Jump to content
  • 24

Bug: Hitting enter in a note does not scroll the view down, and cursor is hidden (below the fold)


jumpfroggy

Idea

I've noticed a strange bug lately.  When I type a long note, I get a scrollbar.  If I hit the "enter" key, the cursor keeps going down but the window doesn't scroll.  Soon my cursor is no longer visible, being below the visible portion.

If I type anything else (space, letters), or even use the cursor keys (up/down/etc), the window jumps to the bottom so I can see the cursor.  It just doesn't work when hitting enter.  Makes it a little hard to type, since I can't see where I'm at until I press something else.

  • Like 6
Link to post

43 replies to this idea

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Same issue. In my case, not sure if it applies to everybody, I have noticed that the scrolling function works until I add a picture to the note, then it stops and does not come back even if I remove the picture. Not sure if the same thing happens by adding other media.

  • Like 2
Link to post
  • 0

Why can't this issue be corrected Evernote?  It is so frustrating.

I am having the exact same issue for quite some time.

I am using

Windows 7, Evernote 6.4.2.3788 (303788) Public, Chrome 56.0.2924.87

Update 03/31/17

The issue still exists in Bug still exists in 6.5.4.4720 :(

 

Edited by prlange22
Update with new information
Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
4 minutes ago, b33gopher said:

Does anyone have a pro membership that can reference this issue back to Evernote support so that we can see one if they even recall the issue and two if they have an ETR on when this will be fixed?

They know about the issue. They generally do not release information on when (or whether) bugs will be fixed.

On 4/2/2017 at 9:02 AM, Urs Wullschleger said:

Does anyone from Evernote read those posts here?

All posts are read by Evernote staff.

Link to post
  • 0

I have the same issue with the web version (on Windows and chrome), and since I see that some comments are from 2016 and they have not been fixed I am already regretting having paid for the premium version.

I need a reliable notebook and this is NOT doing it for me.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Evernote Support Staff
11 hours ago, prlange22 said:

Thanks for advising that this has been fixed. I agree that it is has been fixed and I am pleased that it now works properly.

Sure thing! Thanks for the confirmation. 

Link to post
  • 0

I have been told here that this bug is fixed, but I find that it is not fixed in 6.8.1.5382.

Hitting enter on the last line of a scrolling note causes the cursor to disappear offscreen. Only after I type another character does the window scroll.

This may be true only when entering a list of checkboxes.

Link to post
  • 0
3 hours ago, N Allen said:

I have been told here that this bug is fixed, but I find that it is not fixed in 6.8.1.5382.

Hitting enter on the last line of a scrolling note causes the cursor to disappear offscreen. Only after I type another character does the window scroll.

This may be true only when entering a list of checkboxes.

The cursor also disappears below the screen when you add rows to a table by pressing the TAB key.

After all these years, Evernote still fails to manage cursors properly...

Link to post
  • 0

I agree with Noteworthy and N Allen.

I previously commented that the scrolling issue was FIXED in version 6.7.5.5825 (305825) Public because I did not have any issues.

BUT I just discovered today that the comment by N Allen is true.

If I have a list of check boxes and press enter at the end of the most recent entry in the list, the next checkbox is put in place BUT YOU CANNOT SEE IT because the screen does not scroll down. Really not a BIG deal, but it should not happen.

I have not entered "tables" in Evernote so I have not experienced the issue with the TAB key mentioned by Noteworthy.

 

Link to post
  • 0
On 11/24/2017 at 4:47 PM, prlange22 said:

... If I have a list of check boxes and press enter at the end of the most recent entry in the list, the next checkbox is put in place BUT YOU CANNOT SEE IT because the screen does not scroll down. Really not a BIG deal, but it should not happen.

I have not entered "tables" in Evernote so I have not experienced the issue with the TAB key mentioned by Noteworthy.

 

 

I made a video of most of the weird cursor behaviors that I've noticed, including the ones with check boxes and tables.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post it in a second thread... if not, I won't be offended if the mods delete it.   :)

 

12 minutes ago, WeCanLearnAnything said:

 

 

Link to post
  • 0

I've noticed this issue on both the Mac app and the iPhone app. 

And I HATE IT!!! I'm tired of being polite about my anger. I pay for the premium membership and this is like the straw that breaks the camel's back with regard to how much I long for a better tool for this. I won't go into the rest in this thread.

 

 

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, truecam said:

I've noticed this issue on both the Mac app and the iPhone app. 

And I HATE IT!!! I'm tired of being polite about my anger. I pay for the premium membership and this is like the straw that breaks the camel's back with regard to how much I long for a better tool for this. I won't go into the rest in this thread.

You may have missed the fact that this topic is in a Windows-specific forum. You should check out the Mac and iOS forums to see whether it's been reported there...

-------

For the record, I see this as mostiy fixed in the latest beta for Windows (6.18.2.8380 (308380) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)); at least I wasn't able to reproduce the scenarios I've seen listed here, except for the one where one is adding new rows to the end of a table..

