MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO REPORT A BUG

1. Good grief, people. For God's sake make it POSSIBLE to report a bug. I don't expect a response, I just want to point out that it exists.

2. My version is 6.4.1.3788 (303788). But I had to type that by hand, because it can't even be copied, much less auto-filled into a message.

3. You can press Ctrl-K to add a link to text, but once the link is in place, Ctrl-K no longer works to edit the link.

4. You can right-click to edit the link, but when you do, the text that was there before is replaced by the link.

19 hours ago, eric_treelight said:

2. My version is 6.4.1.3788 (303788). But I had to type that by hand, because it can't even be copied, much less auto-filled into a message.

This drives me round the twist. You can't even work in Evernote if the 'About' window is open!

• Level 5*
On 11/24/2016 at 4:10 PM, eric_treelight said:

My version is 6.4.1.3788 (303788). But I had to type that by hand, because it can't even be copied, much less auto-filled into a message.

I'll upvote this topic for that one request.

3. You can press Ctrl-K to add a link to text, but once the link is in place, Ctrl-K no longer works to edit the link.

Ctrl+Shift+K is the shortcut for "Edit Link" (the shortcut is shown in the menu that you get when you right-click a link). Ctrl+K is the "Add Hylerlink" shortcut.

4. You can right-click to edit the link, but when you do, the text that was there before is replaced by the link.

When you edit the link, you're actually editing the link (duh), not the text that's displayed instead of the link.If you want to edit the latter, then cursor into that text, and type away.

11 hours ago, Liam Gretton said:

This drives me round the twist. You can't even work in Evernote if the 'About' window is open!

"About" boxes are fairly commonly "modal", i.e., they block you from interacting with the main application. Not sure why you're need it open most of the time. To have it be capable of easily copying the version number is a fair request. To have it be non-modal? Not something I care about either way...

6 hours ago, jefito said:

"About" boxes are fairly commonly "modal", i.e., they block you from interacting with the main application. Not sure why you're need it open most of the time. To have it be capable of easily copying the version number is a fair request. To have it be non-modal? Not something I care about either way...

In my case I document the installation of applications in (you guessed it) Evernote. I can't have the About box open and type the version number in at the same time, and as the OP states, it's not possible to copy any of the information there either. It's obviously not something that happens often but it seems like a pointless restriction to make the box modal.

10 hours ago, Liam Gretton said:

In my case I document the installation of applications in (you guessed it) Evernote. I can't have the About box open and type the version number in at the same time, and as the OP states, it's not possible to copy any of the information there either. It's obviously not something that happens often but it seems like a pointless restriction to make the box modal.

Here is the steps around it:

1. Right-click on tray icon and choose "Clip screenshot".
  2. Use select tool to select "about" dialog box.
  3. When you do, nothing will happen immediately, but when you close dialog box it will open a new note window with the screenshot of "about" dialog box in the body of the note.

I hope I was clear in documenting steps I took and that it will help you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/25/2016 at 7:37 PM, jefito said:

Ctrl+Shift+K is the shortcut for "Edit Link" (the shortcut is shown in the menu that you get when you right-click a link). Ctrl+K is the "Add Hylerlink" shortcut.

Oh! Good to know, I guess. That's not the way Outlook or Word or most anything else I've used does it, which is inconvenient. But at least now I understand what's happening. (Whether I'll remember is another question...). And now I see why Ctrl+K replaces the original text with the link. On the rare occasions when I need it, it saves Ctrl+A to copy the link, moving the cursor to select the original text, and then Ctrl+V to paste the link. That's a savings of a few keystrokes, but it only happens once in a while, so the savings are rare.

What I do a lot more frequently is to visit a link to check where it's going, or to copy part of it, or make some minor adjustment to it. In all those cases, I now know to press Ctrl+Shift+K, rather than Ctrl+K. In my view, the usage statistics suggest that the wrong optimization was done, but I'm a data point of one. I wonder how many others have fallen into the same trap (especially given that Ctrl+K = edit in Word, Outlook, and some other programs)?

Archived