Keyboard shortcut for 'duplicate note'

gazumped

Idea

• Level 5*

Don't know if this is a Windows-only thing,  but despite various "Ctrl+<x>" shortcuts in the desktop client,  Duplicate Note doesn't have one. 

Now I use Templates quite extensively in a couple of notebooks,  and the thing about templates is:  you need to create a duplicate every time you use one. 

So instead of the painstaking mouse rightclick > Duplicate Note process I go through each time,  I'd like a keyboard shortcut to generate a copy on the fly please - and maybe even an option to set the number of copies to more than one? 

My phone note & meeting processes will thank you.  ;)

(Edit: and yes,  I have thought about AHK and Phrase Express and am currently wearing that t-shirt;  but still...)

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Even better -- and not to piggyback too much -- an operation to duplicate a note (such as from my Templates notebook) into a different notebook (such as my Todo notebook). If it had a hotkey, so much the better.

Edit: an operation to duplicate a note into a different notebook, and make the new note current (so that I don't wind up editing in the template)

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Don't know if this is a Windows-only thing,  but despite various "Ctrl+<x>" shortcuts in the desktop client,  Duplicate Note doesn't have one. 

In the Mac world, if we want a keyboard shortcut to a menu item, we simply assign it
- its an OS level feature
Which doesn't help me on other platforms (iPad, Web)

More than a keyboard shortcut, I'd request Evernote implement a template process that works cross platform

• Level 5*

Plus there's Copy Note to... and Duplicate Note (in the Windows client) - and the option of exporting a template to ENEX and creating new notes from there.  Seems like a lot of duplication in the (sorry) duplication process.  OK I'll accept any votes here for 'make using templates easier/ better'...  Any views Evernote?  (I know.. rarely comment,  blah blah...^_^)

• Level 5*

Luddite that I am, the double click the ENEX on the desktop (containing 1 or more copies to be created) still works well, just lacks target notebook.  And so many other fish in the sea...  :(

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Luddite that I am, the double click the ENEX on the desktop (containing 1 or more copies to be created) still works well, just lacks target notebook. 

@BSR just mentioned an interesting feature
If you drag the .enex file to a notebook the import uses that notebook
Works on my Mac

• Level 5*

Yeah, but if you don't have the left panel open no notebooks to which to drag.  :(

So easier to double click the ENEX, hit the INBOX shortcut and work the note with the last step being Notebook assign.  For me anyway.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, csihilling said:

Yeah, but if you don't have the left panel open no notebooks to which to drag.  :(

So easier to double click the ENEX, hit the INBOX shortcut and work the note with the last step being Notebook assign.  For me anyway.

In the Mac world, we get a new Notebook created
Not only do I have to clean up the note, I have to delete the notebook

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, DTLow said:

In the Mac world, we get a new Notebook created
Not only do I have to clean up the note, I have to delete the notebook

Ugh.  A plus for Windows version....  and another why isn't it the same in the desktop platforms opportunities.

Archived