Editing Evernote attachments in Preview stopped working?

My workflow: Every couple of weeks, an employee scans a couple dozen graphics-heavy documents, which the scan software (ScanSnap) automatically turns into a PDF and uploads to a company Evernote account.  Then I go through and rotate pages on the (many) occasions that the software doesn't correctly detect orientation.

I used to just right-click on the PDF, select "Open" which launched Preview, scroll through and occasionally use Cmd-L or Cmd-R to rotate pages, then close the window.  Done.

Now when I rotate pages, I get a message: "The original document can't be changed, so a duplicate with your changes has been created."  Making changes and closing the window no longer affects the PDF stored in Evernote.  Is this caused by a change to MacOS (I just upgraded to Sierra), or a change to Evernote?  Either way, it's annoying.

I can download the PDF, open it in Preview, save it, then delete the PDF in Evernote and replace it with my edited copy, but that's tedious and I'd like a better solution.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
30 minutes ago, jaffray said:

I can download the PDF, open it in Preview, save it, then delete the PDF in Evernote and replace it with my edited copy, but that's tedious and I'd like a better solution.  Any ideas?

• 5 months later...
15 hours ago, teoharr said:

Do we have an ETA for this fix? this issue has really increased our workload. 

I recommend Kosterby's workaround:

cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/
mv www.evernote.com ~/Documents
ln -s ~/Documents/www.evernote.com

I did this five months ago and the issue hasn't bothered me since.

• 4 months later...
On 6/17/2017 at 12:49 AM, jaffray said:

I did this five months ago and the issue hasn't bothered me since.

Instead it bothers me because I am paying for premium and the feature has not been working properly for a year. Evernote is loosing it...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, zinoff said:

the feature has not been working properly for a year.

This was an bug that appeared when OS Sierra was implemented.  afaik The bug has been fixed long ago

• 2 months later...

I found a solution for MacOS High Sierra users. It's actually very simple:

The solution posted here by user Kosterby suggested creating symbolic links to the locations of the hidden file locations that Evernote plays with to get the job done. As it turned out for me, I couldn't find the directory Kosterby gave, and this is because their solution searches for hidden files in a different location depending on where Evernote was installed on your machine. In other words, the directory...

/Users/myuseraccount/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/

...does not exist if you downloaded and installed Evernote from the App Store (I didn't note down where they were, but it was not under /Users/myuseraccount/Library, and may instead have been under /Library). On another of my machines where I had downloaded Evernote from the website, I was not facing this problem, and when I dug into the directories I found this discrepancy. 

In any case, if you remove your Evernote install, and instead reinstall the version downloaded from Evernote.com, the files will be located correctly and this problem should not happen. Once you've done this, your Evernote should look like the attachment below (note the version line includes the detail [direct]).

screenshot.png

Archived