Can't clip direct to local app anymore?

pjsmith

Hi,

Some of my clips started taking ages. I noticed I can't access them via my app either as it has not synced with the cloud yet. I had my clipper set to clip locally to the app on my windows desktop to prevent these issues, but it seems that option has now gone away and it can only sync to the cloud?

If this is the case, then I have to provide the feedback that this choice is very bad. Clipping large web documents for example can take minutes to the cloud, seconds to local storage, where the sync can happen nicely in the background. In addition, I rarely use evernote web, prefering the local app to do my work. What I just clipped is not in the app until after a sync, which is another inconvenience.

If it is possible to change this, please let me know.

• Level 5*

Hi.  There's (nearly) always a release thread for new updates like this and the main discussion is here -

The new beta clipper is 6.10.1 for Firefox,  and I've already complained that it doesn't clip to the local database.  I think Evernote made a trade-off between adding functionality to the new clipper with new Firefox features,  but couldn't use the same features to continue the local save option.  I reverted to Clipper 6.2 for a while to get my local saves back,  but am currently trying out (and still being annoyed by) 6.10.1 clipping really well - though I can't see the results until after a sync.

I'd suggest you express your annoyance in the main thread (I can't merge this post there) and if you want to step back again,  the older versions of Clipper are here - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/versions/

NB Switch off updating - Firefox 'burger' menu > Add-ons > Extensions > Web Clipper Options - scroll down:  set Automatic Updates to OFF otherwise it will revert to 6.9.3

• 1 month later...

Hi there. I also noticed that I no longer am able to clip to the local app on Windows. I think it's nuts that Evernote has decided to get rid of this feature. For me, there is no point in using Evernote anymore if it can only clip to the cloud because I don't use it. Is there a way around this??

Same here. Totally stupid if you ask me. I don't want all my data going up to the could, then back down, just so I can use it in the local client. Takes ages on a long clip and renders it useless if EN have any issues. Please evernote, based on the comments here, a large proportion of your userbase are not interested in the web interface. Please bring back local clipping.

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, zeitfliesst said:

Hi there. I also noticed that I no longer am able to clip to the local app on Windows. I think it's nuts that Evernote has decided to get rid of this feature. For me, there is no point in using Evernote anymore if it can only clip to the cloud because I don't use it. Is there a way around this??

20 minutes ago, pjsmith said:

Same here. Totally stupid if you ask me. I don't want all my data going up to the could, then back down, just so I can use it in the local client. Takes ages on a long clip and renders it useless if EN have any issues. Please evernote, based on the comments here, a large proportion of your userbase are not interested in the web interface. Please bring back local clipping.

You do realize Evernote is a cloud app, with the master version of your notes maintained on the Evernote servers?

I do web clipping on my both my iPad and Mac

Yes, totally, 100% I've even used it, maybe half a dozen times via the web gui in the years I've been using EN. I'm also very happy all my data is securely stored offsite and available across my many devices. For me, I use the android client and the windows client. It is far, far more efficient for me to work on the local client than try to use the web gui. I clip some long web docs (sometimes 100 page HTML statements etc) and want to work on them in EN right away - I can't (not anymore anyway). I have to wait for it to sync up to the cloud, them to process it, then it make it's way back down to my client - IMO, It's stupid. What took me seconds before can take minutes or longer now. When you add it to the client first, it starts a sync right away anyway, so all that happens neatly in the background and you just get on with working. Since they forced this change on us, I find myself swearing at EN, waiting for my local docs to sync so I can work on them. It's just a waste of my time and if I think about it, again, IMO, a far less reliable way to manage syncing local clips.

I hope this explains why we don't like sync direct to the cloud, instead of the local clip option.

Archived