Notebook Export HTML Unique Image Names (eBooks)

jasteele123

Idea

Hello,

I would like to suggest an option to create unique image names for HTML export [ notebook Export as multiple Web Pages (.html) ]

If I export an entire notebook to import into an ebook (using Sigil for example) the images that are exported are not unique - which is not supported by epub (for example) eBook format.

The eBooks have a single images directory, so there can be only one image named Image.png which leads to incorrect overwritten image names.  The last exported image is referenced by all the other eBook "Chapters" = not good.

In general it would be better to have some kind of symantic meaning instead of just Image.png, Image [1].png, Image [2].png etc. - either a unique hash or based on the note title?  Not to mention spaces in the image file names ;)

I love Evernote, but this is a real show-stopper for eBook development and a real pain to rename the many images and edit the HTML files to match.

Thank you for your consideration,

John Steele

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-08 at 1:03 PM, jasteele123 said:

I would like to suggest an option to create unique image names for HTML export [ notebook Export as multiple Web Pages (.html) ]

I can appreciate you have the requirement, but it seems very specific to your processing. 
I can't see much need for this for many users.

Evernote does ensure the folder names are unique.
You could look at scripting a process to rename the images by appending the folder names

The best solution would be to enforce your naming standard as you're creating notes and not allow the use of names like Image.png - you can rename attachments after creating the note
This is something I do with my own notes, more for scans which all have the same filename

On 1/10/2017 at 10:05 PM, DTLow said:

I can appreciate you have the requirement, but it seems very specific to your processing. 
I can't see much need for this for many users.

Evernote does ensure the folder names are unique.
You could look at scripting a process to rename the images by appending the folder names

The best solution would be to enforce your naming standard as you're creating notes and not allow the use of names like Image.png - you can rename attachments after creating the note
This is something I do with my own notes, more for scans which all have the same filename

Maybe not obvious but, since the pages and images are being exported as HTML, spaces in directories and filenames are not generally a good choice cross-platform.

Also, these are not attachments.  Many are web clippings and inline image pasted into the notes.  It's the naming conventions that Evernote uses during the export.

Yes, the files and images could be manipulated externally with code, but generating GUIDs outside the central repository (in this case an Evernote notebook) would always be problematic.  Especially if multiple notebooks were exported at different times (and possibly by multiple authors). There are also no rules against multiple notes having the same title.

I imagine more eBook authors (and authors in general sharing notebooks) would use Evernote if this problem didn't exist, and I think it's a reasonable (and not hard to implement) "Feature Request", especially for a company with a 100-year plan ;)

eBooks will eventually surpass printed copies, but a similar argument could be made for importing into a CMS or other external systems.

In most cases duplicate file names are rarely a Good Idea(tm)

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, jasteele123 said:

Maybe not obvious but, since the pages and images are being exported as HTML, spaces in directories and filenames are not generally a good choice cross-platform.

8 hours ago, jasteele123 said:

In addition, as a Technical Editor for several different publishlers (O'Reilly, McGraw-Hill, Packt Publishing), none of them accept duplicate image names in their workflows...

Until Evernote implements an eBook export option, I'd encourage you to enforce your naming conventions at the note level.
Its your decision to use spaces and duplicate names

I imagine more eBook authors (and authors in general sharing notebooks) would use Evernote if this problem didn't exist, and I think it's a reasonable (and not hard to implement) "Feature Request", especially for a company with a 100-year plan

+ 1

Archived