Opening large .enex file - 200MB limit?

Talby

I am a Premium member. I have a large .enex file (8.9 GB) that contains all my notes from a previous account over many years. It's very important to me. I exported the .enex from my old account a while ago, and Evernote was just fine letting me export all the notes into one large .enex file. Only now I'm trying to open that file in Evernote again to import all the  notes, and I'm getting an error that says, "This action exceeds the 200MB limit. Please reduce the size of the file you're importing or upload fewer files at once." First of all, I was not aware that there was a 200MB limit. My account certainly should not have any limit, as I am a Premium member. Is this the limit for all uploads, or could there an error validating my Premium account? Second of all, if there is a limit (such as 200MB) to how much I can put into Evernote at once, then what am I supposed to do? As I said, my previous Evernote account allowed me to save the file at this size, and as far as I know there is no way to reduce the size or upload it in pieces. So how am I supposed to get my notes back?

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 4.38.20 AM.png

• Level 5*
On 12/15/2016 at 4:52 AM, Talby said:

First of all, I was not aware that there was a 200MB limit. My account certainly should not have any limit, as I am a Premium member. Is this the limit for all uploads, or could there an error validating my Premium account?

This is a note size limitation; see https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005247-What-are-the-system-limits-of-Evernote-

• Level 5*
On 2016-12-15 at 1:52 AM, Talby said:

So how am I supposed to get my notes back?

Are you able to edit the .enex file and create smailler sections and figure which record is causing a problem.
You can try this using a text editor

Hi @Talby,

Can you try using the desktop application for a Mac or Windows PC to import the .enex as a local notebook first, then move those notes to synced notebooks?

In Evernote for Mac or Windows, please try the following steps:

1. Create a new Local Notebook (File > New Notebook > Local Notebook on Mac, File > New Local Notebook on Windows)
2. With the newly created Local Notebook selected in the Notebooks view, drag the exported .enex file onto the Local Notebook's name
3. In the notes that now appear in the local notebook, move them out individually into your desired synced notebooks

I hope this helps. Please let me know how this works out for you.

• 1 year later...

I know this post is a little old, but I ran into the same problem as @Talby and can confirm that the solution of @BSR works - kinda.

1: Yes it imports my notes, but everything is now in a single notebook and that is no good - to me that defeats the purpose of exporting Evernote files. 

2: I can still search and in the future I must remember to back up notebooks by themselves if I have a need for that.

• Level 5*
On 2018-03-24 at 2:08 PM, Jeff Kranenburg said:

Yes it imports my notes, but everything is now in a single notebook and that is no good - to me that defeats the purpose of exporting Evernote files. 

This is a known limitation of the .enex export/import feature; by design, notebook data is not maintained.
If this is important, some users compensate by using separate exports for each notebook.

Archived