How do I use the tab bar?

Go to solution Solved by amanda_h,

Coincidentally I just noticed the tab bar and '+' today but nothing happens when I click the '+' as well. Being able to have notes in tabs would be helpful but I'm not sure how to use it (if that is what it does). Searching the help for 'tab bar' does not return anything about it as far as I can tell.

I'm using the Mac client Version 6.10 (454269 App Store) with macOS Sierra Version 10.12.1

• Level 5*
On 2016-11-27 at 0:45 PM, stephanelapointe@gmail.com said:

Hello,

I activated the tab bar in the menu, but it seems that it does not work. I admit that this bar is going to be of great use, but it does not work.

I click the "+" button, but no new bars appear; Can anyone help me with this function?

Thank's in advance,

I just noticed this on my Mac under the Evernote View settings

With Sierra OS, we can have our notes in tabs, and the Tab Bar makes sense 
It doesn't mean much for the main window, and I don't even get a + button to click

If you hover over it, it says Create New Tab 
My guess is its just some default Sierra code
There's one on the Safari tab bar

edited: the + sign appeared after closing and reopening the Evernote window
            likewise, it doesn't seem to do anything

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this "tab bar" option running Sierra OS, but was disappointed to discover that it doesn't actually do anything.

From what I can tell by reading other Evernote discussion threads on the "tab" feature, this has been in demand for quite some time, but hasn't materialized in any Evernote updates. 

I agree that the ability to open multiple notes as tabs within the same window, would be an incredibly helpful feature and would definitely improve my workflow. As a Masters's student I often use several notes as a time to collect research and take notes for a given assignment. being able to quickly jump between these within the same window would be awesome.

• Solution

Hi y'all,

The Tab feature isn't ready yet, which is why you're not able to currently do anything with it. One workaround is opening the notes you want to tab into their own separate windows, then navigating to Window > Merge All Windows. I know it's a bit of a clunky workaround, but it's all I've got right now :blush:

K8qVnDCMNW.gif

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5*
17 hours ago, DragonFax said:

Another year later. And the tab feature is still majorly broken and completely useless on the mac. Surprise surprise.

In the image below, I'm showing three tabs (edited: main window tab bar)

5ab48e6d2a0a6_ScreenShot2018-03-22at22_18_43.png.eea2098387fb2b1fffe425e083a0fcc0.png

I'm on MacOS Sierra, using the latest Evernote Desktop app.

I find that whether a new note is created in a new tab, or a new window is opened for it, Is completely random. I can never predict which will happen when I hit CMD-N.

I'm completely unable to drag a note from one window to another using its tab.  So unless I happens to start a new note in a new tab. I can never manage to work with multiple tabs at once. 

Window->Merge All Windows is always greyed out for me.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, DragonFax said:

I find that whether a new note is created in a new tab

Tabs are not used for individual notes; the tab includes a note list.  Edited: Main Window Tab bar

In my example, each of the three tabs is a notebook.

5 hours ago, DTLow said:

Tabs are not used for individual notes; the tab includes a note list.

In my example, each of the three tabs is a notebook.

DTLow, tabs were introduced for the purpose of keeping multiple notes open and readily available in a single click. 

Dragon Fax, I'm using the Evernote Desktop App version 7.0.2 on Mac High Sierra (10.13.3). Window > Merge all is greyed out for me until I open  multiple notes open in separate windows. Once more than one window is open Window > Merge all becomes active and has been working to collect the individual notes into a single window.

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 6.04.27 PM.png

Here's 3 notes as 3 tabs in one window...

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 6.00.31 PM.png

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, lburton said:

Here's 3 notes as 3 tabs in one window...

You're right, there are two tab bars.
Main window and Note Window.
I should have indicated my comments were for the main window tab bar.

5ab5519ea0006_ScreenShot2018-03-23at12_11_37.thumb.png.e194e5d371ca3243f10335b44ce0c593.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Level 5

To show the notebook in the tab title makes sense, because it corresponds with the notes shown in the second column from the left. These are all in the designated notebook.

If you double-click a note, it will open in its own window, and there the note title will be shown as header of the window.

P.S. Thanks to all, cool feature I did not know until now.

P.P.S. Yes, the same on Windows would be good.

• Level 5*
15 hours ago, xiaosai said:

Also, the tab title can not show note title but only show notebook title,  hope it can be set.

Evernorte/Mac has two types of windows/tabs; note and note-list

Note windows/tabs show the note title.  Note-List windows/tabs show the note list title