Business cards - Edit in Windows app

Tone_sf

Idea

I've used Evernote for years and love it!  Recently I felt the need to scan my business cards and store them in Evernote for easy access.  First feedback I got was that I needed to be a Premium member to do this.  Then I got prompted for a free year of scanning business cards if I allowed Evernote to read my LinkedIn profile.  So I did that.  Then after scanning the card on my Android phone, I was fairly impressed!  However, I was unable to edit info on the card via my Windows Evernote app.  After searching, the answer is to always do your edits in the Android app.  Well... that's not very feasible if I'm primarily a Windows app user!  Searching some more, I find lots of users for the past 2 years trying to do the same; even Premium users!  But all were left unsatisfied by the lack of an Edit feature for Windows app business cards.

Unless this can be addressed, I guess I'll search for a different app to store my business cards.  Thanks for any feedback!

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

This is part of a business card note - I have editable areas as indicated in my Windows desktop client.  If you need to add more meeting information it's fairly trivial to create a new note (or notes) with the same title (so any search will find both).  You can merge the two (or more) notes if you prefer...

ScreenClip.png

Thank you for your reply.  While this may be a "work around" solution for some, I added the below business card and as you can see the fields that were pulled from the card are not editable.  I've tried double clicking all over the place and nowhere does it allow me to edit the phone number or add an email address.  But even if it did, I think the "work around" proposed is kludgey and shows that Evernote has not dedicated time to solve what appears to be a simple issue for years!  Creating a separate note with the same name is plain old clumsy and inefficient.  Sorry to be so blunt, but I think I represent lots of users who are looking for a more elegant solution for the Windows app.  Does anyone know if Evernote plans to address this via app updates?

2017-01-04 08_12_30-All Notebooks - tony.lopes2@gmail.com - Evernote.jpg

• Level 5*

Hi again.  Just for info this is a user supported forum so you can call the app and its processes what you like (within reason) - any comment here unless it comes from someone wearing an 'Employee' status is just us chickens offering suggestions.  And Evernote don't discuss what they may or may not be working on in terms of future development,  so no clue as to the possible future upgrading of the service.  However I'm intrigued.  Your business card notes look nothing like what I get in my Windows desktop client.  I just snapped another spare card to check I had quoted an up to date note.  I still have scope to edit any of the fields - which may be an answer to your question,  because I'm running the current beta version the desktop client.  Maybe this functionality is about to make its way to you with the next public release.  (I lose track of what's beta and what;s not...)

As to kludgy work-arounds,  that's pretty much the definition of work-arounds.  They're less convenient and far messier than a dedicated feature,  but they have the advantage of working right now if you need that process.

My apologies to you gazumped!  I actually tried to open a ticket with Evernote, but was "encouraged" to use the forum and that "they" will respond.  So I thought you were an Evernote employee responding to my post.  I sure do appreciate the ideas you've mentioned!  But I guess another reason I assumed you were Evernote was because there was no acknowledgement that the current functionality is not very good.  But the fact that you run beta code pretty much explains that too!  For sure, I am not running beta.  My version is: 6.4.2.3788 Public.  From your screen shot it sure does look promising that Evernote has improved this functionality and now enabling editing of fields.  In fact, your pic shows a field called "Add Notes", so with this feature, there really is no need to create a duplicate note or merge into the main note.  Just add notes directly to the card.

Agreed that all "work arounds" are not optimum.  What I meant by kludgy was that some work arounds are reasonable ways to get what you want done.  Others are so cumbersome and inefficient that I call them kludgy as in this case.

Since my first post, I have done quite a bit of research on other solutions for business cards.  Of all that I considered, there are two that I'm now trying out.  They are CamCard and Zappoint Business Card Organizer.  I'm finding that these apps also perform OCR on the card.  So this may be a better solution in the long run for me since my 1-year of free business card scanning with Evernote will end and then I'll have to subscribe to Premium (not excited about that).

UPDATE: I now realize that Evernote also does OCR on the card... duh!  How else would it get the name and phone number in the example I posted?!  Please disregard my comment above.

Thanks again for the help you've provided!  :-)

Archived