Noteshelf - Evernote Sync: Rate Limit Reached

J4M

Hello,

I'm an Evernote Premium user, 

I use Noteshelf in iPad everyday and I have a lot of notebooks created with that App.

From 3 days ago, sync failed, and this message appears in Noteshelf: "Sync failed with reason: Rate limit reached."

If you visit the link below, Noteshelf explains:

"Rate Limit Reached
Evernote server accepts only a certain number of requests from each user per hour. If you hit this hourly limit, you have to wait another hour to resume sync. If this is the error message you are seeing, just ignore it as the sync will automatically resume after some time."

http://noteshelf-support.fluidtouch.biz/hc/en-us/articles/214847438-Common-Evernote-Sync-Error

Can anyone help me with that?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jam

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, J4M said:

I use Noteshelf in iPad everyday and I have a lot of notebooks created with that App.

From 3 days ago, sync failed, and this message appears in Noteshelf: "Sync failed with reason: Rate limit reached."

Not sure of the exact details, but It looks like Noteshelf built in an interface to Evernote.  
They are using an API that has limits on data transfer 
- this might explain it further https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/rate_limits.php
This limit is completely different than your limits as a Premium Evernote user.

Not sure what benefits you obtain using Noteshelf but you could switch to direct input with Evernote.

As a premium Evernote user, you could open a support ticket at Contact Evernote Support
However, I don't think you'll get too far in that they'll view it as a Noteshelf problem.

Hello again,

in the log file of Noteshelf, it seems to be an error owns to Evernote server:

"24/11/16 17:41:50 CET Publish failed with reason: Rate limit reached. Error: Error Domain=ENErrorDomain Code=10 "Application reached hourly API call limit to Evernote." UserInfo={rateLimitDuration=1346, EDAMErrorCode=19, NSLocalizedDescription=Application reached hourly API call limit to Evernote.}"

The answer from Evernote Team doesn't tell me nothing:

"Hola,

Gracias por contactar al equipo de soporte de Evernote. Mi nombre es Gio.

Entiendo que estás experimentando problemas con la aplicación Noteshelf y Evernote. Desafortunadamente la aplicación por la cual haz preguntado, Noteself no fue creada por Evernote. Aunque es posible que haya encontrado el producto en nuestro App Center, esta aplicación es producida por otra empresa.

Hemos puesto un gran énfasis en hacer que nuestra clave de API este disponible para desarrolladores de todo el mundo para integrar sus productos con nosotros. Estamos encantados con la variedad de hardware y software que ha sido desarrollado para integrar sus servicios con Evernote. Sin embargo, sólo podemos proporcionar soporte técnico a los productos que son realmente desarrollados por Evernote.

Es la responsabilidad de nuestros socios de hacer que sus producto sirvan dentro de los confines de nuestra API y que funcione su integración con Evernote como la ofertan. Cualquier problema con la integración debe ser reportado con ellos.

Por favor, póngase en contacto con el fabricante de su producto para soporte técnico con su producto.

https://noteshelf.uservoice.com/

Si usted no recibe una respuesta aceptable por favor háganoslo saber. Si tiene alguna otra duda o pregunta acerca de los productos de Evernote, no dude en contactarnos de vuela.

Agradecemos su comprensión,

Gio P."

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, J4M said:

in the log file of Noteshelf, it seems to be an error owns to Evernote server:

Actually, Evernote is telling you they view it as a Noteshelf problem.
Noteshelf hit the limit when publishing your data.

Why not update your data directly in Evernote?

Dear DTLow,

Noteshelf offers me a great tool with the Noteshlef app. Its more easy to write and it seems a real papel notebook. I use Evernote for Sync that App and other works.

Why don't help and tell something worthy and stop spam?

A Guru give solutions, not words.

Thankyou very much.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, J4M said:

Noteshelf offers me a great tool with the Noteshlef app. Its more easy to write and it seems a real papel notebook. I use Evernote for Sync that App and other works.

Why don't help and tell something worthy and stop spam?

A Guru give solutions, not words.

Evernote has given you an answer.  I've given you the same answer
None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see.

I agree Noteshelf is prettier than Evernote, and has more editing features.
I don't use it myself - I prefer the organization and syncing features in Evernote

I do use dedicated apps at times.
- Word Processors, Spreadsheets and for serious notetaking I use the app Notability
These apps allow me to create a file which I can store in Evernote as an attachment to a note.
You could look at the export options in Noteshelf instead of using the publish notebook feature.

• Level 5*

Noteshelf uses the Evernote API to sync its information into Evernote.

Evernote's API, like almost all similar internet-service APIs, imposes a "rate limit" - that is, a limit on the number of program calls that an external application can make to the Evernote service via its API.  This limit exists to prevent an external application from accidentally getting into a loop and issuing way too many calls to the Evernote service which can negatively impact its overall performance for all users (or from purposefully getting into a loop, if the application is malicious and is specifically trying to bring down the Evernote service, which attempts can also happen).

In Evernote's case, their rate limit timeframe is one hour - that is, they limit the number of API calls that can be made within an hour.  If that number is exceeded, no more calls can be made for the balance of that hour.  When the next hour rolls around, the limit is cleared and calls from the external application can continue.  Note that this limit is on a per-user basis, so other people using Noteshelf to enter data into Evernote have no effect on your Noteshelf rate limit.

So in the cases where you're experiencing this rate limit condition, it just means that your Noteshelf application is attempting to make more calls to Evernote's API than is allowed within that hour.  There's nothing that you can do about it - once the next hour rolls around, the limit will clear and the sync will happen.

There is one other aspect to this: Evernote's default rate limit for external applications is fairly low (i.e. they don't allow a very big number of API calls).  However, authors of external applications (i.e. in your case the folks who wrote Noteshelf) do have the ability to contact Evernote and request an increase in the rate limit for their particular application.  There's no guarantee that Evernote will grant an increase; they evaluate it on a case-by-case basis.  There's no real way of knowing whether Noteshelf already did this and is operating at a higher rate limit, or if they did not and are still operating at the low default limit.  The only thing you could do is to contact Noteshelf tech support and ask if they have requested a higher Evernote API rate limit - perhaps they don't realize they can do that. Asking for such an increase is Noteshelf's responsibility - there's nothing you or Evernote can do in this area.

Archived