Option to disable the message "You are leaving Evernote." on external links

kmae

Idea

On 1/26/2017 at 3:01 PM, kirob said:

If you use google chrome, here is a temporary fix.

Install https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/custom-javascript-for-web/poakhlngfciodnhlhhgnaaelnpjljija

Add this script:

$(function(){$('#continueToDest').click();});

Thanks a bunch for this, it worked perfectly for me. I would suggest others follow this workaround in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You (bdavis) and many others, I imagine.

The four pages of requests for this "feature" to be removed speak for themselves.

Expect nothing. Then, if Evernote does something, you will be pleasantly surprised.

This is too damn frustrating can't we just mark a preference or user agreement that says: "Don't show this message again" and move on with our lives? It might seem like just a click but to a web developer it's actually hundreds of clicks a week.

I signed on to this forum only to complain about this feature. So yeah, it does get in the way of workflow if I'm willing to take time out of my day to add my opinion. to this thread.

• Like 2
On 12/22/2016 at 5:16 AM, Harristribe said:

Hi All,

I too am very frustrated with this new *feature* and decided to find a work around until Evernote give us the option to disable this feature (although I suspect that they have introduced it to gather statistics so may never will).

[Deleted]

Hope that helps

Rob

A thousand blessings on you and all your descendants.

jkh

Chiming in to add to the comment count, in hopes Evernote will address this. 

If I put a link in a note, chances are I know what it is and want to go there, right?

So there's really no need for the warning. It just interrupts flow. Bad UX.

I'm using a Chromebook more and more, so living in the Web version of Evernote, making this a productivity suck.

• Like 3

There's absolutely no any logic in "You are leaving Evernote" tab feature! This feature is needed on forums where unknown member suggests to go to some links. In this case system could warn that you're leaving the forum and admins are not responsible for contents of those links!

In case when you create a note and you paste links into the notes, it's meant that those links are 100% verified by you! You created a note, you found links and you pasted them into the note! Not somebody unknown!

That's why "You are leaving Evernote" tab is absolutely useless for Evernote !

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
11 hours ago, qwavel said:

I wonder if it is related to the changes they made to their terms-of-service about a month ago

The changes (now dropped) were due to be introduced on 23 January,  and were opt-outable; so difficult to see how a web service detail change could be related,  or what benefit it would confer.

this is about data mining their customers behaviour

No,  it's not.  Evernote has repeatedly assured customers that it won't use their data for any other purpose than to provide a better service to the user.  And third-party services already exist that can invisibly track what web page users came from,  and which page they're going to.  Evernote had no reason to make an obvious change for that purpose.

It's hard to see why else they would do something that so clearly reduces usability, has no other obvious utility, and wasn't necessary until around the time they changed their TOS.

On the other hand if a lawyer somewhere said - 'we're exposed if someone mistakenly saves a malicious link in a note and then clicks on the link in a note and is subsequently virussed / hacked / trolled as a result.  We'd better make it clear that wherever they're going,  it's nothing to do with us...'

It's even possible that someone,  somewhere deliberately published an Evernote note with a malicious link to give it false credibility by association.

So:  no reason for them to do anything at all,  really.  But I agree it's serious pain.  Maybe they could include a 'don't show this warning again' option?

Normally I might be more understanding of a slow response to this issue if it were buried amongst other, more pressing requests or if we represented a very small minority (unlikely, though not impossible) but considering that this is the highest upvoted thread under "Web Product Feedback" coupled with the complete silence on EN's end, I have to say I'm quite disappointed in this instance. Not enough to do anything drastic or whine incessantly, but disappointed nonetheless. You would think a "fix" for this would be quite easy to implement as well.

Funny to see how the 'You are leaving Evernote' message becomes something of a prophecy. Evernote has continuously decreased in both speed and functionality over the last couple of years. Today I was bothered by this annoying 'feature' once again and wanted to check for a setting to disable it. Instead I discovered this thread, going on for over a year now without even an official response. Really shows how detached from its aim and users Evernote has become.

Moving to Simplenote for my main note program, Evernote will remain a backup for the graphic notes for a while but if somebody has a better alternative please let me know.

I found a trick to bypass the alert page.

