PDFs - Filing Cabinet - Storage

FrMike

Hello all,

I am trying to do a NAS / Evernote cleanup. I was curious on everyone else's setup. 

When it comes to bills, statements, documents, (99% in PDF)

Do you store them strictly in Evernote?

My current setup is they are stored in Evernote, and then another copy is stored in a file-system on my NAS. 

Considering deleting the copy on my NAS to be more efficient. But I wanted to hear from the pros/experts what you do, and the length of time using your system

Thank you!

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, FrMike said:

My current setup is they are stored in Evernote, and then another copy is stored in a file-system on my NAS.

I store in Evernote and delete the original after verifying the import to Evernote.  
This gives me access to my data on the Web, with full copies on my Mac and iPad 

I don't keep a 2nd copy, but I consider backups important.
As part of my paid subscription, I have access to Evernote's Note History
I also maintain my own backup process - I use a cloud drive

I've been using Evernote for 7+ years

• 2 months later...
  • Level 5*
On 12/5/2016 at 2:17 PM, FrMike said:

No. Statements (a recurring source of pdf's and an easy item for me to remember that I have, so search isn't necessary) and very large pdf's get stored on the hard drive. I've seen too many people running into issues when their EN database gets bloated.

But maybe EN has resolved those issues. I wonder if Jamie, the guy with the paperless blog, has run into issues. His EN database must be massive.

• Level 5*
On 12/5/2016 at 0:17 PM, FrMike said:

Yes.  I store all of the above in EN, either in synced or local notebooks.  No other storage.  

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, csihilling said:

Yes.  I store all of the above in EN, either in synced or local notebooks.  No other storage.  

How large is your "Databases" folder? No lag or sync issues?

• Level 5*
51 minutes ago, tavor said:

I have 9000 notes, 9GB
No lag on my Mac or iPad (offline notes)

Others have reported larger databases, so I have no concern about my database size 

• Level 5*
36 minutes ago, tavor said:

31,695 notes at the moment and just under 16GB for DB size in current Windows 10 environment.  No lags or sync issues.  Might get a slight slow down if I do a mass tag change, but that is such a rare event I can safely say no lag issues.  

Full disclosure, I have been using Solid State Disc for the last 5 years or so.  I had some not responding prior to that, but none since.  To complete the picture, 8GB of memory and my laptop is five years old.  

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DTLow said:

I have 9000 notes, 9GB
No lag on my Mac or iPad (offline notes)

Others have reported larger databases, so I have no concern about my database size 

53 minutes ago, csihilling said:

31,695 notes at the moment and just under 16GB for DB size in current Windows 10 environment.  No lags or sync issues.  Might get a slight slow down if I do a mass tag change, but that is such a rare event I can safely say no lag issues.  

Full disclosure, I have been using Solid State Disc for the last 5 years or so.  I had some not responding prior to that, but none since.  To complete the picture, 8GB of memory and my laptop is five years old.  

Thanks, I've got a long way to go to catch up to you guys, so that puts me at ease about importing more PDFs and other files.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, tavor said:

Thanks, I've got a long way to go to catch up to you guys, so that puts me at ease about importing more PDFs and other files.

You are welcome.  Yeah, of my total notes 17,243 are PDFs.

Archived