Easy "Back-Up" Button

SueO

Idea

I held a recent Evernote workshop and the predominent question was "so how do I easily back-up all the material I've put into Evernote".  Good question and I'd love to provide a super easy answer like..... "Evernote has thought of that so here is the easy back-up button"

Thanks

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

If you google Evernote Backup, you will find many, many other people have the same question.

Protecting (and more importantly - restoring) your Evernote from nasty stuff like lockscreen ransomware or encryption ransomware is not easy.

"Creating a backup" is tedious but possible, especially if you are skilled in computer coding. But "Restoring a backup" is a different kettle of fish. From my understanding, the problem with a simple easy process (such as copying and restoring the previously backed up .EXB file in Windows) is that a restoration using your backup will be completely overwritten by the more recent information stored in the Evernote cloud when you sync.  So you have to resort to a more complex system of exporting .enex files on an individual, tedious Notebook by Notebook basis (ugh). Or export to HTML files for use with a different program.  

Here is Evernote's help information - good luck.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313528-How-to-back-up-and-restore-your-data-in-Evernote-for-Windows

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, SueO said:

I held a recent Evernote workshop and the predominent question was "so how do I easily back-up all the material I've put into Evernote".  Good question and I'd love to provide a super easy answer like..... "Evernote has thought of that so here is the easy back-up button"

Evernote automatically syncs your material from your device to the Evernote servers and devices
- That is one level of backup - in case your device malfunctions

Evernote automatically maintains an archive called Note History
- That is another level of backup - in case note content accidently gets deleted

Evernote has an export feature
- I use it to maintain a backup on a cloud drive

• Level 5

Even the big guys can be hit by ransomware:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/11/28/san-francisco-metro-hack-meant-free-rides-saturday/94545998/

• If you are hit by ransomware, the automatic sync to Evernote servers will be trashed as well
  • If you are hit by ransomware, the Note History will also be trashed.
  • Exporting notebook-by-notebook is tedious if one does not have software coding skills to automate the process.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, jbenson2 said:

Exporting notebook-by-notebook is tedious if one does not have software coding skills to automate the process.

I'm using AppleScript on my Mac (mad coding skills) but there are third party apps
- Backupery on Windows
- cloudHQ for any environment

• Level 5
53 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm using AppleScript on my Mac (mad coding skills) but there are third party apps
- Backupery on Windows
- cloudHQ for any environment

Backupery costs $30 each year, but does seem to have a robust restoration process.

https://www.backupery.com/how-to-restore-your-evernote-notes-using-backupery-for-evernote/

I'm not sure cloudHQ can get around the tedious notebook-by-notebook export process.

Archived