is evernote database ssd friendly?

In windows, all evernote data is stored in a .exb file, and every single change will update .exb file. 

If I installed evernote on a ssd drive, and because ssd has writing cycle limit which is a key factor to wear a ssd out. I am wondering whether frequent updating of .exb file will harm ssd lifespan or not, considering the size of .exb file is usually very large for a heavy user.

• Level 5*

If you install Evernote on the SSD I'd recommend moving the databases folder elsewhere - I have the same information as you about repeated edits using up cycles,  and the database itself is constantly being read and written to.  Others in the forum have upgraded to SSD,  so may have more practical experience.

• Level 5*

Generally speaking, SSDs have wear leveling algorithms that have gotten more sophisticated over time so write life is less of an issue than it once was.  I am less concerned with them than I am with HDDs.  

6 hours ago, s2sailor said:

Generally speaking, SSDs have wear leveling algorithms that have gotten more sophisticated over time so write life is less of an issue than it once was.  I am less concerned with them than I am with HDDs.  

I know ssd has wear leveling algorithm. The problem is how is .exb file updated? Is it updated incrementally or each updating will repack the whole .exb file? If it is the first case, then it is fine. But if it is the second case, it is not good. For me, I have a .exb file with 400MB, and for those heavier users, I think it will be much bigger. Even perfect leveling will not stand whole updating of large file frequently.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, balabi said:

The problem is how is .exb file updated? Is it updated incrementally or each updating will repack the whole .exb file?

Don't know for sure, but I doubt that the entire data base is repacked with each update.  I have been using an SSD for the last 5 years, my data base has grown to 15GB, and there are no lags or issues <knocking on wood>. 

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, balabi said:

I know ssd has wear leveling algorithm. The problem is how is .exb file updated? Is it updated incrementally or each updating will repack the whole .exb file? If it is the first case, then it is fine. But if it is the second case, it is not good. For me, I have a .exb file with 400MB, and for those heavier users, I think it will be much bigger. Even perfect leveling will not stand whole updating of large file frequently.

Either way I think an SSD will still exceed the typical life of an HDD.  

FWIW, numerous years ago I was involved in introducing SSDs into our enterprise system units.  We had an application that was extremely read/write intensive and the hardware was designed for 7 years life, so write life was one of our main concerns.  After extensive testing we satisfied ourselves they would last the required length of time.  SSD hardware has only gotten better over time.  That said, there are different grades of SSDs and system heat can affect their life so some will perform differently than others but I think even an intensive Evernote Windows user will be fine.

7 hours ago, csihilling said:

Don't know for sure, but I doubt that the entire data base is repacked with each update.  I have been using an SSD for the last 5 years, my data base has grown to 15GB, and there are no lags or issues <knocking on wood>. 

Wow, your data is huge, thanks for the information

Archived