Right click on a link then select "Open Link in a New Tab" (or Window, Private Window) from the context menu.

image.png.f009f17d9c8e5b7ab522f8ff6cbef83d.png

It requires a few steps but is quicker than navigating the alert page with a mouse / trackpad or hitting Tab several times.

Shortcuts in Windows on Firefox

• "Right click" + "t" + "Enter" will open in a new tab
  • "Right click" + "w" will open in a new window
  • "Right click" + "p" + "Enter" will open in a new private window

Chrome, MacOS and LInux may have slightly different combinations but it could be committed to muscle memory... I suppose.

• Like 3

Ironically as the original poster of this solution I have since moved on from Evernote (and believe me I’ve tried them all – including Keep). I’ve finally settled on a good compromise in the form of Joplin (https://joplinapp.org/). Joplin is an open source Evernote replacement that does indeed support Markdown.  It doesn’t do everything that Evernote does (for example you can have nested Notebooks but not nested tag hierarchies) however it can be installed or run standalone (off a usb stick etc.), can sync to a simple folder location (I use google drive to sync between computer) and supports client side encryption (so google can’t see what’s inside your notes) – oh and its free 😊

May not work for your individual needs but definitely worth giving it a try.

Rob

• Like 2

Ironically - after many years as a premium user - I have let my premium subscription run out. Like the previous poster, I have moved to the open source Joplin (https://joplinapp.org/).

To sync between computers and android phones and tablets I use https://syncthing.net/.  I have a raspberry pi with an usb running syncthing 24h so i can always sync whatever machine I'm using, wherever I am, without relying on a cloud provider and worrying about privacy.

No, it's not about engagement.

This is about the danger of someone sending you to an Evernote page (a public or shared note), and then placing a link that makes it seem like you're still inside Evernote but actually takes you outside. For instance, a link that takes you to a fake Evernote login page where you might enter your username and password which they will then steal.

But you're right that if you're within your own private note, there's probably no good reason to protect links this way. 

... But this would require someone:

• Handling these different scenarios separately.
  • Caring about improving basic UX instead of adding new features nobody asked for.

Meanwhile, here we are in a Forum where the only people not ignoring our requests are these Evernote Forum stans that tell you you're wrong because they don't care about the same things you do, and that act as if people expressing their personal frustrations somehow threaten their own sense of identity. So, the only thing I can say to all this: hope you have happy holidays and a nice start of the year.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  There are at least two other threads on this -

and

I'll move this thread to a feedback area so all in favor can vote (top left of the window) to signify their frustration - the more votes,  the more likely we'll get some action soon...

• Like 1

Unhappy Premium User - Not likely to renew subscription

OK, it's been a few days now and this drives me crazy something like ten times in every hour of every day. This is making my work untenable.

Has anyone seen ANY user write a post supporting this change?  

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, JulianM said:

Has anyone seen ANY user write a post supporting this change?  

Nope - we all think it's dumb.  Hopefully when Evernote get through with the migration and the current spitstorm over privacy issues they'll take a look at this.  Meantime every vote counts!  (Top left of this page)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
17 minutes ago, qwavel said:

+1

(Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to 'follow' this thread without replying to it.)

Top right of the thread,  opposite the voting box.  The circled icon says 'Follow' if you're not yet following it (if you follow me.  Sorry.)

ScreenClip [3].png

@gazumped

Thanks, but I saw that and I'm pretty sure that that button just said 'followers 6' and didn't have the checkmark before I replied.  I clicked on it and it just showed me a list of who was following (I made sure I was signed in).  I looked closely and didn't see anything about or around that button that would allow me to follow before I had replied.

Once I replied I got quite a different set of options when I click that button - like in your screenshot.

On the other hand, I can see from your status that you know this system pretty well...

• Like 1

We are all "reaching out" to Evernote, which seems to be the latest corporate-speak for "email". It just sounds so emotional doesn't it? Reach out. Wow!

But you can do all the reaching you want, Evernote is hiding in a cupboard.

Enjoy your Christmas in there, Evernote!

• Like 1

I don't seem to have the right to vote for the moment...Evernote team's revenge? :)

Enjoy Christmas Gazumped! 

