Local notes are not opening

On my macbook, I faced a problem with my Evernote, it crashed and was not opening. Later on, I realized the problem was mainly because of a malware eating my RAM. By mistake, I moved the EN app from Applications folder to Trash bin. After that I restarted my Mac and restored my Evernote app from Trash bin. Sadly, it did not recognize my local notes. I've TimeMachine backup of my local notebooks database and I've also scanned my Mac for any infections. I use App Store Evernote app.

I see EN app creating another database of my notes while ignoring the previous one at : `~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/`

Can somebody suggest how to make Evernote recognize the local notes present in old .enspot files?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, 5iM said:

On my macbook, I faced a problem with my Evernote, it crashed and was not opening. Later on, I realized the problem was mainly because of a malware eating my RAM. By mistake, I moved the EN app from Applications folder to Trash bin. After that I restarted my Mac and restored my Evernote app from Trash bin. Sadly, it did not recognize my local notes. I've TimeMachine backup of my local notebooks database and I've also scanned my Mac for any infections. I use App Store Evernote app.

I see EN app creating another database of my notes while ignoring the previous one at : `~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote/`

Can somebody suggest how to make Evernote recognize the local notes present in old .enspot files?

When you say local notes, are you referring to Local Notebooks

If no Local Notebooks, I would simply let Evernote recreate the database from the Evernote servers

Yes, every Evernote user knows that local notes in EN can't be created without Local Notebooks. As mentioned in detail, if I re-install Evernote now, it simply re-creates the database without recreating local notes/Local Notebooks present in the original database. So now my mac osx has two EN databases in the path listed in my post above: previous one with all synchronized + local notebooks and the second (migrated/recreated one) with only synchronized notebooks but without local notebooks.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, 5iM said:

So now my mac osx has two EN databases in the path listed in my post above: previous one with all synchronized + local notebooks and the second (migrated/recreated one) with only synchronized notebooks but without local notebooks.

There are two database folders on my Mac; corresponding to my two Evernote accounts

Not sure how the folder name is derived (nnnnnn); are you sure you're not working with multiple accounts?

10 hours ago, 5iM said:

Hi @5iM, I'm going to DM you!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have faced the same problem. I see two databases in folder

/Users/{MacUser}/Library/CoreData/com.evernote.Evernote

One database has just cloud-notes, another has many *.enspot files each of then has 0 MB size. Wenn I am trying to open it in evernote I see a window for singing up with another account. In

/Users/{MacUser}/Library/Application Support/com.evernote.Evernote/accounts/www.evernote.com/{ENUser}

folder I see many folders with strange names containing old notes. I dont have any chance to import it. What can be done to restore my notes? Thanks

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, skittish said:

I have faced the same problem. I see two databases in folder

Can you provide more details as to what problems you're having?

Users don't usually access files directly in their database folder.

6 hours ago, DTLow said:

Can you provide more details as to what problems you're having?

Users don't usually access files directly in their database folder.

My problem is that I don't see any local notes after my mac shutted down because it's battery was low. It has happend without my control so I didn't close any running application (incl. EN) properly. After I restarted the mac and restore EN I don't see any notes apart sync ones. After small investigation I found two databases as I described in my previous post.

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, skittish said:

My problem is that I don't see any local notes after my mac shutted down because it's battery was low.

You were right - same problem

What I'm reading is the database got corrupted and Evernote fixed it using the master version on the servers

>>I see many folders with strange names containing old notes.

On the Mac platform, each note is stored in it's own folder.  Only the metadata is stored in the database.

This means we can do a search, and see our actual note and it's attachments.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, skittish said:

My problem is that I don't see any local notes after my mac shutted down because it's battery was low.

What I'm reading is the database got corrupted and Evernote fixed it using the master version on the servers

On the Mac platform, each note is stored in it's own folder.  Only the metadata is stored in the database.

We can even use the .enml contents file to recover a note

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

How can I do a search? In other words how can I make my local notes available in EN?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, skittish said:

How can I do a search? 

On a individual note basis, I can do a search in Finder for some phrase I know is in the note.  I can then work with the .enml contents file

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, skittish said:

It means there is no way to restore the notes in EN?

Thats all I have; you could try Evernote Support staff at  
                            Contact Evernote Support Twitter @evernotehelps

For the more technically advanced, you could look at the database and see what data is there

I'd caution everyone using Local Notebooks to have a backup process in place.
The very act in creating a local notebook says Evernote will not sync/backup these notes; I will look after them myself

11 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Thats all I have; you could try Evernote Support staff at  
                            Contact Evernote Support Twitter @evernotehelps

I'd caution everyone using Local Notebooks to have a backup process in place.
The very act in creating a local notebook says Evernote will not sync/backup these notes; I will look after them myself

Thank you!

Archived