Single note not syncing from computer to phone.

Hi all, I'm having an issue with a specific note not syncing from my computer (Sierra 10.12) to my phone (iOS 10.0.2).

A few days ago I updated this note via the desktop app, and just noticed last night that it hadn't updated on my phone. I checked that the app was up to date (it was) and I manually synced even though I have automatic sync set up. The note still would not update on my phone, even though the updated version was showing on the desktop app. I didn't check every single note I have, but other notes were updating properly. There were no weird characters in the title, the note isn't too big, and I hadn't reached my quota. 

Perhaps stupidly, I typed something into the phone version of the note to see if it would sync to the desktop app. It did, and reverted the desktop note back to the old version so I lost my updates. What I know from doing that is there was an issue with syncing from computer to phone only, and not vice versa. 

My biggest concern with this is that I happened to notice the note hadn't updated. But it's a possibility that this could happen again and I won't notice, and I'll alter the note on my phone, thereby losing all my updates on the desktop version. 

I hope this makes sense, and that someone can help. Is it ok/safe to post my activity log here?

Thanks in advance. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, storylogic said:

Hi all, I'm having an issue with a specific note not syncing from my computer (Sierra 10.12) to my phone (iOS 10.0.2).

A few days ago I updated this note via the desktop app, and just noticed last night that it hadn't updated on my phone. I checked that the app was up to date (it was) and I manually synced even though I have automatic sync set up. The note still would not update on my phone, even though the updated version was showing on the desktop app. I didn't check every single note I have, but other notes were updating properly. There were no weird characters in the title, the note isn't too big, and I hadn't reached my quota. 

Perhaps stupidly, I typed something into the phone version of the note to see if it would sync to the desktop app. It did, and reverted the desktop note back to the old version so I lost my updates. What I know from doing that is there was an issue with syncing from computer to phone only, and not vice versa. 

My biggest concern with this is that I happened to notice the note hadn't updated. But it's a possibility that this could happen again and I won't notice, and I'll alter the note on my phone, thereby losing all my updates on the desktop version. 

I hope this makes sense, and that someone can help. Is it ok/safe to post my activity log here?

Sync is actually involves three data stores    Phone <> Evernote Servers <> Computer

You might want to check the Evernote servers (www.evernote.com) to see if the Servers <> Computer sync is a problem.

There are also activity logs you can review to get more details, both from the phone and computer.  Before posting, you should remove personal information, and identify the note title causing the problem.

52 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Sync is actually involves three data stores    Phone <> Evernote Servers <> Computer

You might want to check the Evernote servers (www.evernote.com) to see if the Servers <> Computer sync is a problem.

There are also activity logs you can review to get more details, both from the phone and computer.  Before posting, you should remove personal information, and identify the note title causing the problem.

Sorry, can you explain a little more? Where am I going on evernote.com to check the servers, and what am I looking for? And what information should I remove from the activity log before posting?

Thanks.

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, storylogic said:

Where am I going on evernote.com to check the servers, and what am I looking for?

You are missing synced updates to a note.
You checked your computer and your iPhone.
I was suggesting you go to www.evernote.com; sign in; and use the web platform to check your note on the server

>>And what information should I remove from the activity log before posting?

Things like username, password; the note title "My password is 12345"

1 hour ago, DTLow said:

You are missing synced updates to a note.
You checked your computer and your iPhone.
I was suggesting you go to www.evernote.com; sign in; and use the web platform to check your note on the server

>>And what information should I remove from the activity log before posting?

Things like username, password; the note title "My password is 12345"

I checked the web platform this morning and it had already updated from when I typed something into the phone version of the note last night (when I should've checked it last night when I realized the phone was not syncing with the desktop app). So I think at this point that doesn't tell us much. 

Okay, here's the activity log taken from the desktop app, for the note in question: 

---

Version: Evernote Mac 6.9.2 (454159) [App Store]
   Locale: en-US-US
Mac Model: MacBookPro11,1
 CPU Type: Intel
CPU Count: 4
CPU Speed: 2.400000 GHz
      RAM: 4.000000 GB
     Date: 2016-11-25 18:54:59 +0000

