Create Jump Linking & Linking to a Section in a Note

Ren12

Idea

16 replies to this idea

Please Please Please this should kind of be table stakes at this point. This is really needed to avoid creating note sprawl because hyperlinks only work to an entire Note. As others have said possible in most / all other note applications and even in ALL word processing applications.

Thanks

• Like 2

It would be nice if we could create a set of links or bookmarks within a note that would allow us to jump to different sections of a note.

For example, we would be able to create a list of links at the head of the note then jump to a start of a section of the note. At end of each section we would be able to insert a link that would jump back to the list of links at the head of the note.

The links/bookmarks should have customisable text so we can create links that make sense the author.

Sometimes I have very large notes with multiple sections and thousands of words, and it can be hard to navigate within the note after a while. 

Right now I have tried visual clues using for example text formatting (colour, bold, italics) but it still takes a while to move through a large note. 

If anyone has any ideas or techniques they use to navigate more easily within a note, I would love to hear what you do.

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
29 minutes ago, Gayle1701 said:

It would be nice if we could create a set of links or bookmarks within a note that would allow us to jump to different sections of a note.

I merged your post with an existing request for this feature

To indicate your support, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion

>>If anyone has any ideas or techniques they use to navigate more easily within a note, I would love to hear what you do.

I split long notes into separate notes.  A Table-of-Contents links the sections

>>Sometimes I have very large notes with multiple sections and thousands of words

Is this really a "note",and is Evernote the best editor?     
I would use a word processing editor.  The document can be stored in Evernote as an attachment

6 minutes ago, Michaelh1234123 said:

Here's another idea - have a summary page which is a bunch of other notes all stuck together.

This sounds like a table of contents which has been in Evernote forever. In V10

• Select the notes you want to include
  • From the blue pop up menu -> three dots -> copy internal links -> copy app links
  • Create a new note and then start a numbered list
  • Paste in the links.
  • If you want to you can rearrange (and renumber) by dragging the items around
  • If you want to add more just copy the links as before and paste them in to the bottom of the list

Alternatively you can permanently stick notes together by merging them but that doesn't solve the handling long notes problem

Actually Mike, that's not quite what I had in mind.

This would be a bunch of subnotes that are automatically put together on the same page and refreshed that way via some script running in the background.

But at any rate, this is not the right place to discuss this :)

• Thanks 1

Hello Evernote :

Would be really nice to implement at least a jump to anchor sort of feature.

Even better a real TOC inside of a note.

I don't see what the big deal is with creating something like this. Onenote has it already.

I would something like this has far more value than adding tasks and calendar integration.....................................

• Like 5