(PS I had no idea about all that privacy stuff. I always feel like it's a battle we have lost whatever happens...but it seems not.)

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Glennie said:

I don't seem to have the right to vote for the moment...

Nope I had probems too.  Have reported it - the 'up' clicker doesn't work,  but the 'down' arrow does.  I think one of the hamsters is having a holiday...^_^

Merry Christmas!

• Like 1
On 12/22/2016 at 1:16 PM, Harristribe said:

Hi All,

I too am very frustrated with this new *feature* and decided to find a work around until Evernote give us the option to disable this feature (although I suspect that they have introduced it to gather statistics so may never will).

However, if like me you use Google Chrome this works quite well:

1. Install a Google Chrome extension called TamperMonkey (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo/related)
  2. Open up the TamperMonkey settings (Left click on the new icon shown top right in chrome)
  3. Create a new script and past in the code shown below (copy paste everything in blue)

The TamperMonkey extension allows us to inject and run our own Javascript on page load. The @inlcude bit in the script below tells TamperMonkey to only run this script on any pages that have a URL that starts with https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action. The script then grabs the target destination (i.e. the link we want to show) and tells the browser to immediately redirect there (bypassing the need to press evernotes continue button).

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Evernote Outbound Clicker
// @namespace   http://harristribe.co.uk/
// @version      1.0
// @description  Avoids the evernote outbound page 
// @author       Rob Harris
// @include     https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action*
// @grant        none
// @run-at       document-start
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
    'use strict';

var urlParams = new URLSearchParams(window.location.search);
    window.location.href = urlParams.get('dest');
})();

Hope that helps

Rob

Thank you, Rob! Also, I can confirm that your script's working flawlessly under Firefox 50 with Greasemonkey extension!

But this solution fails if your work flow includes sending many notes with a lot of links to different people! But, thanks anyway! At least, it's a good fit for my personal use!

Evernote---please do something about this.  Really annoying, and is counterproductive to whatever reason you think you need this feature in the product.

Thanks in advance for reconsidering.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, JulianM said:

"You are leaving Evernote" - yes, I will be: June 2017 when my premium account is scheduled to renew.

are they really not reading the comments in the forum?

My renew due is this August. That's when this accounts ends. I've already migrated my notes to Onenote. It's already over, evernote!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, JulianM said:

3 hours ago, Achalasia said:

It's already over, evernote!

Evernote is already working on a new web version to replace the old one - https://blog.evernote.com/tech/2016/10/17/bringing-micro-services-to-the-client-side-project-ion-and-micro-components

I'd imagine they think it's better to fix more than one problem at a time by releasing the new new version in the next few months,  rather than waste resources to go back and apply sticking plaster to the old one.

I'm sure they read the comments so far,  and noted the points total above.  They don't (usually) react to comment other than by releasing a new version in due course with appropriate fixes.

I'm sure someone will comment here when this gets fixed,  if you're still interested by then...

7 hours ago, JulianM said:

"You are leaving Evernote" - yes, I will be: June 2017 when my premium account is scheduled to renew.

They are, but late at night under the sheets in bed, secretly. And they don't tell each other. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Achalasia said:

My renew due is this August. That's when this accounts ends. I've already migrated my notes to Onenote. It's already over, evernote!

It would be interesting to know how much revenue Evernote has lost due to customer dissatisfaction with the Web version and its apparent unwillingness to acknowledge that dissatisfaction. 

• Like 1

It's pretty hard to understand why they would have made this change in the first place.

I wonder if it is related to the changes they made to their terms-of-service about a month ago - that they got in so much trouble for.

In other words, that this is about data mining their customers behaviour - making a record of which links we click on.

It's hard to see why else they would do something that so clearly reduces usability, has no other obvious utility, and wasn't necessary until around the time they changed their TOS.

I suspect this is a poorly conceived security feature in case someone shares a note or link with you and it leads to a fake evernote site.  It would be far far better for them to force the text "such and such site (external site)" into the original link.  You can also put an icon next to it that indicates it's an external site.  You can also include a "do not show this message again" checkbox.  You could also make the "leaving evernote" page just show for 1-3 seconds and then take you to the desired site..  This is aggravating and really reduces the usefulness of evernote.

