Add Thumbnail to Side List View

I'd like to request that in a future version of the desktop program the option of adding a thumbnail to the Side List view is included. I love the Snippet view as it is easy to quickly scroll through to find something visually. However, if I want to find a particular note based on details such as creation date obviously Side View is better. I reckon combining these two views would be wonderful and really make things even easier to find!

Cheers.

• Level 5*

The reason that people use list views in general is to maximize the number of notes shown in the view. To add a usable thumbnail would make each line in the list taller, so fewer notes would be shown.Even so, they could do it, I suppose, by making a 'Thumbnail" column, which, if added, thumbnails could display in, if available.

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, JoeMD said:

I'd like to request that in a future version of the desktop program the option of adding a thumbnail to the Side List view is included. I love the Snippet view as it is easy to quickly scroll through to find something visually. However, if I want to find a particular note based on details such as creation date obviously Side View is better. I reckon combining these two views would be wonderful and really make things even easier to find!

Cheers.

Why not request adding the additional info to the snippet view and leave us side listers alone?  ScreenClip.png

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, JoeMD said:

Kind of feel like I've just been told the way I work is wrong. :/

Nah, the others are just giving you their point of view and that for them, data density is one of the key advantages of list view and adding a thumbnail would be a step back from that.  I have no problem with your request as long as the developers made it optional in the UI, since I wouldn't want it either :).  

As a first step I would prefer they let us select the image that gets used in snippet view.  Their algorithm, especially for web clips, rarely works for me.  Then they can work to optionally add it to list view :).

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, csihilling said:

Why not request adding the additional info to the snippet view and leave us side listers alone?  ScreenClip.png

Keep your cottonpickin' fingers off my snippet view, heathen. Snippet view is perfect, I tell you, plus we get Reminders!

5 hours ago, JoeMD said:

Wow. Another one. Guess I won't be asking for any changes/ additions to the software in the future.

Honestly? Nobody here has implied you're doing anything wrong.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, jefito said:

Keep your cottonpickin' fingers off my snippet view, heathen. Snippet view is perfect, I tell you, plus we get Reminders!

well now we know upon which side our bread is buttered!!!  Heathen, oh my.  Side list with left panel closed, now that's perfection!    :P

• Level 5
27 minutes ago, csihilling said:

well now we know upon which side our bread is buttered!!!  Heathen, oh my.  Side list with left panel closed, now that's perfection!    :P

Hiding the Left Panel (F10) and using the Side List View is the best way to maximize the amount of visible data 

Just awesome! 

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAIaSUp6YNZC_oyjnjbO2d9bP2fa8_KdQyo/

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, jbenson2 said:

Hiding the Left Panel (F10) and using the Side List View is the best way to maximize the amount of visible data 

Just awesome! 

http://www.evernote.com/l/AAIaSUp6YNZC_oyjnjbO2d9bP2fa8_KdQyo/

That was my preferred way of viewing until I purchased a 27" (16:9) monitor.  I wish I had done it sooner.  For me that has been an awesome upgrade, second only to the SSD upgrade I did to fix system slow down issues.  I find 27" to be the perfect size.  I can view two documents in basically 100% size side by side and I now keep all three panes of EN open.  Now that I keep the left hand pane open all the time I do find I access it more than I use to.

• Level 5*
On ‎2016‎-‎12‎-‎19 at 11:12 PM, JoeMD said:

Wow. Another one. Guess I won't be asking for any changes/ additions to the software in the future.

You have to understand that other users are keen on protecting their own interests as well as you are. In this case you are asking for changes which would impede on those users' workflow.

But what you really are (should be) asking for is an additional "view", which of course is fair.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gustavgi said:

You have to understand that other users are keen on protecting their own interests as well as you are. In this case you are asking for changes which would impede on those users' workflow.

I think that it's less a case of protecting anyone's interest, and more of a case of the fact that changes can have side-effects, and it's good to recognize what they are.

The proposed change would almost certainly affect the height of list view items (maybe all, if uniform heights are a rule for list views, but maybe different list item heights are ok, but even so), since the current list view item height is probably not tall enough to provide space for a useful thumbnail. But the flip side is that if the thumbnail column wasn't present (and that should be the default setting), it could default to the old-school configuration, and nobody's workflow would be impeded. So a side-effect, yes, but not a serious one in my opinion, since it depends on user choice as to whether new or old behavior is used.

Just so long as they leave Snippet view alone... :)

Note: Something seems weird with the voting system right now. I upvoted this, or tried to; the count stayed at 0. But when I then downvoted it, the count went to 1. Huh?

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, gazumped said:

I already reported a weirdness to Geoff about 'not available' messages when clicking on links...

Thanks; I noticed the same 'not available' problems the past couple of days myself.

Archived