How to set default notebook

I'm using the Evernote business version at work (Windows version, 6.4.2.3788). Everytime I create a new note, it is automatically put in the wrong notebook. I searched how to change this and I found a solution that is not working, atleast not anymore. The solution I found said:

Windows

1. From the left sidebar, select Notebooks to display the notebook list
  2. Right-click on the the notebook you would like to set as your default
  3. Select Properties... from the pop-up menu
  4. Select the checkbox labeled "Make this my default notebook"

When I right-click the Notebook I want, and choose properties, the only checkbox I get is: "Sync this notebook to my computer" with a dropdown menu, and "Sync notes now"

There is no "make this my default notebook"

Other information given in this box is:

Shared by: company name

You can: view notes and make changes

Any tip to where I can change my default notebook?

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you switch to your personal notebook you should be able to create a default that works.  Are you trying to set one single notebook as the destination for all new notes,  or just ensure that the ones you make go there?

The thing is that we have a Notebook for the sales department and one for the technical department for the Business verion. I see that I can set a default one in my personal notebook but I want to set one of the notebooks in the business part. 

• Level 5*

If you want to set a 'default notebook' for a department to use,  I think you'd have to do that with permissions* - see this help page (and ignore the misleading title).  The business account is designed to allow colleagues access to any notebook which they're allowed to see - and the assumption is (I think) that  someone working in one notebook will save notes back to that notebook,  or back to their personal account to be shared with an appropriate notebook when editing is completed.

I'm not a business user however - @phils occasionally chimes in on this sort of thing,  so maybe he'll have an idea of how to do this.

It may boil down to educating staff to use the right notebook rather than controlling their access...

* I'm assuming you're the (or 'an') Administrator for the account.

• Level 5*

I have been summoned by the great and powerful Gaz...  ;)

The Evernote Windows client does not currently allow you to set a default Business notebook.  More specifically, it currently acts such that the first-alphabetically-listed notebook is sort of the default notebook, in that a new note not created in another specific notebook will get put into that top-listed notebook.  But I don't believe that's by design, I think it just happens to work that way currently.

All of the other major Evernote clients - Mac, iOS and Android - DO allow you to set a default Business notebook.  And that capability was just recently added added to the Mac client, which leads me to believe that they will be adding this capability to the Windows client at some point, hopefully soon (though I don't have any inside info on that).

• Level 5*

I guess I should mention in terms of a current workaround... Given the current Windows client behavior of making the top-sorted Business notebook the de facto default, if everyone in your company wanted the same default Business notebook, you could put a special character like a + as the first character of that notebook's name, which would cause it to sort to the top of the notebooks list and thus become the "default". 

However, I don't think that's going to work in your case, where your Sales team wants one default and your Technical team wants another default.  The only way it could work in that scenario is if the Sales team's desired default notebook was not shared at all with the Technical people, and vice versa - that way each team could prepend a + to their desired default and thus each have its own "top-listed notebook".

• 8 months later...
  • Level 5*

@bjerved A "default business notebook" has been added to the core capability of Evernote and support for it is in the process of being implemented in the clients.  I know it's in the Mac client now, don't think it's in Windows yet, not sure about iOS/Android.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the same problem with my web clipper, be it on Firefox or Safari on a mac. It looks like the default notebook is the first in alphabetical order. The problem is that my boss doesn't want to that particular one to everyone so everything I clip gets sent to that notebook but I can't see it afterward. I could always clip in my personnal account and move it to the appropriate notebook but I thought the goal was to eliminate steps. Also I can't see any other notebook on my business account in the web clipper. I just see the default one. Any fix on this?

Archived