Evernote not saving

This is a crazy problem for an app that's only job is to save notebooks, but the iOS version of Evernote that I'm using just isn't saving my stuff. I open the app, type something in one of my notes, then push the home button and go into another app, and when I come back to Evernote, the stuff I wrote is gone. Or I simply go back to the Evernote main screen and then tap back into my note and the stuff I just wrote isn't there. The only solution I've found so far is to copy whatever I've written, close out of the note, and then open it again; if whatever I just wrote wasn't saved I paste it back in, close the note again, open it again, and repeat this process until the changes are saved. I have no idea why Evernote decides to save the changes--all I know is that it successfully saves my changes less than half of the time, which is, needless to say, incredibly annoying. Any ideas? 

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, weilian said:

...the iOS version of Evernote that I'm using just isn't saving my stuff.

Syncing is automatic for me, although I force a sync if I'm switching devices

If you click on the sync icon, do you still lose your update?

2 hours ago, DTLow said:

Syncing is automatic for me, although I force a sync if I'm switching devices

If you click on the sync icon, do you still lose your update?

I don't see a sync button anywhere when I've got the note open in iOS...

3 minutes ago, csihilling said:

Sync button is on the home screen, though IOS notes should sync soon after you exit them.

Yes, it should. The problem is....it doesn't! And by the time I've clicked back to the home screen my notes are already lost, so...this suggestion doesn't help. 

• Level 5*
9 minutes ago, weilian said:

Yes, it should. The problem is....it doesn't! And by the time I've clicked back to the home screen my notes are already lost, so...this suggestion doesn't help. 

Definitely a serious error

I'd recommend deleting and reinstalling the app

Reboot your device too

If you want to troubleshoot the problem, you could look at your Activity Log

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

I'm having the same problem when working on my laptop. I would have lost all the data from a critically important job if I hadn't had the foresight to save it as a separate Word file first, independently of EN.

Who would 'want to troubleshoot the problem'? As a user, we don't want the problem in the first place! EN should at least save the data on the hard drive for a while.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Rod W said:

Who would 'want to troubleshoot the problem'? As a user, we don't want the problem in the first place! EN should at least save the data on the hard drive for a while.

"Troubleshoot" as in provide information to try to figure out what happened so that 1) it doesn't happen to you again and 2) possibly provide clues to Evernote to fix any bugs that come out your experience.  Nobody wants bugs, but they're a part of most non-trivial software. Information helps the developers to isolate and fix them.

Note that the desktop Evernote applications (Windows and Mac) do save your notes to your hard drive.

• Like 1

I've had some issues with sync not working properly both today and about a week ago - using an iPad and iPhone. Manually syncing it did not actually cause it to sync. In both cases, about 30 minutes later everything was okay. Makes me wonder if something is going on server side.

2 hours ago, jefito said:

Note that the desktop Evernote applications (Windows and Mac) do save your notes to your hard drive.

Thanks for the response.

That wasn't my experience yesterday when using laptop Windows EN on the train with good WiFi. I tried syncing several times before shutting down, but today when I opened my laptop, my most recent changes were missing. 

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Rod W said:

The installed version.

Hmmn.  Even without a reliable web connection your changes should have been saved to your local hard drive and synced at the next opportunity.

There is a possibility that if you noticed the loss of recent data on another device,  it was because either the laptop had not then had chance to sync its changes to the server and so your then access to the notes counted as a later change and superceded the new data,  or it may have been that while the laptop synced to the server,  your 'other' device had not down-synced the new versions.

Did you have a look in the note's history (under the 'i' icon) to see whether your changes had been saved as some earlier content?

If none of that helps,  I really would suggest raising a support ticket - the more of these edge cases Evernote hears about,  the more likely they are to be able to build in protections against them.

Thanks gazumped.

Since my changes weren't on either my Windows PC or iPhone, I restarted my laptop hoping to find the changes where I'd made them, and they weren't there either! I was so glad that I'd copied and pasted them to Word and saved it, based on my reading of other users' complaints about this matter.

I'd love to have the time to open a support ticket, but I'd hope that Evernote employees might be monitoring this forum too. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Rod W said:

I'd hope that Evernote employees might be monitoring this forum too

With whatever percentage of help requests they get from 230M+ users,  I think the Support team don't have much time either.  They wait to be contacted directly before they can look into individual issues. 

Evernote staff do read the forums,  but the bare facts of 'lost data' don't help them identify the reason for this particular incident - evidence my suggesting a couple of different scenarios which might have played out.  Hopefully (in a weird way) this will happen to someone else so they can report details and maybe answer questions to zone in on what might be the cause - then the developers will be able to do something about it.

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, Gianni1337 said:

this renders the app basically useless, i'll start watching for an alternative

You seem to be stuck in a loop