Feature Request: Add full encryption to all notes

mservidio

Idea

I would like to store some secure documents within Evernote, however Evernote for years has lacked full encryption on notes and has constantly ignored the request from many to fully encrypt our data. This should be core to the Evernote service offering. Users should have the ability to control their own encryption keys as well.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-02 at 3:04 PM, mservidio said:

I would like to store some secure documents within Evernote, however Evernote for years has lacked full encryption on notes and has constantly ignored the request from many to fully encrypt our data. This should be core to the Evernote service offering. Users should have the ability to control their own encryption keys as well.

It would have  been more useful to add your vote to an existing request instead of starting your own request in the Mac forum

Evernote has a text encryption feature for text within a note, and I make use of encrypted PDFs

I don't want to be locked into Evernote because of encryption.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, mservidio said:

Is there an existing request for this you can point me to? These forums aren't very practical for feature requests, I was unable to find a previous request.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, mservidio said:

Thanks - perhaps the title and wording of that should be updated though. Password protecting versus full encryption and allowing users to control there own keys is the point I was trying to get across.

You say encryption key, they say password; could they be the same thing?

One of the top support requests is for "Forgotten Password".  
Do you think the average user can handle controlling there own keys?

Currently Evernote performs some services on the servers, for example OCR and search indexing.  
Are you willing to give these up for your entire set of notes?

I'm not recommending that it necessarily be on by default for all users, but yes users can control there own keys. In the same sense that users can control there own recovery keys when turning on 2FA or 2SV for google, icloud, etc.

As for OCR & search indexing, processing power on machines is at a point where these functions and indexing of this data could reside locally and also stored in encrypted fashion within Evernote. This isn't anything revolutionary. Seems that Evernote team would rather have direct access to our data than ensure proper security over it.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, mservidio said:

As for OCR & search indexing, processing power on machines is at a point where these functions and indexing of this data could reside locally and also stored in encrypted fashion within evernote. This isn't anything revolutionary.

You did post this in the Mac forum, but have you considered the impact to other platforms - for example I access my  notes on an iPad/iPhone and Web

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, mservidio said:

It's a feature request - it's doable if the effort is put in. It's not my job to consider the impact or implementation, that's why I'm just a consumer and am using this forum to make a feature request.

True, you've posted a request and it's available for discussion and voting.  

However you  might think about the considerations and why Evernote has not responded to the ongoing requests

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, DTLow said:

However you  might think about the considerations and why Evernote has not responded to the ongoing requests

Instead of considering why this hasn't been done and perhaps not requesting it, I would rather seem many more people like @mservidio speak up and request encryption if that is what they want to see in the product.  If enough folks speak up maybe, just maybe, Evernote's collective head will get reshaped into realizing that encryption and security are likely far more important to their customers than something like machine learning is.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Instead of considering why this hasn't been done and perhaps not requesting it, I would rather seem many more people like @mservidio speak up and request encryption if that is what they want to see in the product.  If enough folks speak up maybe, just maybe, Evernote's collective head will get reshaped into realizing that encryption and security are likely far more important to their customers than something like machine learning is.

I always encourage all users to add their vote to the requests they feel are important

Encryption is important to me and I use it for my sensitive data
I've considered the implications of this feature and implemented my own solution instead of requesting and using an Evernote solution

Archived