The fact that there is total silence from Evernote about this is noteworthy. The cheek of the company simply beggars belief. If it's raining they just won't come out to play.

The best we can hope for is for Scruggles to appear all of a sudden to say "Thanks for the heads up!". 

laughing-animals2.jpg

Now that really would be funny.

Evernote: the land of the workaround

Thanks @kirob, I installed that and it seems to work fine.

There is still some delay though, and I do not consider this an ideal resolution to the problem - I prefer to keep my extensions to a minimum - so I will keep hoping that EN reverses this silliness.

It is now very unlikely that EN will fix anything on the WEB version.

There is a general recognition that it has been a disaster for many users and the company is not likely to invest any time or money fixing it. It is history. A dead man walking.

It remains here because something has to be here. EN can't just withdraw the product like washing powder from supermarket shelves.

As the great and good Gazumped has informed us in other parts of the forum, a brand new 3rd web version is expected some time this year.

Until then the only point in writing here is to express your anger or to ask for or offer a workaround (as EN is not doing very much to help us, we are doing a very good job of helping each other. Bravo!)

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, John Fagan said:

How did this feature get onto your product backlog?

?? since it also just appeared in Facebook I assume that some regulation or 'best practice' deal just came into force for websites accessing third-party links,

For Evernote to degrade the service like this, without any explanation, is pretty nasty IMO.

I often use Evernotes for research, so my notes are full of links that I'm frequently clicking on - so this change really affects me!

And just switching to another product is not easy - I've been a paid user for many years and have a huge amount on Evernote.

I've implemented the 'custom javascript' hack noted above, and it helps a little, but it is slow so the change still really slows me down 

So now I wait for the redesign, with fingers crossed, hoping they address this problem.  At least they could allow paying customers to turn it off via a setting.

Found an easy way around this if you use a mouse that has a clickable scroll wheel. Clicking with the scroll wheel opens the hyperlink in a new tab and the 'youre leaving Evernote' message doesn't appear for me (using chrome).

Does that work for other people too?

• Like 1
On 13/02/2017 at 6:15 PM, qwavel said:

For Evernote to degrade the service like this, without any explanation, is pretty nasty IMO.

They don't "do" explanations very often. Their PR section is run by a hamster.

They prefer to spend their time working on their infantile "looks good, tastes of nothing" blog, developing subjects like "Note taking - an important  skill" or "My bakery franchise owes a lot to Evernote". 

There is the occasional message from the Evernote team. They are easy to find: just scan for the words like "excited" or "helmed".

• Like 1

This thread is taking on War and Peace proportions! What an epic!

Unfortunately, there is no actual development in the narrative:  complaint...silence.....complaint....silence....complaint ......

Our only hope! The new very under-documented Web version which we are all expecting to i) cure all infectious diseases ii) make Rogan Josh to order iii) look after our plants while we go on holiday and iv) not send us messages about the blindingly obvious.

P.S. There is now a reward for anyone providing information that might lead to the discovery of the whereabouts of Scruggles. She is wearing an identifying chip and was last seen in this area...a long time ago.

Warning:  because of this issue I was not planning to renew my EN subscription - it just auto-renewed for a year.

You get no warning it is going to renew and there is nothing you can change or set in your account ahead of time, and they increased the amount by 1/3!

Make sure you put a warning in your calendar about this !

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, qwavel said:

Warning:  because of this issue I was not planning to renew my EN subscription - it just auto-renewed for a year.

You get no warning it is going to renew and there is nothing you can change or set in your account ahead of time, and they increased the amount by 1/3!

Make sure you put a warning in your calendar about this !

If you have any doubts about maintaining your subscription or want to change the account you have,  go to your account page online.  Look for Manage Your Subscription and make whatever changes you require.  If you downgrade to basic (forinstance) that will happen at the expiry of your current subscription.  You can change that at any time.

(If you happen to be paying via iTunes,  you'd need to talk to them about stopping or reducing further payments.)

Ironically I've been annoyed by similar messages generated in other software - most recently Excel - where clicking an Evernote link to my local database also gets an 'are you sure' warning.  Annoying.

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

If you downgrade to basic (forinstance) that will happen at the expiry of your current subscription. 

