Installation issues: Evernote Web vs Program Installation

I have a beginner question the answer to which I seem unable to find.  So, I am posting it here.

I have set up an account with Evernote.  I have installed the Evernote program on my Windows 10 computer and opened a Notebook and added some notes.  I also use a MacBookPro and want to be able to see my notebooks and notes and add/edit notes from the Mac.  As I understand it, Evernote is, basically, a "cloud" program with synchronization. 

On my Mac, I seem able to log into something called "Evernote Web" (https://www.evernote.com/Home.action#n=....) via my Firefox browser.  I can see my "Windows" Notebook and my notes and can edit them on the Mac. 

My question is "To use Evernote and sync with my Windows copy, am I supposed to download and install a full copy of Evernote program (intended for the Mac OS)? 

Or, to put it another way, what is the purpose of the "Evernote Web browser page". 

Am I supposed to install the Evernote Program on only one computer and use the "Evernote Web Browser page" on all other computers with which I want to sync materials? 

Could I not use the Evernote Web Browser for all computers?  I am confused as to how to set up the two computers to sync with the Evernote program.

Many thanks.

jsrobbins

• Level 5*

Hi.  Evernote is available as a number of different 'clients' - installed Desktop / Mobile / Tablet versions in several operating systems,  or as a web page.  All of these clients are connected to the cloud database which holds all of your information (except for Local Notebooks but that's a whole other story...)

You can log into your account from any device using your personal details and see all of your notes on that device.

Desktops can also store a local copy of the web database.  I have a lot of notes,  so mine is 15GB or so at present.  It's good to have some local information,  otherwise you're totally dependent on an internet connection for access to your own data.  Tablets and mobiles don't download the database by default - they usually have limited storage.

Evernote Web is slower and more limited than the installed desktop version because it relies on the internet and the server to do all its processing.  The desktop installed version is faster and has more features because it has the space and processing power to play with.

You can choose which of these you prefer to use - entirely up to you.

Thank you very much "gazumped"!  Your answer makes sense.  I often find that the high altitude view of software functioning is left off from all the descriptions of virtues by the software makers.  I like to have a "bird's eye view" of the architecture so I can navigate more thoughtfully. 

Your answer also raises the "...whole other story...".  My next question (of course).

I would like to keep a copy of my Notebooks and Notes locally (in addition to the cloud).  It seems safer.

Is there a way to set up my account so a local copy of my Notebooks and Notes is saved (and sync'd)?

jsrobbins

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jsrobbins said:

I would like to keep a copy of my Notebooks and Notes locally (in addition to the cloud).  It seems safer.

Is there a way to set up my account so a local copy of my Notebooks and Notes is saved (and sync'd)?

By design, the Mac/Windows platforms maintain a complete copy of your notes 

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jsrobbins said:

Can you tell me where on each platform the copies are kept? 

Untitled.jpeg

On My Mac, I click on About Evernote, and press the option key
A link to the database folder appears

Someone else will have to reply about Windows; I know the entire database is contained in a single .exb file

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, jsrobbins said:

Am I correct that you have the Evernote Program installed on your Mac (and not the Evernote Web)?

We use the term platforms, not device
On my Mac, I can run the following platforms, Mac, Windows, and Web

Yes, I have the Evernote software installed on my Mac

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, jsrobbins said:

Am I correct that you have the Evernote Program installed on your Mac (and not the Evernote Web)?

We use the term platforms, not device
On my Mac, I can run the following platforms, Mac, Windows, and Web

Yes, I have the Evernote software installed on my Mac
I can also access Evernote Web on my Mac - no installation, its just www.evernote.com on my browser

My question about what you had installed on your Mac was because on my Mac I currently have only the Web platform and cannot find anything called "About Evernote".  I assumed that only had I downloaded the Evernote program to my Mac would I have an "About Evernote" icon.  jsrobbins

• Level 5*
Just now, jsrobbins said:

My question about what you had installed on your Mac was because on my Mac I currently have only the Web platform and cannot find anything called "About Evernote".  I assumed that only had I downloaded the Evernote program to my Mac would I have an "About Evernote" icon.  jsrobbins

I have installed the Evernote software on my Mac

You can download from the App store, or from www.evernote.com/download

Archived