Feature request: Visualize available tags/notebooks

I would love to see a feature in both desktop clients where the visual representation is connected between notebook and tag so that if I select one notebook, all tags not available within the selected notebook would dim. In the same way I would like to see the same feature when I select a tag so that notebooks having no notes with the selected tag would dim. Third and my last scenario would be that if I select a tag the same visualization would exist to show which other tags "share" the selected tag.

This would greatly increase my productivity in cases when I do not remember the exact term to search for but do know some tags I did attach to it.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. We're planning to add options to filter tags on the Mac and Windows in a way that's somewhat similar to what you describe.

• Level 5*
I would love to see a feature in both desktop clients where the visual representation is connected between notebook and tag so that if I select one notebook, all tags not available within the selected notebook would dim.

That's about the best proposal that I've read so far, dimming tags that are not in the selected notebook. That way you can keep the tag hierarchy view intact. Nice.

In the same way I would like to see the same feature when I select a tag so that notebooks having no notes with the selected tag would dim.

That seems reasonable, too.

Third and my last scenario would be that if I select a tag the same visualization would exist to show which other tags "share" the selected tag.

Hmmm. Would this be ambiguous with the dimming associated with selected notebooks? I'm not really sure what a tag sharing another tag means, as they're discrete currently. The tag tree is visualization only at this point.

~Jeff

Third and my last scenario would be that if I select a tag the same visualization would exist to show which other tags "share" the selected tag.

Hmmm. Would this be ambiguous with the dimming associated with selected notebooks? I'm not really sure what a tag sharing another tag means, as they're discrete currently. The tag tree is visualization only at this point.

Thanks for quick feedback! Your comment [Jeff] made me see my error with this last one. I agree that this might be more confusing then helping and the most logical way of having this would be to only visualize between tags and notebooks as the first two scenarios aimed for.

An important aspect of this whole idea is that I can select and de-select tags/notebooks thought during the course of the scenario so that I can use this as a method of finding lost posts. So that I can de-select one of the tags I previously selected to widen my view so to say.

I really like this feature suggestion, it would be a good compromise between those people who want only those tags associated with a particular notebook to show up & those of us who prefer to have all of our tags visible for all notebooks. Although I fall into the latter camp in general (my notebooks mostly don't represent completely different topics, so many of my tags could theoretically apply to any notebook), I do have some notebooks that are a bit more topic-specific and for those it would be handy to have some way of focusing attention on the most relevant tags without messing with the basic tag structure.

I also like the idea of doing this with the tags too, I don't think it necessarily has to conflict with the dimming associated with notebooks; you won't always have a tag selected, so if you only want that notebook's tags highlighted then you just don't select any tags. Also, the two could use a different kind of highlighting/dimming that doesn't conflict, e.g. when selecting a notebook the irrelevant tags could be dimmed, and when selecting a tag the shared tags could be bolded.

Isn't this a bit like "tag intersection" back in version 2? I can't quite remember how that worked (I only used the old Evernote briefly) but if I recall correctly there was some way to see which tags were shared in the same notes.

I'm not really sure what a tag sharing another tag means, as they're discrete currently. The tag tree is visualization only at this point.

I think the OP is talking about tags which are used on other notes with that tag; say I have a note tagged "recipe, vegetarian, beans" and one tagged "recipe, snack, sweet", if I click on the tag "recipe", the tags "vegetarian, beans, snack & sweet" would all be highlighted. That's what I'm talking about, anyway!

I think the Delicious add-on for Firefox has something similar to this in the sidebar (can't remember exactly how it is implemented as I've moved over to Chrome now) if you want to see how much a feature might work.

• 4 years later...

You can also try http://infranodus.com

This app visualizes the words and the hashtags you use in your notes as a network and lets you see the most prominent ones and how they connect.

I made a post about it also on our blog, so you can look through and see if it's something you'd like: http://noduslabs.com/cases/evernote-iphone-notes-text-network-graph/

The app is free and open source (so you can install it on your computer), but to use our server version you need to contact me for an invite code. 

Archived