Ah, very useful info, thanks!   Now that I've paid for another year I was wary of down-grading ahead of time.

I've recently been experimenting with alternatives to EN because of the link warning issue and have found that a combination of workflowy and google docs works well for me.  None of the tools I've tried exhibit this obnoxious new behavior:  with all of them I just click a link and go straight to the link destination!

I'm very sad that EN has gone into this 'milk existing customers' mode - and it will take a lot of work for me to move away fully - but the way my account got renewed just re-confirms for me the need to move to something else.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

As long as you are still Premium,  you could raise the message thing with Evernote Support and maybe get some idea if and when they plan to fix it - don't know that anyone has received a specific response as yet,  and they might have something in the pipeline for an update soon.  I imagine this is one of those 'if it were easy they would have done it already' things,  hence the delay.

Support are via https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (premium subscribers can chat from the same link) - or anyone can message them on Twitter via https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

5 hours ago, gazumped said:

I imagine this is one of those 'if it were easy they would have done it already' things,  hence the delay.

This has to be easy to fix.  I say that both as a developer and because it is a behavior that they added one day that appears to be independent of any other behaviors - so all they would have to do is back out those changes.

I've been test driving Dropbox Paper for the last month.  It's not an Evernote replacement yet, but it has a lot of features some of us have been wanting for a long time.

- Tables that work

- Timestamps

- Headers

- Automatic TOC based on headers

Just to name a few.

Infuriating is correct! How do I disable this stupid thing? I've been using the public links and sharing notes with people that way sometimes, and because of this stupid "you're now leaving evernote" message everyone thinks that the links are broken, which is creating a whole bunch of work for me to try to explain, follow up, etc. 

HOW DO I DISABLE THIS?????? 

• Level 5*

I agree it's really annoying but I'm getting the same prompt on other websites,  so it may not exactly be an Evernote initiative.  See the thread so far for any suggestions - and I'd suggest you talk to Support for an individual response from the company..

The 'you are leaving' message is considered standard practice right now. Definitely annoying when you are quite sure where you want to go to, but certainly a useful reminder to those who might not be aware of being taken to another site.

I can also remember those days when airport screening was not part of the air ticket.:)

1 hour ago, JohnLongney said:

The 'you are leaving' message is considered standard practice right now.

Because of this issue I've been trying other note taking apps and not one of them does this, so I don't consider it standard practice.

10 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It might be preferred practice that not everyone has gotten around to yet.  Facebook has.... :mellow:

Just because the worst privacy offender in an unrelated business does it so it is standard practice?  What?

Again, I've been trying Evernote alternatives recently and none of them do anything so obnoxious and anti-user.   And I'm paying for EN, whereas Facebook is purely ad based - they depend on knowing stuff like which links I clicked on - I'm not surprised when they sacrafice my productiivity to gather data on me.

• Level 5*

Er,  was just noting that both apps changed from their previous practice (plus another I noticed recently) at about the same time which might or might not be significant.  That's why this is called a 'forum'..  for discussion.. ?

• Like 1

I apologize if I'm being rude, but I'm irked because EN is now doing some nasty stuff and people seem to be bending over backwards to defend them here.

And I felt that the connection with Facebook change is case in point.  The change being discussed here also happened at the time that EN changed their terms of service so they could mine user's data (that seemed to be the general interpretation of the media).  The possible connection with this is readily apparent and yet people seem very reluctant to connect those and that's the very same company.

I've put my work and life into evernote since 2009, so I get the desire to believe the best and the instinct to defend them, but they appear to have moved into a new mode of operation now and this particular change exemplifies that: they have really sacraficed usability just to squeeze a little more money out of their users.  If there was a more innocent explanation I think they would have commented by now.  Silence (and timing) speak volumes!

It's going to take me huge work to move off EN.  I've taken the first step by using Workflowy and Drive as my daily note taking tools instead, but I won't move all my data until I see whether they have a change of heart with the new web interface.  But if we all just find excuses for them on this, I think that they will be less likely to cave in and revert.

