saved search for tag in current notebook

Arpy

Idea

Hi

I have dozens of project notebooks with lists of action items in each.  I have created a 'done' tag, and two saved searches:

open is -tag:done

done is tag:done

I would like to be able to apply such saved searches in my current notebook.  That is, click on the notebook of interest, then on my general saved search.

Currently, however, Evernote seems to require syntax like notebook:my_project tag:done.  That is, I have to put ONE of my notebooks in the saved search.  Now, it works only for that notebook. However, I would like it to work for my CURRENT notebook.

I would like to use something like notebook:CURRENT tag:done.

Tips welcome.

Thanks,

Arpy

9 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
On 12/30/2016 at 8:36 AM, Arpy said:

Thanks for moving my note to the right place.  Sounds like I can interpret your action as meaning my wish is not currently possible?

Saved searches have notebook context, so you can't do it just now in EN.  Workarounds.

1. You can create a saved search in all notes context for -tag:done and put it in the shortcuts area.  You can then use the notebook drop down in the search explanation to change notebooks.
  2. You can use something like PhraseExpress which is a text expander to add -Tag:done to the search bar in whatever context your are in.

FWIW.

• Level 5*
On 12/30/2016 at 10:15 AM, Arpy said:

I would like to use something like notebook:CURRENT tag:done.

Selecting a notebook (i.e., which is the only way I can think of to set a "current" notebook) in at least the Windows client, will narrow further searches to that notebook.

You really should mention the Evernote client that you're using, though; it saves a lot of confusion when people are trying to help you.

Yes, thanks, I agree.  Trouble is, I am using a saved search.

My choices for a saved search seem to be to include a notebook tag, which narrows the search to a particular notebook, or no notebook tag, which searches all notebooks.  I want a saved search that includes only the notebook I am in.

Yes, I can work around the limitation by typing in my complete search, with tags, for a particular notebook.  And actually, that is what I am doing.  But I would like to avoid those extra keystrokes, and use a saved search instead of dynamically typing in the whole search syntax every time.

And, if it helps, my Evernote client is 6.2.4.3244 (303244)

Thanks,

Arpy

On 1/15/2017 at 10:46 PM, csihilling said:

Saved searches have notebook context, so you can't do it just now in EN.  Workarounds.

1. You can create a saved search in all notes context for -tag:done and put it in the shortcuts area.  You can then use the notebook drop down in the search explanation to change notebooks.

FWIW.

It doesn't seem to work for me.  I have a saved search defined as tag:done.  If I select a particular project, then execute that saved search, it returns hits on all projects, not just the one I am viewing.  That is, if I do not specify a notebook, the default seems to be 'all', not 'current'.  Is there something additional I should be doing?

Thanks,

Arpy

• Level 5*

It sounds like the saved search tag:done has a context of all notes.  You have to specifically identify the notebook in a saved search if you always want that to be the context, using notebook:project.

If you have multiple project notebooks with the tag done in them I would suggest select the saved search first and then use the notebook drop down in the search explanation to pick the project notebook.

ScreenClip.png

46 minutes ago, csihilling said:

It sounds like the saved search tag:done has a context of all notes.  You have to specifically identify the notebook in a saved search if you always want that to be the context, using notebook:project.

If you have multiple project notebooks with the tag done in them I would suggest select the saved search first and then use the notebook drop down in the search explanation to pick the project notebook.

ScreenClip.png

45 minutes ago, csihilling said:

ScreenClip.png

YES!
Very nice!

thanks,

Arpy

Archived