Link to post
  • 0

This issue of not being able to see or scroll to the bottom of the page when it fills the screen is still happening on my iPad (4/2019). As soon as the content gets to the edge I can keep typing but cannot see or access the content below the visible screen. It sounds like this was raised two years ago and “fixed” yet still happens.

Link to post
  • 0
On 4/4/2019 at 10:55 PM, jefito said:

For the record, I see this as mostiy fixed in the latest beta for Windows (6.18.2.8380 (308380) Prerelease (CE Build ce-62.3.7750)); at least I wasn't able to reproduce the scenarios I've seen listed here, except for the one where one is adding new rows to the end of a table..

On your recommendation, I just downloaded 6.18.2.8380. I find that it works in one case out of 6 I tested, so I wouldn't say "mostly fixed."

  • Entering straight text and hitting enter or automatically wrapping: Works (and probably has for a long time)
  • Entering bullet list: Fails
  • Entering numbered list: Fails
  • Entering todo list: Fails
  • Entering a new table row (with 'Tab'): Fails
  • Adding a horizontal rule: Fails

Are there any input modes I missed?

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, N Allen said:

On your recommendation, I just downloaded 6.18.2.8380. I find that it works in one case out of 6 I tested, so I wouldn't say "mostly fixed."

  • Entering straight text and hitting enter or automatically wrapping: Works (and probably has for a long time)
  • Entering bullet list: Fails
  • Entering numbered list: Fails
  • Entering todo list: Fails
  • Entering a new table row (with 'Tab'): Fails
  • Adding a horizontal rule: Fails

OK, a little deeper dive:

#1 (Entering straight text...) is fine as noted

#5 (Entering a new table row...) is broken as noted

#2, #3 & #4: The initial Enter key can indeed push the next instance and the cursor off the bottom of the page, so that's not great, but typing any character at that point does the scrollup, so I'd be inclined to give them 50% on those. I don't really rate this as serious

#6: (Adding a horizontal rule) Since the key combination that does this (Ctrl+Shift+_) inserts the horizontal rule above the cursor location, with the cursor on the screen (which is most of the time, I'd guess), the rule does appear.

Other cases:

* Cursor offscreen, press Tab key: This has different effects, depending on context: it can insert four space characters, or indent a bullet or todo checkbox. In any event, this is another 50% case: the cursor doesn't move to a visible location until you physically type some text

* Inserting code block (Ctrl+Shift+L):: With the cursor onscreen, no problem, the code block is so as to surround the cursor. If the cursor is offscreen, then it isn't scrolled into view.

Summary:

Not completely fixed, not seriously broken for my usage, your mileage may vary, of course.

It looks as though the trigger to scroll the cursor into view is typing a text character (Tab is not a text character in Evernote). If the added special handling for pressing the Tab or Enter key, and for the Horizontal Rule and Code Block commands (via keyboad or menu), that would cover just about everything that I can think of.

Link to post
  • 0
On 11/7/2017 at 3:51 PM, Austin G said:

This is fixed and should no longer occur on Evernote for Windows Desktop 6.7.5 + 

Nope. Not fixed. The only way for me to get around it is by changing the windows setting for my menu bar on the bottom of the page to disappear until I mouse over it to pop up again.  I prefer to NOT use that Microsoft feature, as I prefer my taskbar to stay put, but that seems to be my only option

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
On 6/2/2019 at 12:07 AM, derekw said:

Nope. Not fixed. The only way for me to get around it is by changing the windows setting for my menu bar on the bottom of the page to disappear until I mouse over it to pop up again.  I prefer to NOT use that Microsoft feature, as I prefer my taskbar to stay put, but that seems to be my only option

??

Not sure what "windows setting" you mean, for which "menu bar" or on the bottom of which "page" or how it relates to typing in an Evernote note. What am I missing here? You seem to be referring to the Taskbar setting "Lock the taskbar", but it doesn't seem to affect the behavior reported and commented on here. Did you mean to comment on a different issue?

Link to post
  • 0

I don't know if this is still the same thread I originally asked a question about having the text visible while entering.

My problem is with IOS for iPad. Mac Evernote works fine. when I type on and on, the page scrolls down so i can see what I'm typing no matter how long the document. Likewise on iPhone.

On my iPad, when the page extends beyond the bottom of the screen, I cannot see beyond the "fold" where I'm currently typing. I can pull up the bottom of the screen as long as it's not in "typing" mode.

Link to post
  • 0
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, FrancesBN said:

I don't know if this is still the same thread I originally asked a question about having the text visible while entering.

My problem is with IOS for iPad. Mac Evernote works fine. when I type on and on, the page scrolls down so i can see what I'm typing no matter how long the document. Likewise on iPhone.

On my iPad, when the page extends beyond the bottom of the screen, I cannot see beyond the "fold" where I'm currently typing. I can pull up the bottom of the screen as long as it's not in "typing" mode.

Yes, you asked here before. However, this particular thread is in a Windows-specific forum. If you want to report bugs for Evernote on other OS's you should post in the appropriate subforum, in this case,  Possible Bugs / Technical Issues for iOS: It may have already been reported there; you should try to find previous relevant topics there before creating new ones.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...