• Level 5*

Don't know about anyone else here,  but I'd certainly appreciate it if Evernote leaned in to tell us whether this was

1. a 'design choice' possibly inspired by new web guidelines or old-fashioned lawyers that they "can't" (i.e. ain't gonna) change
  2. a bug or another issue that is under investigation / being worked on.  (I then look forward to the flood of 'work faster' retorts from the floor...)
  3. a feature request they're looking at given the (current) 39 votes in favour
  4. something that can be worked around by changing settings (although I don't think anyone else has managed this yet)

I don't know which applies here.  Neither does anyone else.  Moving your account is always your privilege,  but it won't make Evernote plan differently or work faster.

And no one is 'defending' Evernote because we don't actually know if this was their choice yet...

Of course anyone who gets in touch with Support through the usual channels should get some sort of a direct response - and more traffic there might have some influence...

Not long now and we will be on page 4! 

I have contacted the Guinness Book of Records to see if this thread could soon become the world no. 1.

Meanwhile, a few of us have decided to burn down Evernote's headquarters to bring this issue to their attention. Anyone have any firelighters? Petrol? Matches? 

While we all wait for this problem to be dealt with, have fun coloring in this picture of Struggles (Snuggles? Snaggles? Sroggles? What was her name?) putting out an earlier incendiary attack on Evernote headquarters by the "Resizing Images, Please!" action group.

Firefighter-coloring-pages-for-preschool

I'm part way thru moving my stuff from EN to a combination of G-Docs and Workflowy, and it's a lot of work!  (is there an a tool for converting an EN to a G-doc?)

Does anyone know anything about when this supposed major update to EN web will occur?  

Like others, I've got my fingers crossed that they will reverse this crazy change in that new version, at least for users' who are already paying so they shouldn't need to gather extra data about the links we click.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Can G-doc import HTML files?  Evernote can export to that format,  or to PDF (depending on your OS and apps available).  It rather depends on what sort of notes and attachments you have - sound files / pictures / documents / media / code.

So far as I know I'm the only person wittering on about an update to the web client,  based off a comment last year,  and 'major update' is not what I've called it.  AFAIK they're bringing the code base up to date from the mid 2000's to now,  and what they were talking about was a beta version tester that probably won't be anywhere near fully capable.  It's also late (from what they said last year),  though detailed release plans were not part of what was posted.

And whatever gave you the impression that 'you are leaving Evernote' was about collecting "extra data" - at worst it's a compliance with some tech standard (or legal advice) so that if you leave an Evernote note and go to a page which causes serious grief,  Evernote can't be held responsible.  I've also seen the same message from other web sites.  It's not a covert attempt to find out how many users link to WrestleMania!

There is no site comparable to EN, and I've now tried many of them, that does what EN now does, so I don't see how it is 'compliance'.  I think we've had this discussion before - the other site you are talking about is Facebook.  That is one other site, unrelated to EN, and a site with the lowest standards around for privacy.

The idea that "EN can't be held accountable" makes no sense to me.  EN was having financial difficulties amid flattening sub growth so they brough in a new CEO to wring more money from existing subs.  Soon after they increased their rates and made changes so users wouldn't know when they were going to be charged, changed their privacy policy, and added the change we are discussing.  

It's not an unusual situation, but it's bad news for long term users like us.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, qwavel said:

There is no site comparable to EN, and I've now tried many of them, that does what EN now does, so I don't see how it is 'compliance'.  I think we've had this discussion before - the other site you are talking about is Facebook.  That is one other site, unrelated to EN, and a site with the lowest standards around for privacy.

The idea that "EN can't be held accountable" makes no sense to me.  EN was having financial difficulties amid flattening sub growth so they brough in a new CEO to wring more money from existing subs.  Soon after they increased their rates and made changes so users wouldn't know when they were going to be charged, changed their privacy policy, and added the change we are discussing.  

It's not an unusual situation, but it's bad news for long term users like us.

Didn't say Evernote can't be held accountable - just saying we don't know whether this is a design choice or compliance with some standard that other websites - with one notable exception so far - haven't caught up with.  Evernote withdrew their plans to change the privacy policy,  but regardless I'm still sure the warning isn't about gathering information.  Any website can already do that anyway without flashy notices - to see where traffic is coming from,  what pages it prefers,  and where it goes offsite.  I'm sure Evernote don't care whether you come from OneNote or go to Google Keep after reading a note.

