Searching within Nested Tags

kylekrieg

I have an issue with searching within nested tags.  Windows client.  Version 6.4.2.3788 (303788).  Premium user.

See my two attachments.  First attachment is the search bar from when I select parent and nested tags.  Second attachment is a nested tag structure within my evernote account.  .

When I search (while the parent and nested tags are selected), the search defaults to a general search and I get results that are not in the 9 tags that are selected.  I only want to see results that are within the tags that are selected, not the keyword I search on for every note in my account.

I've tried the "tag:" parameter and it does the same thing.  

If I select a tag that doesn't have child tags under it and search on a keyword, it only searches notes with that tag, as expected behavior.  

I think I found a bug searching within nested tags?  Am I doing something wrong?

searchbar.png

memorialtags.png

• Level 5*

The search above says to find any notes that contain any of the tags.  So every note in your search result should contain at least one of the tags.  Are you saying you have notes in your search result that do not have one of the nine tags?  That should not happen.

Side note, if you have Tools - Settings - Navigation - Automatically select child tags checked, a tag search on Memorial MOB... will include all of the tags.

@csihilling - thanks for that tip about automatically selecting child tags.

You are correct.  It's searching all of my notes, not just the ones with the tags selected.  

I attached the search bar screen shot for when I select the parent and then the child tags.  As you can see it found 1599 notes, which is not correct.  There is only 72 notes in the parent and child tags that I want to search on the term "wireless".

searchbar1.png

• Level 5*

In the first example you have 1599 notes in the search result of which 1548 have the word wireless in them.  You then have 51 other notes that have one or more of the MOB tags in them.  Some of the 1548 may also have a MOB tag in them. 

In the second example, did you add/modify a note with either a MOB tag or the word wireless subsequent to the first search, the one at 7:54 AM today perhaps?  That would account for 1600 vs 1599 notes returned.

I think EN is recognizing your search.  You are asking EN to find any notes that have any of the search criteria.  Change the ANY to AND in the search and no doubt you will get 0 notes returned, unless some of your notes contain all the MOB tags and the word wireless.  AND meaning the note must have all the search criteria to be in the search results.

Thanks for keeping up with me on this one!  Appreciate it.

In the second example, did you add/modify a note with either a MOB tag or the word wireless subsequent to the first search, the one at 7:54 AM today perhaps?  That would account for 1600 vs 1599 notes returned.

Yes, I modified a note between posts, so the count went from 1599 to 1600.

In the first example you have 1599 notes in the search result of which 1548 have the word wireless in them.  You then have 51 other notes that have one or more of the MOB tags in them.  Some of the 1548 may also have a MOB tag in them. 

What I'm trying to ask EN to do, is search for the term "wireless" that ONLY are tagged with ANY of the MOB's tag in ANY notebook so I can limit my search to that project and that keyword.

If I just set up the search, it shows the correct notes (only MOB tags in all notebooks).  See below.  I want to search just that 72 note subset.  When I enter in a keyword to search, it doesn't search those 72 notes, it goes back to searching my whole notebook stack.

fullscreen2.png

• Level 5*

Again it is an ANY search when you add the word.  

To make it work, rename the one tag so it starts with MOB like the others.  At that point an AND search of tag:mob* wireless should do the trick.  Any notes containing a tag that starts with mob and also contain the text wireless will be in the results.  

• Level 5*

Sorry, but EN does not have an AND search so the capability just isn't there to do what you want.  A lot of us would like a Boolean search but EN does not have it.  Workaround is how you name your tags.  

Archived