Mac 'Search Within Note' Problem

Go to solution Solved by BSR,

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a PhD student relying Evernote for my research. I usually create very long note for my reading (with highlights and coloring).

However, I have been unable to search the content I want using the 'search within note' function (see the attached picture). When I type a phrase using parenthesis, it fails to provide any result. 

After some research I found out that this problem has been persistent for years and it still has not been fixed.

I have been a premium user for 2 years. If this rudimentary function is not available, I have to consider other more reliable applications for my research. It is sad that I have already recommended my colleagues and professors to use Evernote for their research. I am embarrassed to tell them about the problem and how unreasonable it is after spending hundreds of hours building a database when the basic search within note function is not available.

I am looking forward to receiving constructive feedback from the CS.

Faithfully,
Wayne

Screen Shot 2017-01-10 at 4.31.53 PM.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're posting in a public (mainly) user forum,  so I'm not sure you'll get any formal response from Evernote on this,  but it seems to me that you should find "enter the dragon" on the general search,  even if it doesn't appear that 'within note' searches allow for phrases,  but will only find single words.  You could also search for single words such as 'enter' or 'dragon' to find the same clip.

In fact Evernote Windows (which is what I use) will find a complete phrase when it is typed without the quote marks - a quick example below.

If you verify that this is an issue for you,  you'll be able to raise it with Evernote if you contact support directly,  or message them on Twitter

ScreenClip [1].png

ScreenClip [2].png

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Wayne K.T. said:

However, I have been unable to search the content I want using the 'search within note' function (see the attached picture). When I type a phrase using parenthesis, it fails to provide any result. 

"Search within note" (or actually "Find within Note") works for me in Evernote 6.9.2 (454158) on macOS 10.11.4.

What EN Mac and OS versions are you running?

Screenshot of "Find within Note":

EN-Mac-6.9.2-Find-Phrase.png

• Evernote Staff
  • Solution
22 hours ago, Wayne K.T. said:

Thanks for your reply. My OS and EN versions:

Hi @Wayne K.T., it looks like this issue has been resolved and the fix will be in the second beta update to the next version of Evernote for Mac, version 6.11. 

I don't have a specific date when the beta will be released but if you'd like to switch to the beta track, go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update and check the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

You'll then be notified in app when the beta version is released. Likewise, you can manually check for updates by going to Help > Check for Updates in the app or by checking for updates in our forum here.

Once you have updated, if you no longer want to continue on the beta track, go back and uncheck the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

I hope that helps.

13 hours ago, BSR said:

Hi @Wayne K.T., it looks like this issue has been resolved and the fix will be in the second beta update to the next version of Evernote for Mac, version 6.11. 

I don't have a specific date when the beta will be released but if you'd like to switch to the beta track, go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update and check the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

You'll then be notified in app when the beta version is released. Likewise, you can manually check for updates by going to Help > Check for Updates in the app or by checking for updates in our forum here.

Once you have updated, if you no longer want to continue on the beta track, go back and uncheck the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

I hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I will update the app and see if the problem still exists.

• Evernote Staff
13 hours ago, Wayne K.T. said:

Thanks for your reply. I will update the app and see if the problem still exists.

Please do let me know how it goes!