'right click' insert date and time into note

pobo

Idea

It would be great if i could just right click on a line and press 'insert date and time' then type my note

Is this feature available?

I get a lot of calls and notes which I need to keep typing the date+time and for example a phone call note which specifically need a date and time log of the call etc  and it would be so much quicker to just do a right click insert - then type away what i needed to for that moment

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
10 minutes ago, pobo said:

It would be great if i could just right click on a line and press 'insert date and time' then type my note

The Mac shortcut to insert date is command-shift-D

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, Jay_G said:

Would be great if this could be configured somewhere that it only inserts the date. I have to delete the time part almost every time.
Could be under 'settings'...

On the Mac, command-shift-D inserts the date, configured in preferencesScreen Shot 2017-01-08 at 3.51.50 AM.png
command-option-shift-D inserts the time

• Level 5*

For Windows, you should look into the AutoHotKey application. Very useful, if you're into that sort of thing, plus it's free, free, free. I know that this has been addressed already on the forums, so you should try a forum search for "AutoHotKey" and "date", or something related.

On 8/1/2017 at 0:56 PM, DTLow said:

On the Mac, command-shift-D inserts the date, configured in preferencesScreen Shot 2017-01-08 at 3.51.50 AM.png

Thanks for the tip, but there's no such setting in the windows client...

On 8/1/2017 at 10:41 PM, jefito said:

For Windows, you should look into the AutoHotKey application. Very useful, if you're into that sort of thing, plus it's free, free, free. I know that this has been addressed already on the forums, so you should try a forum search for "AutoHotKey" and "date", or something related.

Thanks, but I'm a bit paranoid about that program. It's basically a key-logger so it could send anything to anyone. I know it's open source, but still, I'd like to avoid installing programs if i don't need to.

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, Jay_G said:

Thanks, but I'm a bit paranoid about that program. It's basically a key-logger so it could send anything to anyone. I know it's open source, but still, I'd like to avoid installing programs if i don't need to.

AutoHotKey is not a keylogger (https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/32096-does-autohotkey-contain-spyware-or-keylogger/), though a script can certainly be written to make it one ("so don't download any scripts that you aren't sure about"). For that matter, Evernote could be a keylogger, for all you know. It already has the ability to send stuff over the internet, and it can read keyboard input, so...

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 1/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, Jay_G said:

Thanks for the tip, but there's no such setting in the windows client...

Well probably not going to get date only from an EN hot key.  Another tool that creates text using a hot key is PhraseExpress.

On 1/8/2017 at 6:56 AM, DTLow said:

And I'm looking for the opposite. The answer suggests that in the Windows version the system inserts Date+Time automatically, which is exactly what I would expect and want and would kill for. Ok, that's going too far. But it would be nice if a proper timestamp (date + time) could be inserted with a single key command rather than two.

[Corollary question: if I just insert time, then, when I look at this entry tomorrow, will it show the date and time instead of just the time as it shows now? I guess I could wait till tomorrow to find out! I've been doing this manually in other ways prior to this, and am looking to move some functionality to Evernote here.]

For what it's worth, I'd like to again ask that Evernote make this a feature of the apps (Android, iOS). It is even harder to do this manually in an app with the on-screen keyboard. Reliable 3rd party apps don't see to exist, or else, they need access to everything on my device. Please, please put this simple feature into the EN apps! It could be added to the editor control bar (the one we use to insert check-boxes, for example.