Merge tags

Diamond Dog

Idea

Hi there. Love Evernote, especially how easy and fast it is to search for notes based on tags. 
I'm missing some kind of tag management though. I have over 1,000 notes and a lot of tags, often entered in a hurry. I end up with multiple tags that are kind of similar. I want an easy way to reduce the number and variation of my tags. For example, I go to the Tags view, select "Email campaign", "email list", "Email lists", "Email marketing", and I want to replace all tags with one called, let's say, "Emails". Ideally I would right-click and select Merge Tags, but no such option exists. I have to do it manually, which annoys me, so I don't do it, which reduces my satisfaction in working with the tool.

Thanks for considering this (or another better) idea for managing tags.

6 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Workaround.  Do an ANY search for "Email campaign", "email list", "Email lists", "Email marketing", select all the notes, hit Shift-Alt-T for the tag selection dialog, and add the tag Emails to all the notes.  Then do a new search for the tag:emails and locate a note containing each of the other tags and delete (not remove) the tag from the note.  This will delete the tag from all notes as quickly as possible I think.  Just a couple of minutes tops no matter the number of notes.

17 hours ago, csihilling said:

Workaround.  Do an ANY search for "Email campaign", "email list", "Email lists", "Email marketing", select all the notes, hit Shift-Alt-T for the tag selection dialog, and add the tag Emails to all the notes.  Then do a new search for the tag:emails and locate a note containing each of the other tags and delete (not remove) the tag from the note.  This will delete the tag from all notes as quickly as possible I think.  Just a couple of minutes tops no matter the number of notes.

Thanks csihiling. That's what I mean by doing it manually. Your spelling it out is probably helpful to someone who wants to do it that way / in the absence of a proper feature for it.

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-04 at 3:26 PM, Diamond Dog said:

Ideally I would right-click and select Merge Tags, but no such option exists.

You're right; on the Tag view there is no option to "Merge Tags"
Logically, it would mean

1. going through all the notes and updating the tag assignments
  2. then updating the tags

Currently, the process isScreen Shot 2017-01-16 at 1.00.49 PM.png

1. Mac's allow you to do mass changes on notes
    The box to the right illustrates notes with !Tag1 and !Tag2
    To use a merged Tag3, I would add !Tag3 in the bottom box
  2. I would then go to Tag view and delete !Tag1 and !Tag2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Diamond Dog said:

Thanks csihiling. That's what I mean by doing it manually. Your spelling it out is probably helpful to someone who wants to do it that way / in the absence of a proper feature for it.

You are welcome.  Yeah, that's why I prefaced it with workaround.  Until/if such a feature is installed just trying to provide a little help to anyone who needs to do this and finds this thread.

Archived