How to reliably cause Evernote for Windows to freeze momentarily

EdH

Idea

• Level 5*

reliably in the sense that, there are dozens of other ways to do that that aren't as consistent. ;)

1. Start Evernote on Windows and make sure to leave it alone. Let it sync, etc. Make sure it has nothing queued up to do.
  2. Right-click on the Evernote icon in the task bar and select "Clip screenshot"
  3. Clip anything with the crosshairs.
  4. Go to Evernote
  5. select that note
  6. right-click on the image and select "cut"
  7. Doesn't matter what step 7 is because evernote is now frozen.

This is on a Surface Pro with an i5 processor, 16GB of RAM, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

the workflow is creating a note for documentation, and using Evernote to get some screengrabs that you want in one note, so you clip, cut, paste, document, rinse, repeat.

Merging notes is not an option as that:

• destroys any links to the original note.
  • creates thick gray bars between notes where I really want these images more or less inline, and even in bullet lists

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
44 minutes ago, Jim Frey said:

I repeated this as well.  ouch.

Thanks for the confirm. Hoping to get EN to recognize that the Windows client locks up way too frequently to be useful day to day usage because of the local database being overly aggressive in maintenance or just ill equipped to handle the job.

Update here. A recent data error reminded me that I had used tools/options to move my data in evernote onto a SD card on my surface pro 3. So I bit the bullet, uninstalled and reinstalled, then had to uninstall again as evernote was now insistent that everything HAD to be on the D drive, and finally persuaded it to keep everything on the C drive.

After a few hours now, the experience is worlds away from what it was before. No search pauses, no hangs, and it zips along in an entirely useable fashion.

I´m having the same issues as soon as I move the database and evernote files to the SD-Card (U3 with really good writing and reading speeds) in my Surface Pro 6. Evernote is not usable then. But I have no idea why there is so much write- and readactivity while just typing some text into a note.

From my point of view there is a big performance-issues within evernote regarding IO on harddisks that should be fixed.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, doex said:

I´m having the same issues as soon as I move the database and evernote files to the SD-Card (U3 with really good writing and reading speeds) in my Surface Pro 6. Evernote is not usable then. But I have no idea why there is so much write- and readactivity while just typing some text into a note.

From my point of view there is a big performance-issues within evernote regarding IO on harddisks that should be fixed.

How was performance before you moved the DB?

1 hour ago, CalS said:

How was performance before you moved the DB?

I had no issues with the performance. When I move all back to the SSD its running perfectly again. After moving back to SD-Card its getting stuck again.

• Level 5

This is no surprise. The issue is not the storage, it is the interface.

Many SD-card-readers are USB 2.0 - which is nothing compared to an SSD, even when running with an eSATA interface. A SSD with PCLe will run circles around those. The other issue with SD-cards is that they often get hot, and then speed down.

In cameras that need it, the manufacturers spend into the read-/write-interfaces build into these, But this will not speed up the same card when placed into a PC-slot. The SD-slots in PCs are not meant to serve as harddisk / SSD-replacements.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

This is no surprise. The issue is not the storage, it is the interface.

Many SD-card-readers are USB 2.0 - which is nothing compared to an SSD, even when running with an eSATA interface. A SSD with PCLe will run circles around those. The other issue with SD-cards is that they often get hot, and then speed down.

In cameras that need it, the manufacturers spend into the read-/write-interfaces build into these, But this will not speed up the same card when placed into a PC-slot. The SD-slots in PCs are not meant to serve as harddisk / SSD-replacements.

Thanks for your reply.

But I do not see it like youre pointing it down here. Speaking for my hardware (Surface Pro 6) the SD-Slot is indeed there for an additional storage like an extra harddisk. And writing some text in Evernote is nothing compared to saving 30MB big raw files on a camera while taking photos. So there can´t be an issue caused by heat or throttling down the card to avoid too much heat.

The issue must be somewhere else.

• Level 5

My impression is that you insist on being on the right track with treating an SD-card as a replacement for a HD - or even a SSD.

Because I will not convince you of anything else, do what I did right now:

- Go to the Microsoft specs for the Surface Pro 6, stating it has a MicroSDXC-slot

- Then go to Wikipedia, searching for MicroSDXC, and read the specs

Hint: Even the highest class of today’s SD-cards run the same max speed as my 5 years old 2.5“-HDD WD-my-passport on USB 3.0. And then there is an issue how these high-speed cards have to be initialized before they take up speed. No way to get close to a decent internal HDD, not even thinking about a SSD.

But as I say: Because you insist, get the information yourself. And next time buy more disk space ...

• Like 2
23 hours ago, doex said:

After moving back to SD-Card its getting stuck again.

The database is an Sqlite database. Every time you type anything, that data has to be recorded in the database. Putting the database on a low speed interface is (as they say) a "very bad idea". Also, the drive it's on must support file locking - so network drives are also a "very bad idea".

• Like 3
On 4/28/2019 at 10:21 PM, PinkElephant said:

My impression is that you insist on being on the right track with treating an SD-card as a replacement for a HD - or even a SSD.

Because I will not convince you of anything else, do what I did right now:

- Go to the Microsoft specs for the Surface Pro 6, stating it has a MicroSDXC-slot

- Then go to Wikipedia, searching for MicroSDXC, and read the specs

Hint: Even the highest class of today’s SD-cards run the same max speed as my 5 years old 2.5“-HDD WD-my-passport on USB 3.0. And then there is an issue how these high-speed cards have to be initialized before they take up speed. No way to get close to a decent internal HDD, not even thinking about a SSD.

But as I say: Because you insist, get the information yourself. And next time buy more disk space ...

My old reply was removed.

Short version: I did not wanted to offend you or degrade your response. I´m sorry if it seemed like that. :-(

I have fixed my performance issues by setting the SD-Card "guideline" from faster removing" to "better performance" - I do not know the correct english translations for those points.
Maybe this helps others too.

• Level 5

Good idea. Just remember to „eject“ it from Windows every time before removing, otherwise you risk data loss if the write access is still active when plugging it out. I have had this problem with USB sticks already, and data retrieval from flash memory is much more tricky than from a turning HDD.