• Like 1

I actually hope Evernote do not solve this problem, for selfish reasons, I know.

My local library is some distance from my home and in the winter months I often don't relish the idea of a trip into town to change my books.

In this context, the ever-spreading tentacles of the 'The message "You are leaving Evernote." '  story provide all the entertainment I need and though I don't like paying overdue library book fines, I am grateful to Evernote for making it possible for me to forget the number 14 bus and snuggle up by the fire with a nice mug of tea and a packet of custard creams to enjoy the latest twists and turns in this marvellous story.

Thank you Evernote.

Install a Google Chrome extension called TamperMonkey (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/tampermonkey/dhdgffkkebhmkfjojejmpbldmpobfkfo/related) [...] The TamperMonkey extension allows us to inject and run our own Javascript on page load. The @inlcude bit in the script below tells TamperMonkey to only run this script on any pages that have a URL that starts with https://www.evernote.com/OutboundRedirect.action. The script then grabs the target destination (i.e. the link we want to show) and tells the browser to immediately redirect there (bypassing the need to press evernotes continue button).

This works spectacularly well for me; thanks. I had never heard of Evernote until it came pre-installed on my Blackberry; this is the ONE issue with using it my account on a PC (the "outbound action" issue, and Evernote's refusal to address it) that has ensured that I don't convert to a paying subscription.

tl;dr better to bite the bullet and use a service like CloudHQ to move your notes to a better service - there are lots of great options now.

That is not a great solution, in my opinion.  Every extension you add to your browser is then always running and consuming resources - so to add an extension for just 1 site is a dubious proposition.  Particulary when it doesn't fully solve the problem - there is still enough delay to disrupt my flow.  I've also been surprised at how often an inocolous looking extension can cause wierd problems on other pages, ie. before reporting an issue with another site, make sure to disable all extensions and re-test.

I do use a few extensions, but I don't want to add another as a half-work-around for 1 site.

So I pursued a more drastic solution:  CloudHQ.

It allowed me to move everything to other services.

I've been with Evernote pretty much since the beginnning and I had my work and life in EN, so this was a big decision for me, but EN has changed, and making such an anti-user change as the one being discussed in this thread is a symptom of a deeper change.

Finding better alternatives to Evernote was easy (there are so many options now) but even with CloudHQ, moving all my notes, attachments, etc. was not easy.  Now that it's done though I've very happy with the new service and to have left EN behind.

I feel quite badly about all the people to whom I recommended EN in the early years, but it really was one of the best solutions back then and I guess change is inevitably... so users need to remain open to changing their choices and should avoid getting to stuck on any one solution service.

I hope you all find the solutions that are right for you.

3 hours ago, delawaredave said:

So what have you found better than Evernote ?

For longer notes I'm using Google Docs, where I love the document outline feature, and for shorter (to-do type) stuff I'm using workflowy.  For Docs, I reduce the page margins to zero and in some cases change the page orientation to landscape to make it more suited to notes versus documents.

I looked at Microsoft Onenote and I really liked the functionality - it is the closest equivelent to evernote - but I found it to be too slow when used in the browser.  If I were a regular Office user then I probably would have gone with OneNote anyway but I'm not.

On 2017-5-14 at 3:58 PM, qwavel said:

That is not a great solution, in my opinion.  Every extension you add to your browser is then always running and consuming resources - so to add an extension for just 1 site is a dubious proposition.  Particulary when it doesn't fully solve the problem - there is still enough delay to disrupt my flow.  I've also been surprised at how often an inocolous looking extension can cause wierd problems on other pages, ie. before reporting an issue with another site, make sure to disable all extensions and re-test.

I do use a few extensions, but I don't want to add another as a half-work-around for 1 site.

Excellent point; though in my case, it works well because I already use Tampermonkey to block sponsored ads from the Facebook news feed.

Just to add another comment to this thread for 2018!

Please give us the option to disable this "feature".

When I click on a link - I just want to go to that link...not another Evernote page saying "did you mean to click on that link?"... ie. just like how the rest of the Internet works... you don't get Chrome asking you if you meant to click on something...you just go there... It's called a hyperlink....

Please remove this - or at least give us an option to disable it!