2016/11/23 15:07:03:917 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView openNote:] main | Open note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/23 15:07:03:917 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | Prepare loading note content, dirty=0 usn=1877 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/23 15:07:19:975 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView closeNote:] main | Close note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/23 15:07:23:505 I|*   __88-[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:]_block_invoke.1335  | Updating note on service: Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able) 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a
2016/11/23 15:07:29:788 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView openNote:] main | Open note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/23 15:07:29:788 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | Prepare loading note content, dirty=0 usn=1879 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/23 22:07:36:490 I|*   __88-[ENSyncEngine(Notes) updateServerNoteFromLocalNoteWithID:resourceFileMap:attemptRetry:]_block_invoke.1335  | Updating note on service: Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able) 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a
2016/11/23 22:12:34:235 I|*   -[ENNoteEditorViewController inactivityTimerFired:] main | NoteLockCat editor is inactive 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/23 22:18:25:459 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView closeNote:] main | Close note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/24 22:59:13:230 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView openNote:] main | Open note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/24 22:59:13:230 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | Prepare loading note content, dirty=0 usn=1881 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/24 23:03:13:965 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView closeNote:] main | Close note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/24 23:03:25:990 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView openNote:] main | Open note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/24 23:03:25:990 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | Prepare loading note content, dirty=0 usn=1881 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/24 23:06:13:726 I|*   __67-[ENComputeNoteStatsOperation countWords:chars:charsWithoutSpaces:]_block_invoke  | Parsing: '4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a' 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/24 23:06:24:683 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView closeNote:] main | Close note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/25 08:38:14:824 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView openNote:] main | Open note 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/25 08:38:14:824 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | Prepare loading note content, dirty=0 usn=1881 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/25 08:38:19:387 I|*   -[ENCommonEditorWebView updateViewFromNoteContent] main | Prepare loading note content, dirty=0 usn=1947 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/25 08:40:39:822 I|*   __67-[ENComputeNoteStatsOperation countWords:chars:charsWithoutSpaces:]_block_invoke  | Parsing: '4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a' 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'
2016/11/25 09:24:04:943 I|*   -[ENNoteEditorViewController inactivityTimerFired:] main | NoteLockCat editor is inactive 4ff55d3a-e7b4-4ad8-878b-cc357d14ff1a/p124 'Photography Ideas (Immediately do-able)'

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, storylogic said:

I checked the web platform this morning and it had already updated from when I typed something into the phone version of the note last night (when I should've checked it last night when I realized the phone was not syncing with the desktop app). So I think at this point that doesn't tell us much. 

I cannot tell what that means.

Go to the website and look at the note. Which platform has that version of the note, the iPhone or your Mac?

Do you have a Conflicts notebook on your Mac? If so, see if that note is in there. Evernote will auto-create when there is a conflict. If that has happened, you will have to manually fix one of the notes so it as all of the right info, then delete the other, then move the fixed note to where you want it.

8 minutes ago, EdH said:

I cannot tell what that means.

Go to the website and look at the note. Which platform has that version of the note, the iPhone or your Mac?

Do you have a Conflicts notebook on your Mac? If so, see if that note is in there. Evernote will auto-create when there is a conflict. If that has happened, you will have to manually fix one of the notes so it as all of the right info, then delete the other, then move the fixed note to where you want it.

I'm not sure how else to explain this because I already mentioned it in my original post but here goes...

I modified this note via the desktop app on the 23rd (I believe). Last night, when I noticed the same note on my phone hadn't updated, I modified the note (the old version, on my phone) to see if it would sync on the desktop version. It did, and the desktop version reverted back to the old version with that new modification. This was last night. So when I checked the note in the web app today, it had already synced to that old version with the modification I made last night. Thus, I have no way of knowing at this point if the note had updated previously inside the web app (with the modification made on the 23rd), because it's already synced to the modified version from last night. So this means I no longer have the previous version of the note, anywhere, and they're all showing the modified version I did as a test from last night.

Honestly I don't know how else to explain this, sorry.

I did just modify the note via the desktop app and checked it on the web app, and it did sync. So I really have no idea what happened. 

As far as conflicts, it never alerted me that there was one, and there's no double-note at the end like there will be when that happens. Also can't find any conflicts notebook.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, storylogic said:

I'm not sure how else to explain this because I already mentioned it in my original post but here goes...

I modified this note via the desktop app on the 23rd (I believe). Last night, when I noticed the same note on my phone hadn't updated, I modified the note (the old version, on my phone) to see if it would sync on the desktop version. It did, and the desktop version reverted back to the old version with that new modification. This was last night. So when I checked the note in the web app today, it had already synced to that old version with the modification I made last night. Thus, I have no way of knowing at this point if the note had updated previously inside the web app (with the modification made on the 23rd), because it's already synced to the modified version from last night. So this means I no longer have the previous version of the note, anywhere, and they're all showing the modified version I did as a test from last night.

Honestly I don't know how else to explain this, sorry.

I did just modify the note via the desktop app and checked it on the web app, and it did sync. So I really have no idea what happened. 

As far as conflicts, it never alerted me that there was one, and there's no double-note at the end like there will be when that happens. Also can't find any conflicts notebook.

Whatever happened, your updates on the 23rd have been overwritten and lost. Every time this happens to me (very very rarely) I get two notes. One where it belongs, but not necessarily correct, and one in a new Conflicts notebook on my PC or Mac. AFAIK, the iPhone doesn't do this. The conflict notebook isn't sync'd. It is a temp local storage place.

Do you have a Premium account? you can check the note history from the desktop if you do. I don't think it will help, but worth checking.

