iPad Pro with Apple pencil.

Fix on a Mac: Uninstall the version from the App Store, install the direct version from the EN Website, rebuild the database from the cloud Server.

Caution: All notebooks declared as „local“ will get lost if not synced or otherwise backupped before deleting the App Store Version.

I think that it is not a bug within Evernote, the restriction most likely is applied by the setup of the app on the Mac.