Unable to copy/paste text from pdf

I'm suddenly unable to copy text from a pdf (open in Mac Preview) and paste it into Evernote.  Neither ctrl-v or using paste from the Evernote menu works.  As a PhD student who needs to take notes from articles and books this is rather problematic - my work around is to paste the text into a Word document, then copy it out of there to paste into Evernote which works well but is incredibly cumbersome.  Any thoughts?

• Level 5*
21 hours ago, ashleygshaw said:

I'm suddenly unable to copy text from a pdf (open in Mac Preview) and paste it into Evernote

I was able to replicate the problem.

No idea of why, but it seems to be a Preview thing.  No issue if you use Acrobat Reader

edited: Paste-and-match-style seems to work

The fix for this will be in an upcoming EN Mac beta, 6.11 beta 2.

To switch to the beta track, go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update and check the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

You'll then be notified in app when the beta version is released. Likewise, you can manually check for updates by going to Help > Check for Updates in the app or by checking for updates in our forum here.

Once you have updated, if you no longer want to continue on the beta track, go back and uncheck the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2016 at 11:22 AM, BSR said:

The fix for this will be in an upcoming EN Mac beta, 6.11 beta 2.

To switch to the beta track, go to Evernote > Preferences > Software Update and check the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

You'll then be notified in app when the beta version is released. Likewise, you can manually check for updates by going to Help > Check for Updates in the app or by checking for updates in our forum here.

Once you have updated, if you no longer want to continue on the beta track, go back and uncheck the box next to "Update to beta versions when available".

There is no "Software Update" or "Update to beta versions when available" under preferences in the EN app on mac.  Additionally, there is no "Check for Updates" under "help".  This is frustrating. I'm bran-new to EN and a premium member.  I find it impossible to believe that I can search a pdf in evernote, but can't copy any text from that pdf in order to paste it in a word doc/google doc/whatever.  I can do this in google drive in quick view mode without even opening adobe acrobat. What good does it do to me to store my research in EN if I can't do anything with it  other than look at it and draw arrows on it? Please help.

@Carl Trujillo - It sounds like you've downloaded the Evernote application from the Mac App Store. To see the option to update Evernote from within the Evernote application, and have the option to update to the beta, you'll need to reinstall the direct download version of Evernote.

To reinstall the direct download version of Evernote for Mac, follow these steps:

1. If Evernote is running, press Command + Q to quit the Evernote app
  2. Open the Applications folder and drag Evernote to the Trash
  3. Right-click (or Ctrl + Click) on the Trash and select Empty Trash
  4. Restart your computer
  5. Download and install Evernote for Mac from http://www.evernote.com/download
  6. Drag the Evernote icon into your Applications folder
  7. Open Evernote and log in to your Evernote account
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, Sherlockian said:

Has this issue been resolved yet without having to reinstall the direct download version?

v6.11 is still in beta, and only available with direct download

2 minutes ago, DTLow said:

v6.11 is still in beta, and only available with direct download

Ok thanks. It's just that it's been at least 2 months since this has been reported and I'm surprised that there hasn't been a permanent fix yet for such an essential feature that was working fine before. 

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, Sherlockian said:

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a permanent fix yet

It is subject to change, but I'm comfortable the fix is permanent in v6.11

Theres no estimate when this will be out of beta but it's imminent

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a user who is using Windows 10 and installed the newest version available (6.11.2) and is having and issue with scanning a document and then copying it from the preview window and pasting it to another application, such as MS Outlook.  He was able to do the same function on his older laptop (Windows 7 64-bit) with an older version (6.7.5 - i believe).  The newer version allows you to right click + copy, but when you go to paste there is no option.  So it seems the cut/copy functions are not actually working and going to the clipboard.  

I apologize if this might be the wrong thread to pose this issue , but if it is not could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Turrell J said:

I have a user who is using Windows 10 and installed the newest version available (6.11.2) and is having and issue with scanning a document and then copying it from the preview window and pasting it to another application, such as MS Outlook.  He was able to do the same function on his older laptop (Windows 7 64-bit) with an older version (6.7.5 - i believe).  The newer version allows you to right click + copy, but when you go to paste there is no option.  So it seems the cut/copy functions are not actually working and going to the clipboard.  

I apologize if this might be the wrong thread to pose this issue , but if it is not could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

There is a new beta - 6.12 - which fixes some of the issues 6.11 users were having;  don't know whether that would be the answer here.  If you've checked that these are genuinely searchable documents,  and there's no security protecting them,  there are no work-arounds I could suggest.  The only options would be to wait for a general release of 6.12 (timescale unknown),  use the beta (not advised on work documentation) - or step back to 6.7.5. 

Stepping back isn't a big issue as long as the current version is synced up to date and (preferably) the existing database folder (Tools > Options > General for the location) is copied to the desktop on the same device just in case (File > Exit Evernote first).  Then uninstall the current version,  and download / reinstall 6.7.5

To avoid notices about updates for this user,  go to Tools > Options > General again and untick the auto-check for updates.

Archived