The next time this happens, you should never update the note somehwere else to see if it will trigger it to update. Best case, it will cause a note conflict.

Best steps for resolution are:

• check the website evernote account. This is gospel. If anything doesn't agree with that note, then that client is out of sync. Either it doesn't have the latest info, or it has newer info it hasn't pushed up, but if evernote.com doesn't have it, it isn't real. (kinda like pics or it didn't happen!)
  • If you determine a client is out of date, force a sync. Mac is easy - just press sync. iPhone just push the sync icon in the upper right.
  • If you cannot get it to sync and update properly, then DUPLICATE THE NOTE yourself. Copy it to a notebook for safe keeping.
  • Now you can edit on various clients with abandon until they all get in sync. THen with the note you copied, make sure the real note is up to date and delete the copy. Or, must make hte copy the real one and delete the old one, but that will do two things:
    • change any external and internal links you may have created to the note
    • destroy note history, as the copied note begins life when it is copied.

I hope I have understood your issue and was clear enough on the logic of how I resolve these kinds of issue.

On 11/25/2016 at 3:50 PM, EdH said:

Whatever happened, your updates on the 23rd have been overwritten and lost. Every time this happens to me (very very rarely) I get two notes. One where it belongs, but not necessarily correct, and one in a new Conflicts notebook on my PC or Mac. AFAIK, the iPhone doesn't do this. The conflict notebook isn't sync'd. It is a temp local storage place.

Do you have a Premium account? you can check the note history from the desktop if you do. I don't think it will help, but worth checking.

The next time this happens, you should never update the note somehwere else to see if it will trigger it to update. Best case, it will cause a note conflict.

Best steps for resolution are:

• check the website evernote account. This is gospel. If anything doesn't agree with that note, then that client is out of sync. Either it doesn't have the latest info, or it has newer info it hasn't pushed up, but if evernote.com doesn't have it, it isn't real. (kinda like pics or it didn't happen!)
  • If you determine a client is out of date, force a sync. Mac is easy - just press sync. iPhone just push the sync icon in the upper right.
  • If you cannot get it to sync and update properly, then DUPLICATE THE NOTE yourself. Copy it to a notebook for safe keeping.
  • Now you can edit on various clients with abandon until they all get in sync. THen with the note you copied, make sure the real note is up to date and delete the copy. Or, must make hte copy the real one and delete the old one, but that will do two things:
    • change any external and internal links you may have created to the note
    • destroy note history, as the copied note begins life when it is copied.

I hope I have understood your issue and was clear enough on the logic of how I resolve these kinds of issue.

Yes, I made a mistake when I altered the note without checking the web app first, next time I'll know not to do that. I'm still stumped as to why the note didn't sync in the first place, and wish I could get that cleared up...oh well. Thank you for the tips, I'll remember them for next time.

• Level 5*

Any number of things could have caused the note not to sync as soon as you expected. Brief Evernote server maintenance for example, which is often on Wednesday afternoons, which corresponds to the 23rd date. But it could have been your router momentarily out of connection with your ISP, or any other connection issues between your machine and the EN servers. 

Just unfortunate timing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, the same exact thing just happened with the same note. Altered the note in the desktop app, and it syncs to the web client but not my iPhone. This time I'm not touching the note on my phone so I don't lose my updates like I did last time. Manually syncing on the phone does nothing. But I'll try copying the note and deleting the original. 

What is going on here though? This is seriously annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the exact same problem. I have notes that simply will not sync from my computer over. I look on evernote.com, and those notes exist in updated form, but will not sync over to my iphone or my iPad. The only way I have managed to get updates on the note, or notes is to literally delete the app, and re download it. This problem only started happening in the last couple months. It is seriously annoying because I am heavily invested in Evernote with all of my data, and losing sync between my devices sucks. 

• Level 5*
On 2017-01-14 at 10:49 AM, TheocraticJello said:

The only way I have managed to get updates on the note, or notes is to literally delete the app, and re download it. This problem only started happening in the last couple months.

If you force a manual sync, do the notes update - click on the sync icon

It didn't manual sync. I tried every kind of manual syncing, going to the website, going to the mac, going to the iPhone, and the iPad. 

The note I noticed this with was a super old note. I recreated it from scratch and it syncs as expected. I've had it for years, so something it it just didn't sync, no matter what I try. shrug. . . 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, TheocraticJello said:

It didn't manual sync. I tried every kind of manual syncing, going to the website, going to the mac, going to the iPhone, and the iPad. 

The note I noticed this with was a super old note. I recreated it from scratch and it syncs as expected. I've had it for years, so something it it just didn't sync, no matter what I try. shrug. . . 

Glad you resolved it

You could also clear your cache and get rid of that stuck notes; Notes are not actually maintained on mobile devices (exception for offline notebooks)
- Settings > Support > Clear Cache

Archived