More intuitive way to save a search

Ian Lai

Idea

Perhaps when you click on the search box, in the dropdown box that appears, it can show a button/UI element somewhere that allows you to save the current search.  Maybe a plus sign next to "Saved Searches"?

My problem is that I save searches infrequently enough that I forget how, and then I have to look it up online.  Digging through the menu bar (currently in Edit > Find) is not terribly intuitive.

Thanks!

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Ian Lai said:

Perhaps when you click on the search box, in the dropdown box that appears, it can show a button/UI element somewhere that allows you to save the current search.  Maybe a plus sign next to "Saved Searches"?

My problem is that I save searches infrequently enough that I forget how, and then I have to look it up online.  Digging through the menu bar (currently in Edit > Find) is not terribly intuitive.

Thanks!

I rarely save searches, so I have to google it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

The Windows client used to have a picture of a magnifying glass with a plus sign that popped up next to searches and you could save any search just by clicking on it. but they removed that, and I couldn't begin to tell you how to save a search.

Actually, I don't know without googling how to USE a saved search in the Windows client, because unlike the Mac client, it doesn't list saved seaerches in the dropdown.

Maybe they are getting rid of that feature, pushing it deeper and deeper into obscurity until they remove it and no one notices.

Kinda like reminders. You can set 'em. But you'll never see 'em unless you are watching your machine when they go off and don't look away for 10 seconds.

• Level 5*

I wouldn't say that saved searches in Windows are buried, but it is different now.  It has its own section in the left hand pane.  It is below the tag section so if you have a lot of tags and keep that section expanded you will probably never notice saved searches.  Mouse hover over Saved searches will expose the + and the magnifying glass for saving your current search criteria, or searching the list.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

I wouldn't say that saved searches in Windows are buried, but it is different now.

My left hand pane has 30 notebooks, give or take, and over 500 tags. So that area you speak of is about 20-25 screens down.

Textbook definition of "buried." ;)

The Mac version has it right. Start typing a search and a dropdown of saved searches shows up It just needs the magnifying and PLUS symbol when creating a search.

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, EdH said:

My left hand pane has 30 notebooks, give or take, and over 500 tags. So that area you speak of is about 20-25 screens down.

Or you could click on the triangle next to notebooks and next to tags to collapse those lists ;)

You seemed to imply intentionally hidden to discourage use ... I wouldn't go that far but I do agree it could be improved.   For at least finding saved searches there is also Quick Search, Ctrl Q, but I don't know any other way to create a saved search.  For the few that I use often I create shortcuts that put them in the top of the left hand menu ... FWIW

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

Or you could click on the triangle next to notebooks and next to tags to collapse those lists 

You mean the lists taht I use constantly? Why would I do that?

5 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

You seemed to imply intentionally hidden to discourage use

I am not implying anything. I am adamantly stating it is poorly designed for anyone that uses tags and notebooks.

• Level 5*

In Windows if you use the Ctrl+Q option to start a search,  recent and saved searches are listed there.  And I didn't remember they're also at the bottom of the left-panel list!  So much information,  so little space....  ^_^

Archived